Unexpected behaviour on Cycle Lanes

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Fogey

Re: Unexpected behaviour on Cycle Lanes

Post by Fogey »

Ellieb wrote:The point is, if you are ridng on a cycle path you are going to have choose to ride on one side or the other. So why not choose to ride on the same side as everyone else who is going in the same direction. It really isn't a hardship. I can't quite understand why people appear to be resistant to this rather simple idea. It is also safer, more predictable and enables you to make consistent progress along the path without having to stop or work out which way the person coming towards you is going to go. No brainer as far as I am concerned.

Because the majority of people cycle on the left.

The problem is the significant minority of numptys who don't.
Ellieb

Post by Ellieb »

Fogey wrote:
Ellieb wrote:The point is, if you are ridng on a cycle path you are going to have choose to ride on one side or the other. So why not choose to ride on the same side as everyone else who is going in the same direction. It really isn't a hardship. I can't quite understand why people appear to be resistant to this rather simple idea. It is also safer, more predictable and enables you to make consistent progress along the path without having to stop or work out which way the person coming towards you is going to go. No brainer as far as I am concerned.

Because the majority of people cycle on the left.

The problem is the significant minority of numptys who don't.

You misunderstand me. That is what I mean: Cycle on the left like the vast majority do.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Because of bumps, dog poo, tree roots, baby buggies, mud, or just the view? I keep to one side, though if there is no one else about that does tend to become middle-ish.

Yes, it's simpler if everyone can keep to the left (or right if in many other countries), but not everyone is capable. This is one of the reasons we have cycle paths. If everyone capable of riding a bike was also capable of following such rules, we wouldn't need cycle paths; they'd all ride on the road. But as bicycles and tricycles are also mobility aids, and toddlers can ride them, and other people who may be much more vulnerable in motor traffic than you & I, I think we just have to take care and not assume that other people are as capable as we are.

Otherwise, use the road. Most of us can. Maybe someone who displays 'unexpected behaviour' on a cycle path isn't safe or able to ride on the road. That may be true even if the person looks 'normal'.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Ellieb

Post by Ellieb »

I think this^ rather depends on the cycle path. The ones I'm thinking of in Edinburgh are sufficiently busy that if you couldn't manage to ride on one particular side you would be a danger to yourself and other path users.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

It's rather scary that a few who presumably do drive cars seem to have no sense at all when riding a cycle route. Makes me wonder about their road sense.

I chuckled one day when a cyclist who was approaching me was dithering about which side to pass. After hesitation he did pass on my right, but close behind him was his young son, say 10-12 years old, who called out to his father "Keep to the left, Dad".

On another occasion a cyclist was approaching me on his "wrong" side of the path. I kept to my left of the path without going off the track, leaving him nearly the full width of track to cycle on. Unbelievably he decided to wobble through some rather rough vegetation which almost slowed him to a standstill and pass on my left.

However thankfully most people who cycle do pass by keeping to their left.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Vorpal wrote:Yes, it's simpler if everyone can keep to the left (or right if in many other countries), but not everyone is capable. This is one of the reasons we have cycle paths.

Well said!
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

I've often thought that despite our road rules people have the tendency to go to the right. I notice that in the likes of walking etc, that people will tend to the right. So when presented with a situation where they believe there are no 'rules' they will tend to go right?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Ellieb wrote:I think this^ rather depends on the cycle path. The ones I'm thinking of in Edinburgh are sufficiently busy that if you couldn't manage to ride on one particular side you would be a danger to yourself and other path users.

If a 5 year old is a 'danger' on a cycle path, there is something wrong with the design of the path, not the 5 year old.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
Ellieb

Post by Ellieb »

Vorpal wrote:
Ellieb wrote:I think this^ rather depends on the cycle path. The ones I'm thinking of in Edinburgh are sufficiently busy that if you couldn't manage to ride on one particular side you would be a danger to yourself and other path users.

If a 5 year old is a 'danger' on a cycle path, there is something wrong with the design of the path, not the 5 year old.

I wondered if you might say that. But there is a difference between a child on a bike which anyone (with any sense) can see and therefore exercise due caution around, and an adult. Sure, there may be special cases and people with specific difficulties but I would humbly suggest that isn't what we are looking at here. The average adult, blessed with normal cognitive functions and motor skills should be able to ride on one side of the path. It is safer if the side of the path on which they ride is the same as other people going in that direction. This isn't a debate about competence, it is about whether a Laissez-faire attitude is appropriate for a path with people approaching from the opposite direction.
Last edited by Ellieb on 3 Nov 2015, 12:04pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

But is it really dangerous?

I would argue that is not even dangerous to cycle on the wrong side of the road. It's clearly not as safe as cycling with the flow of traffic, but in Norway, I regularly see people cycling on the wrong side of the road, and I'm sure that they do it because they a) think of themselves as pedestrians and b) have never read the Norwegian HC. I encountered this in the UK, as well, though not as frequently.

IMO, much of the HC improves traffic flow, but actually does very little for safety.
Ellieb

Post by Ellieb »

Well on the cycle path I am thinking of, two people collided at a corner, leaving one with life changing head injuries. So 'Yes' would be my answer. Obviously there is more than one factor in the collision (as always) but both being on the same side of the path doesn't help.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Vorpal wrote:But is it really dangerous?

I would argue that is not even dangerous to cycle on the wrong side of the road. It's clearly not as safe as cycling with the flow of traffic, but in Norway, I regularly see people cycling on the wrong side of the road, and I'm sure that they do it because they a) think of themselves as pedestrians and b) have never read the Norwegian HC. I encountered this in the UK, as well, though not as frequently.

I've only encountered it a handful of times in the UK. Once with on road marked cycle lanes and young lad on a MTB came towards me I sat up a little with a confused look on my face and got a "**** off" from him without any prompting!
Last edited by Vorpal on 3 Nov 2015, 12:37pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: thinly disguised swearing
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mark1978 wrote:I've only encountered it a handful of times in the UK. Once with on road marked cycle lanes and young lad on a MTB came towards me I sat up a little with a confused look on my face and got a "**** off" from him without any prompting!

Yes, "salmoning" is a rather rare thing but does happen. It's more common when a cycle lane is only marked on one side of the road. I've not seen it for a while but the cycle route where it used to happen most has been rerouted away from that bit of road to one that is more easily two-way cycleable.

But then, why is salmoning a problem when it's a cycle lane and yet often encouraged when it's a cycle track on only one side of a carriageway?
Ellieb wrote:This isn't a debate about competence, it is about whether a Laissez-faire attitude is appropriate for a path with people approaching from the opposite direction.

This isn't a debate about laissez-faire. Not even I leave them to do entirely as they like, with my hand signals and so on. This is a debate about whether this is worth bothering about ;)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I think it comes down to conflicting expectations of cycle lanes. Whether they are roads for cyclists or places for riding bikes.
Fogey

Post by Fogey »

Ellieb wrote:The average adult, blessed with normal cognitive functions and motor skills...

What is this strange creature? And what are "normal cognitive functions and motor skills?"

At the beginning and end of a working day, I am willing to bet my bike that very few cyclists are functioning at a level you might consider "normal."