Today's numpty count

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Pyranha

Re: Today's numpty count

Post by Pyranha »

Postboxer wrote:Regarding number 3., in similar circumstances, if you aren't entirely certain there isn't a car overtaking closely, do you gamble and swerve around or brake and hit them? You can't always be 100% certain of what is behind you.

I've done the 'brake and hit' tactic when I knew there was a bus close behind. A woman felt that she shouldn't have to wait with the masses at a pelican crossing so stepped out of the crowd into the road, just as the bus was nearing my rear wheel and I had the choice of hitting her, or swerving into the bus or the crowd. We ended up tangled in the gutter and I'm sure her pale linen suit was a write off; I had a couple of bruises. It took me quite a while to stop shaking. It's not even as if she could have crossed, with the bus coming up.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Mick F wrote:
Peds these days "look" with their ears only, instead of using ears plus eyes.
It's become ingrained or conditioned in most of us. Traffic on a road is noisy. No noise=no traffic.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

TonyR wrote:Three.

1. Waiting at the centre line to pull out and turn right at a t-junction. Driver pulls up on the left of me and tries to turn right with me

On my commute there are two points where I have to turn right off a main road. Apparently looking over your shoulder, sticking an arm out, looking again, then moving right in the lane means "No, I'm staying right here - you just go on and overtake, m'kay?".
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

MikeF wrote:
Mick F wrote:
Peds these days "look" with their ears only, instead of using ears plus eyes.
It's become ingrained or conditioned in most of us. Traffic on a road is noisy. No noise=no traffic.

The trouble is, many of them are on their mobiles as well, some even with earphones. So they aren't looking or listening.
And modern cars can be very quiet.