pedal power

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mercalia

pedal power

Post by mercalia »

A new e-bike mentioned in an article in the London Evening Standard

Click to enlarge
Click to enlarge
Chris the Sheep

Re: pedal power

Post by Chris the Sheep »

A reasonably positive article - but as usual the only ebikes that grab the press's attention are the outlandish / gimmicky / branded-by-a-car-maker ones. There are loads of really good quality ebikes out there that are more like conventional bikes - just as cheap and easy to maintain, as long as the motor unit doesn't fail - and that's pretty unlikely. Shimano Steps (like my Scott), Bosch etc - that's where the future is for ebikes.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Positive article? There's so much I find wrong in it!
"Banana bread and .... avocado oil" Don't know what those are. I'll have a slice of wholemeal, please!
"Sticky underarms" We have a shower. 'nuff said!
"James Bond style puncture-proof tyres" - specify (if you can!)
"GPS-Enabled smart lock ... once you're 10m away" Oh yeah! I had plenty of fun with that nonsense on an American car I'd rented.
"Top speed 15mph" - OK, yes I believe it is the limit for electric-assists, but even a slowcoach like me can get faster than that using human power alone, on the flat.
"Doesn't come cheap ... wlll set you back £1289" Perhaps he should check out the prices of middle-to-top range road or MTB bikes?
"Chris Evans ... is a convert ... BMW and Audi ..." Say no more!
At least the final paragraph redresses the balance. As I see it, why is the article entitled "Pedal Power" when that's exactly what it isn't?

To be fair, I don't see anything wrong in electric bikes. It's the way they're presented in this article that seems so wrong.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

But this is "designed to be a tax free scooter"
So 15mph is what you'll get...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I had a look at the website and it looked a neat machine - unlike the heavy monsters I often see near where I live
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

To me that article is a piece of stupid journalism, but it did prompt me to check out what it was talking about so perhaps it has succeeded. :wink:
This is the machine it's describing.
An interesting design, but I wonder if the manufacturer is concentrating on gimmicks rather than practicalities. Nothing wrong with a belt drive, but I ride a bike in long trousers and a "greasy chain" without problems. Unlike this bike I also have mudguards, which keep my clothes fairly clean. That's a very strange looking minimal spoke wheel design; is it strong enough? Is this a design by someone who has never ridden a bike? It's main feature is that it's a folding electric bike - maybe there's a market for that? But it would be absolutely useless for shopping as there aren't carrying facilities.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

"..Carefully challenging every aspect and design of the traditional bike" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7nullChir4 :shock: Nothing wrong with that principle; that's probably why we ride safety bikes instead of ordinaries. However I now need to lower my saddle so my knees are nearer my chin. :?
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

MikeF wrote:To me that article is a piece of stupid journalism, but it did prompt me to check out what it was talking about so perhaps it has succeeded. :wink:
This is the machine it's describing.
An interesting design, but I wonder if the manufacturer is concentrating on gimmicks rather than practicalities. Nothing wrong with a belt drive, but I ride a bike in long trousers and a "greasy chain" without problems. Unlike this bike I also have mudguards, which keep my clothes fairly clean. That's a very strange looking minimal spoke wheel design; is it strong enough? Is this a design by someone who has never ridden a bike? It's main feature is that it's a folding electric bike - maybe there's a market for that? But it would be absolutely useless for shopping as there aren't carrying facilities.

ah an eletric Brompton? A folding elctric bike? I think there would be a good market for that with commuters who see a bike as just a getmetowork device with no sweat - take it to the desk and plug it in ready for the home trip.
gaz

Post by gaz »

mercalia wrote:ah an eletric Brompton? A folding elctric bike? I think there would be a good market for that with commuters who see a bike as just a getmetowork device with no sweat - take it to the desk and plug it in ready for the home trip.

Conversion kits are available e.g. http://www.nanoelectricbikes.co.uk/
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade