Waterproof walking boots and bottoms - would that do?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
RideToWorky

Re: Waterproof walking boots and bottoms - would that do?

Post by RideToWorky »

Hiya all,

I took the dive tonight and wore my waterproof bottoms, and also walking boots. It was quite wet out there on the commute home!

I must say it worked a treat!

I unzipped the very top sides of the waterproof bottoms, and just buttoned them down. My sides were dry regardless.

Also the work the walking boots works fine with the pedals! It didn't interfere with peddling at all. In fact, the instep bit, to help you walk with a good stance, also helped with good posture was cycling!

Glad to see this works. I could use this for winter commuting as well, for when it gets really cold.

Also glad, because of the sheer cost of waterproofs and cycling shoes Etc

Regards Martin
AJ101

Post by AJ101 »

Are you running SPD type pedals? (or for anyone else reading that is and considering the same) I've seen some great winter boot type shoes that you can walk in, click in with and aren't as wide as walking boots so don't keep rubbing on the cranks or worse on the pedal.

Cheapest , Medium, Expensive but great, Or if you want a road version

if you find later that you overheat riding uphill in waterproof trousers (unless its REALLY cold where you live!), an old courier trick was to wear regular roubaix style tights with a cheap pair of waterproof trousers cut down to make them into baggy shorts ergo your bum and back stayed dry and your legs wouldn't be bothered by being wet and dry off anyway.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Today planned second training ride this week, extended due to detour road works then trip to the chemist 43 miles appx.
At twenty miles still light rain took off w/proof top and cycled the rest in shorts and sleeveless top with overshoes and fingerless gloves.
Heavy traffic and double decker bus was all over cycle lane (just 20 " wide and plastered with drains full width :?
There is a 100mil + bypass here I wonder what they will do about this crummy cycle lane..............not a lot.
Anyway decided that drafting the bus and wow warm dry and windless was safer than in the gutter.
Tipped it down for last ten miles but felt warm and dry feet.
At 12 C I wasn't going to be cold, over heating stifles the energy, just use high gears and keep moving.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
RideToWorky

Post by RideToWorky »

AJ101 wrote:Are you running SPD type pedals? (or for anyone else reading that is and considering the same) I've seen some great winter boot type shoes that you can walk in, click in with and aren't as wide as walking boots so don't keep rubbing on the cranks or worse on the pedal.

if you find later that you overheat riding uphill in waterproof trousers (unless its REALLY cold where you live!), an old courier trick was to wear regular roubaix style tights with a cheap pair of waterproof trousers cut down to make them into baggy shorts ergo your bum and back stayed dry and your legs wouldn't be bothered by being wet and dry off anyway.

Great Advice AJ!

I'll look out for those boots, next time I have to replace worn out walking boots!

RE:Courier idea - ah, cool!, alos with some gaiters perhaps to complete the look 8)

Cheers
Martin
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

AJ101 wrote:Are you running SPD type pedals? (or for anyone else reading that is and considering the same) I've seen some great winter boot type shoes that you can walk in, click in with and aren't as wide as walking boots so don't keep rubbing on the cranks or worse on the pedal.

I have the 'road version' ones. I like them a lot, great for the lanes when the lanes are wet even when it isn't raining. I use mesh spinning shoes in the summer, and these in the winter though as I don't commute I can't say how hard wearing they might be. They keep my feet as warm as toast - when I go into them at this time of year I have to go back to midsummer thin socks, I only use thick socks in them in the really cold weather.
But I was warned you need a size larger than usual in them, and that I found to be correct.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

[quote="RideToWorky

.....................I'll look out for those boots, next time I have to replace worn out walking boots!

Cheers
Martin[/quote]

A bit OT, but if your walking boots have worn soles but still-good uppers, I found a firm in Burnley which re-sole and they did a great job on my scarpas. Far cheaper than a new pair, and as I find it hard to get a pair that doesn't rub, I know the resoled ones will fit me, an added bonus.
http://lancashiresportsrepairs.co.uk/
They also repair/reproof all sorts of other outdoor gear, garments, tents, the lot. They say they do bike shoes too.
RideToWorky

Post by RideToWorky »

Flinders wrote:[quote="RideToWorky

.....................I'll look out for those boots, next time I have to replace worn out walking boots!

Cheers
Martin

A bit OT, but if your walking boots have worn soles but still-good uppers, I found a firm in Burnley which re-sole and they did a great job on my scarpas. Far cheaper than a new pair, and as I find it hard to get a pair that doesn't rub, I know the resoled ones will fit me, an added bonus.
http://lancashiresportsrepairs.co.uk/
They also repair/reproof all sorts of other outdoor gear, garments, tents, the lot. They say they do bike shoes too.[/quote]

Thanks for the advise Flinders

For myself though, I looked into it a while back, when myself and the missus were walking alot. It wasn't that economical to us here in bristol, no decent local comblers etc.

also, wer always make a point of going for half price sales for shoes, end of season for next year etc

Regards
MArtin
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Martin, they do do a postal service, though I appreciate that makes it cost more. I have friends who live locally and they dropped mine off for me.
They reconditioned the leather too in the price, the boots are like new. But it wouldn't be worth it if the uppers are wearing out, of course. I do a lot on rocky ground so wear my soles out well before the uppers.