Waterproof walking boots and bottoms - would that do?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
RideToWorky

Waterproof walking boots and bottoms - would that do?

Post by RideToWorky »

Hi All,

Had a thought:

Autumn / Winter wet commuting, 6.5 miles, up hill on way home!

For the lower half, can i simply use my waterproof walking boots and bottoms?
(The high boots would stop water getting into the shoe nicely, and the sole treads would be useful with slippery leaf covered floors at lights etc)

Is it really just the top half that needs all that sweat ventilation management - needing a good proper cycle specific top?

Your educated thougfhts on this would be appreciated.

regards
Martin
irc

Re: Waterproof walking boots and bottoms - would that do?

Post by irc »

My set up for commuting was - full mudguards with good sized mudflap on front mudguard. So it's only rain getting you wet not spray.

Top half a goretex jacket. Bottom half Rainlegs on top of Ron Hill Tracksters which work OK if they get damp/wet.

Shoes. - Normal MTB shoes. Neoprene overshoes for heavy rain or very cold weather.

IMO what Rainlegs lose in not covering the lower legs they gain by having great ventilation.

http://road.cc/content/review/56364-rai ... leg-covers
ArMoRothair

Post by ArMoRothair »

Another fan of Rainlegs here.

They work really well in light rain, or changeable conditions, when you feel a twit for putting on over-trousers and it stops raining five minutes later.

They're also surprisingly good in an absolute downpour as I proved this summer when my Vulpine Rain Jacket leaked like a sieve and the only dry bit of me was the small bit covered by the Rainlegs.

I just wish they didn't put that pointless extra padding around the knees. What is that for? It just makes them more bulky when rolled up than they need to be.

irc has the answer for footwear: it's good mudguards; and not just mudguards but you need mud-flaps too. I've resorted to bolting a sliced-in-half plastic mineral water bottle on mudguards in the past. It looks ridiculous but you'll laugh with pleasure at blasting through deep puddles without getting wet.

I've just answered your other thread with how I cope with real downpours on my commute. I have an old pair of PVC over-trousers which I've extended with home-made over-shoes. These are bullet proof and guarantee arriving at work with dry feet.
drossall

Post by drossall »

I have to say that I never wear waterproof bottoms, owing to the boil-in-the-bag problem. If it's really wet, I may take a change of trousers for the other end.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Gave up on w/proof trousers long time ago.
I just use shorts and shoe protectors then change at work.
You will sweat a lot and end up as damp as if you didn't wear anything.
Cold knees then just wear half leggings.

Walking boots................snow and long grass maybe.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

RideToWorky wrote:For the lower half, can i simply use my waterproof walking boots and bottoms?

That's what I do. 8)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Six and a half miles isn't too too far. The biggest issue is that anything waterproof stops you losing heat - and your legs are generating the most power.

Don't forget that skin is basically waterproof, nor that many sports use wet clothing as insulation (wetsuit). It's not the water that gets you cold, it's the continual replacement of that water.

Stuff that dries quickly in the office is probably more important on the way in (particularly if you get changed anyway)
On the way home you're about to hop in a nice shower anyway :)

The only concern is if you have to stop for a fairy visit - then you can get cold.

Personally I use a minimally showerproof top, and my normal tights. If the rain is heavy then I'm going to be wet anyway, if it isn't that heavy then I get a choice between sweat and rain (I consider rain to be preferable), if it's light then the top does very well, and the legs dry out fast.
Last week was the first time in ages* I had to change my socks at work (I always have a few pairs of socks and undies in my drawers).

* Certainly the first time this year, don't recall having to change them last year at all...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Just wear some cycle specific tights ie Gore repel, and take normal trousers for working in, it is surprising how fast these tights dry out, i have a towel and roll damp items of clothes in this, it absorbs a lot water then they can dry out over the course of the working day.
I did try the waterproof overtrouser route, but gave up on them years ago, as i either it stopped raining for part or all of the ride after i had put them on, constant stopping and starting to put on and take off ate into my travel time, and i ended up far too boil in the bag.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Zimba

Post by Zimba »

I do a 9 miles each way commute. What never ceases to amaze me is how thoroughly wet you can get in 500 yards!
Usually the LAST 500 yards. ..
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

Goretex (or equivalent trainers.) I bought the ones I use on my bike from a military surplus place near me, brand new for £25. I've also bought a pair of Regatta 'Garsdale Low' trainers for a similar price from The Range. (These ones use 'Isotex' but it seems to work as well.)

A decent pair will have the tongues joined to the main body of the trainer, forming a full barrier which the water can't get past. I've put both these pairs of trainers through hell, and they haven't let me down. Then just stick some overtrousers over the top - mine are long enough that the water runs down onto the outside of the trainer rather than onto my ankles.

On the few occasions I've had to cycle in hiking boots, I've not liked the feel of it - like trying to write an essay wearing boxing gloves.
loch eck steve

Post by loch eck steve »

I used walking waterproof trousers for a long while but found they were in general too wide at the bottom and would get caught in the chain . my solution to this was to wear walking gaiters over my footwear and lower trousers , which also stopped water going down my boots !
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Zimba wrote:I do a 9 miles each way commute. What never ceases to amaze me is how thoroughly wet you can get in 500 yards!
Usually the LAST 500 yards. ..

Oh yes just love those days...... Congratulate myself that have made it to work without any rain then the heaven's open.
The other fun one is when the heavens open just as you are on some complex junction, or there is no nearby shelter and by the time you have stopped and retrieved waterproofs you are wet through due to the strength and volume of rain....
I swear the weather gods waited for me to get to the same point a few years ago, 2 days running before unleashing a deluge.... I was negotiating the complex M65/M6/A6 junction area of south Preston at the time but was soaked by the time i got to the nearest point i where i could pull over.....
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
loch eck steve

Post by loch eck steve »

Or the opposite side of the coin , you get all your waterproofs on then within 5 minutes the sun is blazing !!! and by the time you find somewhere to stop your like a boil in the bag meal :D :D
RideToWorky

Post by RideToWorky »

Thanks for the advice, and also for all the insights of what can go wrong!

I think I will try this:
1.when it's absolutely freezing, simply to waterproof bottoms and walking boots, see how that works
2.when it's raining and warm, not sure about this! Will experiment on a few things

Cheers
Martin
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
It used to plastic bags and elastic bands, the elastic bands used to live around the seat pillar, you may still find elastic bands there today even though I first used them in the seventies :) For your feet.
Then I made some spats (old water proofs and a sewing machine and sew on poppers) they fitted on my work shoes.
It was probably the eighties when I discarded the w/proof trousers for running shorts and a t shirt with a cheap shower proof top, then change at work.

It would have to be 0 C to consider longs for commuting.
I wear shoe covers if its cold and or wet today and a weather top, like said its boil in the bag otherwise.
Just arrive with time to cool off at work.

I see Aldi were selling off shoe covers quite long ones too yesterday but only small sizes.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.