Advise on decent Waterproofs Please - Avoiding Clammy etc

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
RideToWorky

Advise on decent Waterproofs Please - Avoiding Clammy etc

Post by RideToWorky »

Hiya All,

Carrying on from previous threads.

warm and wet weather, even the best goretex walking stuff seems to gets too hot, and breathability not work, due to weird osmossis stuff etc.

Can you advise on any clever / Decent weather proof stuff?

Bottoms - fitted best? or just any walking bottoms?

Tops - vents etc?

Hope you help - best great to hear from your experiences!

Regards
Martin
RideToWorky

Re: Advise on decent Waterproofs Please - Avoiding Clammy et

Post by RideToWorky »

Hiya All,

Should have said:

FOR OVER WINTER AS WELL - so warm enough for winter commuting as well!

not asking for the world really! 8)
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

Can't be done, just get used to it :P
Have not managed it in over 30 years of outdoor activities.
Better to be warm and damp, than colds and wet.
As for what to wear, I could suggest something, but then someone usually chips in saying that bit of kit is crap, and you should use this other piece of kit.

Neil
If it aint broke, fix it til it is.
RideToWorky

Post by RideToWorky »

Neilo wrote:Can't be done, just get used to it :P
Have not managed it in over 30 years of outdoor activities.
Better to be warm and damp, than colds and wet.
As for what to wear, I could suggest something, but then someone usually chips in saying that bit of kit is crap, and you should use this other piece of kit.

Neil

Hi Neil,

kinda thought that would be the case!
Not like motorbikes, where one dosen't sweat in winter, and just sitting there - so both possible.

Is it the swimming "Wet suit" idea then?
Ie ok, get wet, but its controlled, and one is in a warmth pocket from the wind chill?

Am I looking for "windblocker" products, rather than "waterproof" then?

Hope you can advise!

Regards
Martin
Ellieb

Post by Ellieb »

The Gore Bike wear Oxygen 2.0 jacket is excellent, but it depends on how much you want to pay. The RRP is around £200. It pretty much does the job you want (for me anyway)
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

There is often a very thin line between performance and failure with 'breathable' fabrics and even windproofs in terms of keeping you warm and dry. The problem is that you lose heat all across your skin in the form of sweat and your bit of exercise increases the need to dump heat. In the 'good old days' before we had all this technical stuff i can't remember having the same problems, you just spent half the year wrapped like the Michelin man!

IME breathable fabrics work best when they are next to your skin with diminishing performance the more you wear. I go for wind proof faced garments these days and a sturdier anti wet layer that can add insulation from wet and cold but usually no more than 2 layers.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
meic

Post by meic »

I agree with Neilo above but I will stick my neck out a bit as after a long time searching, I have something that works for me.

A Paramo Quito. I can wear it all day and unlike other waterproofs the inside of the jacket doesnt get soaking wet.
The item nearest to my skin is the wettest (from sweat) and it gets drier from there up to the wet outside of the Paramo.

The extensive pitzips and baggy fit help moisture get out more quickly when doing the intensive cycling (up hills).

It may turn out to be a bit too much work maintaining its functionality but you can wear something else on the majority of days when it isnt raining.
Yma o Hyd
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

meic wrote:I agree with Neilo above but I will stick my neck out a bit as after a long time searching, I have something that works for me.

A Paramo Quito. I can wear it all day and unlike other waterproofs the inside of the jacket doesnt get soaking wet.

I have one, cuffs are crap, but overall very good. Quite versatile, winter cycling, summer mountaineering, even winter mountaineering in the Cairngorms on a calm clear day.
I have a lot of paramo kit, love it, But it is a bit like Marmite for a lot of people

Neil
If it aint broke, fix it til it is.
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

After my last soaking in heavy rain which breached the 'waterproofs' I was wearing (in fairness they were a set only intended for light showers) I decided to try a rain cape. I got one for £15 from a LBS made of PVC with welded seams. Only been out in a couple of showers with it since then and it has been OK. It goes on quickly over whatever you are wearing - the only additional kit that might be required in very wet conditions would be over shoes as it keeps your legs covered as well. It does trap some heat but being open at the bottom you get a reasonable amount of ventilation. It does make hand signals a bit more awkward but no other drawbacks that I have found so far.
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

Another Paramo user here.....I have three of their jackets, they MIGHT not be the best but they are the best that I have used.

For cycling I use the Fuera jacket. It is definitely NOT waterproof but it is not sold as waterproof....it is sold as a windproof and as such it's very good, with excellent breathability. Pit vents and a hood that goes over a helmet, a high neck and a couple of decent pockets. If it's cold I wear a light base layer under the Fuera and if it rains I add fairly basic 'Target-Dri' jacket/over-trousers.

This lot works as well as anything that I have used. As has already been said, waterproof/breathable/windproof utopia just doesn't exist. I come from a motorcycling background and there are people out there that spend 1500 quid on waterproof motorcycling suits and then complain that they leak/make them sweat/poor vents....etc....etc....

As my kids would say....'Suck it up'.... :mrgreen:
MartinC

Post by MartinC »

Elizabethsdad wrote:.......................no other drawbacks that I have found so far.

Wait for a windy day!
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I swear by my poncho, similar to a cape. Lots of disadvantages, makes you into windbreak, arm twisting to signal but the clue is plenty of ventilation stops the claminess. I have a merino wool long sleeved vest which is great to keep you dry too.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
PH

Post by PH »

This winters experiment:
Windproof jacket, which also seems to be pretty water resistant
Waterproof gilet, carried in the back pocket and only used when really needed
Merino arm warmers, for when it's cold as well as wet, hopefully they'll be warm even when wet, as I’ve found other merino stuff to be.
ArMoRothair

Post by ArMoRothair »

Long years of commuting has me decided upon:

Super light wind-proof jacket, totally breathable and not the slightest waterproof, worn over thin fleece jersey. I choose with care one which will zip up snugly on my neck, and velcro tightly on the cuffs, I find this combo is good enough for even the coldest mornings; simply unzipping and opening the cuffs is sufficient when things get warmer. In addition I always carry a Goretex smock. When it rains I stop and put on the Goretex. It's annoying having to stop, but I've never found one jacket which will do both applications.

For my legs: if it rains on the way home I'm willing to cope with wet tights. If it's really chucking it down on the way into work I have an old pair of PVC over-trousers, the sort of things bin-men wear, which I've adopted with home-made over-shoes sewn on. These behave like fishermen's waders and I can cycle through floods without getting wet.
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

Another strategy which I've tried and it works for me, is to wear a waterproof breathable jacket, but only a thin top underneath, because if you are cold, then you won't sweat. If you find yourself getting warm, just slow down. My ride home is all hills and it can get sweaty, but I can balance the air temp against the effort after long experience. It sounds wrong to go slow when it's raining and you want to get home, but once you are sealed up and dry, then does it matter?

We've got some development fabric at work which is, according to the testers, more breathable than Goretex or Event and completely waterproof. My jacket in this is fantastic, but there were manufacturing problems, so didn't progress the project. BIG shame.