Cycling Autumn in UK-Bristol/West country-How wet is it?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
RideToWorky

Cycling Autumn in UK-Bristol/West country-How wet is it?

Post by RideToWorky »

Hiya All,

Cycling over Autumn/Winter in UK - Bristol/West country - How wet is it on average?!?!

months - Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb/April

Reason I ask:

Do I really need to buy a fully waterproof winter clothing for autumn/winter?

I've found waterproof macs sweaty nasty affairs for anything more than 30minutes. End up unzipping regardless of rain etc!

I've got a brilliant windproof mack, with perforations on back - not sweaty like with fully waterproof macs
Was hoping to just do the train on any infrequent downpour days over the next few months!

How long is a peice of string question
Here is hoping!

Cheers
Martin
Heltor Chasca

Re: Cycling Autumn in UK-Bristol/West country-How wet is it?

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Hi Martin. In a word?

WET[emoji299]️[emoji949][emoji98]

I never used to run mudguards till I came to the West Country put it that way. I'm also a gardener so I feel I'm in touch with the weather.

That said, I've never experienced such wonderful countryside to cycle in. Bristol and Bath have probably some of the best traffic-free cycling infrastructure in the country. You won't need a GoPro so what you save on that get yourself a decent set of wet-gear.

I use cheap Dickies waterproofs down below and I've got a top notch Gill jacket which has HUGE vents from your elbow to your ribs and the option of Velcro 'gaps' as well as a front zipper. I never get too clammy. Too hot for the summer so I use a light micro fleece.

Hope that helps...b
honesty

Post by honesty »

It can be wet down here. As the western most part of the British isles we get a lot of the south westerlies blowing in of the Atlantic so get a lot of rain from winter storms (and very windy). I does mean that we can be warmer than elsewhere in the UK though. It's usually a few degrees warmer here in Somerset compared to where I grew up in Leicestershire. Saying all that the moors (Exmoor, Dartmoor, Bodmin moor) can be lethal.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

I live near Bath and cycle a few times a week - I don't commute

I'm not sure how it compares with the rest of the UK, but if I was commuting I would buy the best waterproofs and mudguards I could afford

Yes, it rains, often heavy, sometimes for days, occasionally for weeks
Phileas

Post by Phileas »

I've commuted in Bristol for 20 years. I don't personally consider the weather here to be.particularly wet.

Mudguards are essential for utility cycling.

Waterproofs are always slightly problematic. When it rains it's usually mild, in which case waterproofs tend to be too warm
RideToWorky

Post by RideToWorky »

Thanks for all the advise guys!

Guessing I'm looking into Waterproofs then!

Regards
Martin
RideToWorky

Post by RideToWorky »

Phileas wrote:

.....Waterproofs are always slightly problematic. When it rains it's usually mild, in which case waterproofs tend to be too warm....

Thats exactly the issue I find with waterproofs. Eg. Goretex Walking stuff even!

Will start up a separate thread!

Regards
Martin
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Heltor Chasca wrote:Bristol and Bath have probably some of the best traffic-free cycling infrastructure in the country. You won't need a GoPro...

Hi Heltor, I too live in Bristol and have enjoyed the infrastructure here for a long time - without a GoPro. Can you expand on that statement of yours?
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

simonineaston wrote:
Heltor Chasca wrote:Bristol and Bath have probably some of the best traffic-free cycling infrastructure in the country. You won't need a GoPro...

Hi Heltor, I too live in Bristol and have enjoyed the infrastructure here for a long time - without a GoPro. Can you expand on that statement of yours?

Sure: As the routes are mainly traffic-free, those who choose to film their rides in traffic (for whatever reason) don't have to, so you don't need a camera. Have I managed to avoid an argument Simon? I hope so.

Of the 6 hours I've just spent working in a client's garden today, at least half of it was in the rain. I'd vote that Martin gets some wet gear...b
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Get some wet weather gear but use it only sparingly or as needed, a gilet can be useful for cool days and days where it is only a bit drizzly... depends on how well you can dry kit out at work. Lancashire is not exactly a dry county either, but often find rain is not always continuous even during the commute, if you can vary your commute time slightly you can sometimes miss rain, ie stop at work have a brew, wait 15 mins and it may have abated a bit...

over the years i have had days where it rains for the whole commute in and home.
Rains one direction not the other.
Rains when part way into journey.
Raining when leave home but stops or eases up en route.
Starts then stops again, then will start again.
Dry ride in and dry ride home but has rained while i have been at work (oh lucky lucky me).
Lots of dry rides in both directions.

3,4, and 5 I dislike most as I either i start in full waterproofs and wear less clothing underneath, or i am clothed for a dry commute and have to remove a layer when i put waterproof on.... either way end up too hot and sweaty inside the waterproofs.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Heltor Chasca wrote:
simonineaston wrote:

Sure: As the routes are mainly traffic-free, those who choose to film their rides in traffic (for whatever reason) don't have to, so you don't need a camera. Have I managed to avoid an argument Simon? I hope so.

Of the 6 hours I've just spent working in a client's garden today, at least half of it was in the rain. I'd vote that Martin gets some wet gear...b

+ one for the wet gear!
Back to the subject of GoPro (no argument will be had :-))... are you saying that it is a good idea to have a camera record your view, when cycling on roads that are not traffic free? If so, what is the intended benefit? I am asking because this whole concept is new to me and I don't get it, although I'm assuming that the idea is based on the notion that fellow road users might be nudged into treating you the cyclist, with greater respect than otherwise, as soon as they register that their actions are being recorded. If that's the plan, then it seems to be based on a a whole lot of assumptions which I wouldn't mind seeing some evidence for...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Simon I'm not saying anything or insinuating anything about cameras. I think you've read your own opinions into my thread. I'm in the dark as much as you are with these cameras. Therefore I can't provide you with any evidence. I've never owned one and never will. I have clear reasons for that but I suspect I'll fire up an argument with the pro-GoPro crew, so for now I'll keep them to myself. They aren't a million miles from your reasoning for the record.

Are we friends still? [emoji6]
Jon Lucas

Post by Jon Lucas »

In reply to Martin.

I've lived in Bristol and now Bath for over 40 years and have kept a weather record most of that time, so can confirm it does rain on the majority of days, about two thirds to be precise. However, that includes many days or nights when there will be little more than some drizzle or occasional showers, so the weather isn't generally too bad. Occasionally there will be days when it just pours all day, but they aren't that frequent, and as you say, you can use the train to avoid those (a lot of others will be as well!). I've only ever recorded one month when some rain fell on every day, in November 2009, though it can feel like that more often :( while some months can be relatively dry, especially March and April (I see you have included April in your list, which can be the driest month). The wind is often more of a problem, if it is blowing straight up the Bristol Channel then it can certainly be gusty. I would say waterproofs are necessary, but if you have a choice of occasional public transport, you won't get very wet that often.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Heltor Chasca wrote:Are we friends still?
of course! :D
S
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

simonineaston wrote:
Heltor Chasca wrote:Are we friends still?
of course! :D

Phew! That makes me pleased. It's so easy to end up in a confrontation using the written word. [emoji850]