Commuting in Winter - Would Motorbike Gloves work?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
RideToWorky

Commuting in Winter - Would Motorbike Gloves work?

Post by RideToWorky »

Hiya All,
Nice to meet you 8)

Got into cycling this year, started commuting 6.5 miles each way since September.
Hoping to commute over winter all well. Sweaty ride both ways.

Use to motorbike, got loads of motorbike clothing, including one or 2 fabric summer gloves, as well as winter leather ones.

used on bicycles - Would Motorbike Gloves work or would they get too sweaty quickly on a bicycle etc?
(Motobike gloves - built for 70mph runs on motorways, so uber wind resistant, long cuffs etc.)
Be good to heat if anyone has tried it.

Regards Martin
Last edited by Graham on 23 Oct 2015, 3:03pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited wasted space
IanH

Re: Commuting in Winter - Would Motorbike Gloves work?

Post by IanH »

Hi Martin,
I've used motorcycle gloves in the past. They should do a good job in the worst weather, but you might find them a tad warm when the weather is a little better. I've frequently set off with 2/3 pairs of gloves, ready to adjust as the ride progressed and conditions changed towards the commute home.
The main thing is to get out and give them a try.
Regards, Ian.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I tried skiing gloves on my bike (before getting cycling gloves). I don't know how suitable warmth wise they would have been but I found I could not operate the STI changers properly with them (too bulky). Might be that barend or other types of gear change would have been ok but certainly not STIs with skiing gloves.

Ian
RideToWorky

Post by RideToWorky »

Psamathe wrote:I tried skiing gloves on my bike (before getting cycling gloves). I don't know how suitable warmth wise they would have been but I found I could not operate the STI changers properly with them (too bulky). Might be that barend or other types of gear change would have been ok but certainly not STIs with skiing gloves.

Ian

Hiya Ian,

um sorry... newbie... what are STI changers?

Good point about the bulk of the glovesa as well though.

I'll try a few gloves out this weekend I think, before I even ride off away from the house!

Regards
Martin
gaz

Post by gaz »

STI - Shimano Total Integration, brake levers and gear levers combined into a single unit. Other brands are available.

What it boils down to is that you loose a bit of dexterity in any glove, the thicker and more padded it is the more you lose. Make sure that you can you still brake, change gear, change settings on your lights, etc with the motorcycle gloves on.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
RideToWorky

Post by RideToWorky »

gaz wrote:STI - Shimano Total Integration, brake levers and gear levers combined into a single unit. Other brands are available.

What it boils down to is that you loose a bit of dexterity in any glove, the thicker and more padded it is the more you lose. Make sure that you can you still brake, change gear, change settings on your lights, etc with the motorcycle gloves on.

Ah... thanks Gaz!

Does that cover Road bikes with drop handle bars, as well as Hybrid "Straight" bars?

will try all those functions before riding off! 8)
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Your summer Gloves would be the first to try, And as its gets colder progress to the winter ones. A lot depends on hand size. as to what you can cope with
NUKe

Post by Rich_Clements »

They will be fine on the very cold morning 8)
Rich
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

If you ride motorbikes you'll know about bar muffs. Motorbike ones should fit straight onto flat bars, but I think there is something similar available for drops too.
craggie

Post by craggie »

Until it gets really cold, I wear these:

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/outdoor- ... colour=124

Good for all outdoor use in fact.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Bmblbzzz wrote:If you ride motorbikes you'll know about bar muffs. Motorbike ones should fit straight onto flat bars, but I think there is something similar available for drops too.

http://www.ajbikeequipment.com/page2.htm I've just bought some to try out if we get the threatened cold winter.

Motorcycle gloves - no thanks. Light summer gloves are just fairly thin leather which will do little or nothing to keep you warm. Lined gloves are simply too bulky for many things such as changing gear with Ergo/STI and lack of finesse with friction changers. I suppose they might be ok with flat bars and MTB trigger type changers. I prefer thin windproof gloves which will see me down to freezing when I add a liner. I've used that set up in freezing fog at -5 for a couple of hours without discomfort.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

I have used Ski gloves that my sister bought for me. Yes they kept my hands warm but they did get sweaty after a bit.
Some of the best cold weather gloves I have found where £3.00 "Thinsulate" from the cheap shop.
The fleece back kept the wind off and there is a thin internal liner. The only drawback, the liner would turn inside out and was a so & so to get back in after washing. I would expect motorbike gloves to be to stiff for braking and gear changing dexterity. :roll:
I nowadays wear Aldi/Lidl winter gloves with a thin liner, if needed, for cold weather. For spring days. I use mitts with the thin liner so I can just use the mitts when it's warmed up.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Fogey

Post by Fogey »

I wear waterproof Gore-tex mountaineering gloves from Go Outdoors, and add a thin pair of 'undergloves' when it's really cold.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Winter gloves this morning. :(
But I do get cold hands (& feet). :roll:
You'll never know if you don't try it.
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

For cold and wet I use sealskinz and have done many cold commutes with them but they can be too warm so a pair of lighter wind proofs are worth carrying, for this I have Specialize and obviously mitts for mild weather.
The seals are expensive but amazing and have lasted years.
Do not forget overshoes as feet also freeze on the early commute.
Since retiring I can pick my rides but still use the same kit.