The Global Cycling Network website

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
jezer

The Global Cycling Network website

Post by jezer »

Who views this?
http://www.globalcyclingnetwork.com/

It's a very useful free site for technical topics and some funny ones too.
Last edited by Graham on 22 Oct 2015, 7:48pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: mystery solved
Power to the pedals
hondated

Re: The CGN website

Post by hondated »

Great fan of this site and I have also just found the mountain bike version GMBN which features brilliant Rob Warner and an unbelievable guy called Martyn Ashton who after a bike accident is paralysed from his chest down but still with his mates help does down hill riding. The man is a great example of not letting life get him down. Give a try jezer I am sure you will enjoy it.
AndyBSG

Post by AndyBSG »

Googled CGN and all I could find was 'Canadian Gun Nut' web site which i'm assuming isn't the one you're talking about!
gaz

Post by gaz »

My first hit is Compagnie Générale de Navigation sur le lac Léman, which also seems unlikely :wink: .

China Guangdong Nuclear Power Holding Co.,Ltd ? Has some technical topics.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

I think it's probably GCN instead: http://www.globalcyclingnetwork.com/
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
jezer

Post by jezer »

Oops yes, that's the one.
Power to the pedals
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
CGN may refer to:

CGN or Cingulin, a human gene located on Chromosome 1
Compagnie Générale de Navigation sur le lac Léman, a public Swiss company operating boats on Lake Geneva
Childhood gender nonconformity, a childhood behavioural pattern
Cologne Bonn Airport (airport IATA code)
Cogan railway station, Wales (National Rail station code CGN)
Nuclear-powered guided missile cruiser (U.S. Navy designation CGN)
Carrier-grade NAT, an approach to IPv4 network design where end sites are configured with private network addresses
Mick F. Cornwall
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

It's the Global Cycling Network referred to by Richard. It's GCN. It's aimed at MAMILs. I've yet to find anything really useful on it, but then I'm not really the target market (despite being middle aged, male and wearing Lycra!).

It's run by ex-pro riders Dan Lloyd, Simon Richardson and Matt Stephens.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
hondated

Post by hondated »

TrevA wrote:It's the Global Cycling Network referred to by Richard. It's GCN. It's aimed at MAMILs. I've yet to find anything really useful on it, but then I'm not really the target market (despite being middle aged, male and wearing Lycra!).

It's run by ex-pro riders Dan Lloyd, Simon Richardson and Matt Stephens.

TrevA ok I take your point about not finding anything useful on it but its certainly entertaining. Be careful your not turning into an old person.

And if you don't want to really feel that you are then don't take a look at GMBN because you will see bikes ridden in a way that you have no chance of ever doing.

Each to the own but its got me wondering whether I could actually do a bunny hop and I am in my 60s.
TrevA

Re: The Global Cycling Network website

Post by TrevA »

I've been watching few videos and you are right. I've always dismissed it as a bit of a joke, but it gets the message across in an entertaining way.

I've met Matt Stephens and Simon Richardson a few times, as my son used to ride on the same UK Pro team as them (Sigmasport-Specialized).
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
GrumpyCyclist

Post by GrumpyCyclist »

I've been watching their videos for a few months. Some of it is entertaining, some is informative, some is both. I'm not a die hard road cyclist by any means - I get as much enjoyment being on cycle paths, tracks or the roads - and there is no way on this earth I'd subject the general public to me in lycra. The whole town would lose its appetite. However, for little short videos that can raise a smile sometimes I like the stuff.

If you can hunt out the videos where they try to teach Matt how to ride cyclocross, they're quite funny.
Weight 8th July 2015 111.9Kg : Weight now 93.8Kg. Mostly due to cycling. Wish I'd started much sooner :( #LoveTheBike
hondated

Post by hondated »

GrumpyCyclist wrote:I've been watching their videos for a few months. Some of it is entertaining, some is informative, some is both. I'm not a die hard road cyclist by any means - I get as much enjoyment being on cycle paths, tracks or the roads - and there is no way on this earth I'd subject the general public to me in lycra. The whole town would lose its appetite. However, for little short videos that can raise a smile sometimes I like the stuff.

If you can hunt out the videos where they try to teach Matt how to ride cyclocross, they're quite funny.

GC Thanks I will definitely do that and I have to say all the presenters come across as nice lads.
GrumpyCyclist

Post by GrumpyCyclist »

hondated wrote:GC Thanks I will definitely do that and I have to say all the presenters come across as nice lads.

This should link to their cyclocross videos. Matt Does Cyclocross are the episodes I was on about. Sometimes if I've got 10-15mins to kill I'll call up one of their videos. Definitely worth dipping into. Some stuff is admittedly plain silly, but doesn't mean that's a bad thing
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLcp8c4S74ciHSd9lQHiNHvuTOPMp-z3F6
Weight 8th July 2015 111.9Kg : Weight now 93.8Kg. Mostly due to cycling. Wish I'd started much sooner :( #LoveTheBike
hondated

Post by hondated »

Thanks GC