Zebra Crossings

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Ben@Forest

Re: Zebra Crossings

Post by Ben@Forest »

MikeF wrote:
Mick F wrote:Thanks! :D
Usual suspects for me:

Quickthorn (old name for blackthorn)
:D

Quickthorn is "old" name for Hawthorn not Blackthorn. Quickthorn because it easily grows and can be planted easily for a hedge. I wouldn't want to plant Blackthorn - the thorns on that can often cause infectious wounds - maybe why it's known as "black". Blackthorn flowers before leaves bud out, Hawthorn flowers after leaves bud out eg May (ne'er cast a clout before May is out)!
M for May as well.
Can't think of anything for Z

'Z' is easy. Once you've got to 'Y' look out for a greengrocer, grocer or supermarket. Go in to buy a banana and clock a courgette (or zucchini). Or plant some zinnias in your garden.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Zebra finch. Might have to go into a pet shop for that though.
nez

Post by nez »

Zulus, in the spirit of multiculturalism
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Not many Zulus round here.
Mick F. Cornwall
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Zostera …..... Eelgrass or Seagrass.

A widespread but declining flowering marine plant and an important habitat for a number of species including the delightful Seahorse. There's should be some in the Tamar estuary or Plymouth Sound.
jochta

Post by jochta »

I've seen new zebra crossings installed in Oxfordshire. At least one in Didcot in the last year or so and one was converted to a raised zebra crossing in Wallingford recently.
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

Tangled Metal wrote:Amen on that! Lancaster needs sorting out for motor vehicles. Great for cyclists I think. Especially since I completely miss the actual centre completely on my bike.

My son is at Lancaster Uni and after I drove him to the campus to move into his room, he asked me to take him to Sainsbury's to do his shopping, it took 30 minutes from the start of the one-way system to get to the supermarket. Could have walked it in 5.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

HaHa you'll never leave.....my son went to Lacaster Uni 15 yrs ago and still lives there.
Just as well you didn't take him to ASDA there are some times you think you might never get back. When I do DIY down there B&Q gets my trade otherwise you loose a day getting to Wickes.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

What about a zebra flag?

Pedestrian wants to cross road, so stops and stands perpendicular to road, unfolds/ untelescopes and unfurls a zebra flag (vertical black and white* stripes of course) and waits for traffic to stop (just like a zebra), once they have stepped onto the road parading the flag, the law would view it the same as stepping onto a zebra crossing... :)

*could be reflective, flag pole could also be striped reflectively.

I wonder it could be made illegal for the nth+ vehicles (since pedestrian started waiting at zebra) to fail to stop for a waiting zebra user....but that would require some enforcement I suppose.
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

No need for anything so elaborate! A simple red flag should see you across safely, 'cos it cancels out your invisibility cloak: http://www.nbcchicago.com/traffic/transit/chicago-flag-pedestrian-safety-35344543.html
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

Zenith.

Always there vertically above... Not easy to look at while riding your bike though.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Playing the game again yesterday whilst riding, but I didn't even find an X. :oops:
Mick F. Cornwall
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Yet abroad you see Zebra crossings all over the place, although foreign zebra crossings are usually just the lines in the road, no parking restrictions either side, no beacons to mark them out. They are usually everywhere you might wish to cross the road. But then again perhaps the reason that the UK doesn't have so many is that crossing the road anywhere you like is legal, whereas it isn't always in other countries.
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

Playing the game again yesterday whilst riding, but I didn't even find an X.

Xenon - you can't see it but there is a very small percentage in air (1 part per 20 million).
Xylophone - look out for musical instrument shops.
Xeranthemum - Mediterranean plants so unlikely in the UK
Xanthopterin - stop and have a wee, it's the yellow pigment in urine.
X-ray machine - useful if you fall off your bike looking for something beginning with X.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Bicycler wrote:Anybody else seen the ones which use a loop of LEDs rather than the traditional lamp on top of the pole? http://citytransport.info/Digi/P1050870-74a.gif
Not seen any, but they do look like the light could be directed where it's needed, rather than the traditional spherical illumination :D
"42"