Lorries parking in laybys and blocking the path

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
TrevA

Lorries parking in laybys and blocking the path

Post by TrevA »

On my commute I use a cycle path alongside a busy main road for a couple of miles and on at least 3 occassions recently, I've encountered a lorry, parked in the layby, but with it's nearside wheels on the path, completely blocking the cycle path. Does anyone else see this?

It really winds me up. I have to stop and either walk through the undergrowth next to the path, or walk past on the road side of the lorry, with fast moving traffic 6 inches from my elbow.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
beardy

Re: Lorries parking in laybys and blocking the path

Post by beardy »

I have had a "discussion" with Lorry drivers on this issue. Tempers may have been a bit frayed, who likes getting knocked out of their bed to move their lorry parked on the path?

The HGV has to be parked there because otherwise their wing mirrors are in danger of being hit by the passing traffic. So why not park on the path and make the cyclists, pedestrians and push chairs use that bit of dangerous road instead, wing mirrors are valuable things.
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

beardy wrote:I have had a "discussion" with Lorry drivers on this issue. Tempers may have been a bit frayed, who likes getting knocked out of their bed to move their lorry parked on the path?

The HGV has to be parked there because otherwise their wing mirrors are in danger of being hit by the passing traffic. So why not park on the path and make the cyclists, pedestrians and push chairs use that bit of dangerous road instead, wing mirrors are valuable things.

If they do move their lorry during their mandatory break, it will be recorded and they have to start the break again (AIUI). This naturally results in extremely strong resistance to admitting they are wrong because the resulting disciplinary action could cost them their job.
mjr

Post by mjr »

TrevA wrote:On my commute I use a cycle path alongside a busy main road for a couple of miles and on at least 3 occassions recently, I've encountered a lorry, parked in the layby, but with it's nearside wheels on the path, completely blocking the cycle path. Does anyone else see this?

Yes. We can't see into one layby well ahead because of trees and if the cycle track is blocked, the alternative is for people to cross the main road at a point where it's a bit risky to do so, so I've asked a few drivers and I've also raised it with the businesses serving the drivers who rest there.

Most drivers are fine about not doing it again, as they claim they prefer us to cycle on the cycle path, instead of ride on the carriageway because the cycle track can't be trusted. I do keep note of the firm names, I've never caught any doing it twice, and we have a lot of frequent travellers along this section. If they've stopped and are on a break, they are not keen to move and I let it pass unless they are narrowing the track to less than a metre. If it's under a metre and they won't move or if the vehicle is unattended, I send the picture to the police (as it's an obstruction that they're still responsible for), council and maybe Twitter if it's really taking the mickey (I think a Morrisons advertising van was the last one).

The nearby truck-serving businesses are really keen for the drivers not to block the cycle track because then drivers of vehicles parked further down can't get to them safely and they lose out heavily if there's any sort of incident and the road is blocked!

So, it's not as good as if it didn't happen, but this seems like a fairly easy win. The difficult part is getting the police or council to help. It should be a slam-dunk for council parking enforcement officers because it's unambiguous under the Road Traffic Act 1988 s21, (unlike ordinary pavement parking where the offence is driving on a footway, so you're meant to see them drive there).
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
gaz

Post by gaz »

There's a lorry parking type lay-by not too far from here that sees high volumes, possibly increased since its counterpart on the opposite carriageway was closed off: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.31552 ... 56!6m1!1e1 The adjacent cycletrack is inadequate in any case but sees the occasional wheel on the pavement type of parking or door left open across it.

I spend a fair amount of time trying to persuade the council to mow the verge so there's at least some hope of passing when the HGVs are parked correctly in the lay-by.

There's another stretch where the extended hard shoulder near a closed off/on slip of a dual carriageway is used as an overnight stop. There's no obstruction issues but there is human waste in the hedgerows.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

Near where I live there's a pinch point where vehicles have to stop and give way to oncoming traffic. There's a narrow cycle lane on the inside so that cycles can go straight through, or could if some selfish person didn't park his old Land Rover there every day, blocking the exit
'Kernow bys Vyken'
mjr

Post by mjr »

Swallow wrote:Near where I live there's a pinch point where vehicles have to stop and give way to oncoming traffic. There's a narrow cycle lane on the inside so that cycles can go straight through, or could if some selfish person didn't park his old Land Rover there every day, blocking the exit

Highway obstruction. Report it to the police.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
jezer

Post by jezer »

How about those school run mums? It's so handy to have a bus bay or zig zag lines outside the gate. They can park there without hindrance, as long as they have their 'park where you like' indicators on.
Power to the pedals
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

jezer wrote:They can park there without hindrance, as long as they have their 'park where you like' indicators on.

I once had my car impounded for parking where I liked,* and when I went to collect it, I had to pluck it from a sea of impounded vehicles flashing merrily for hundreds of metres in every direction. So these lights do not serve their purpose – at least if you get out of your improperly parked vehicle.

* Parking in residential areas of Paris has to be seen to be believed. I use my car about once a fortnight and I am still shocked how long it takes to find a parking space. On balance, this parking problem is a good thing.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Samuel D wrote:* Parking in residential areas of Paris has to be seen to be believed.

Really? I've seen it and I'm still not quite sure I believe it! :lol:
deckertim

Post by deckertim »

TrevA wrote:On my commute I use a cycle path alongside a busy main road for a couple of miles and on at least 3 occassions recently, I've encountered a lorry, parked in the layby, but with it's nearside wheels on the path, completely blocking the cycle path. Does anyone else see this?

It really winds me up. I have to stop and either walk through the undergrowth next to the path, or walk past on the road side of the lorry, with fast moving traffic 6 inches from my elbow.

I have a similar issue although not as dangerous on the A2, where lorries park on the dropped kerb where the cycle lane crosses an access road to an old service station. At 6am in the morning at very loud knock on their cab, probably annoys them as much as their thoughtlessness annoys me.
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

mjr wrote:
Swallow wrote:Near where I live there's a pinch point where vehicles have to stop and give way to oncoming traffic. There's a narrow cycle lane on the inside so that cycles can go straight through, or could if some selfish person didn't park his old Land Rover there every day, blocking the exit

Highway obstruction. Report it to the police.

Last time I phoned the police on the non emergency number, I was on hold for thirty five minutes. No wonder reported crime is going down
'Kernow bys Vyken'
ArMoRothair

Post by ArMoRothair »

jezer wrote:How about those school run mums? It's so handy to have a bus bay or zig zag lines outside the gate. They can park there without hindrance, as long as they have their 'park where you like' indicators on.

Or how about our local private school's contractor, who blocks our cycle home from our school every day? They use this contractor to ferry their precious darlings 500 metres from the school to the local park.

They too, are using their magic park-anywhere-you-like lights.

IMG_3007.jpg
irc

Post by irc »

TrevA wrote:On my commute I use a cycle path alongside a busy main road for a couple of miles and on at least 3 occassions recently, I've encountered a lorry, parked in the layby, but with it's nearside wheels on the path, completely blocking the cycle path. Does anyone else see this?.

If an HGV it's an offence. No grey areas like obstruction can be. RTA 1988 S19. But getting the police to do anything about it would be the issue. Pics and e-mail to company?

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/19