Safety design research - any help greatly appreciated!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mattcycling

Safety design research - any help greatly appreciated!

Post by mattcycling »

Hey! my name is Matt Berry. I am a third year product design student at the University of the West of England about to undertake my final year project.

The project is about cycling safety as I still feel that there is still a lot to be done when it comes to protecting cyclists on the roads. Ive seen a few posts like this but I would be extremely grateful if you could take five minuets to help me in my project and research that will be invaluable when it comes to developing ideas for improving cycle safety.

Im not necessarily going to make a product, one thought was that a possible solution needs to be focused around a service and product that creates better respect between all road users, one possible way to do this would be incentives such as insurance discounts.

Link: http://goo.gl/forms/I3t2O34LcL

Thanks for any help you can give me

Matt
gaz

Re: Safety design research - any help greatly appreciated!

Post by gaz »

There are a number of initiatives that would improve cyclists' safety.

Improved education of all road users. Increased enforcement of current traffic laws. New "Presumed Liability" legislation.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
drossall

Post by drossall »

Depends what you mean by insurance. Insurance of the bike against theft can be expensive, and is often best done as a general valuable on household policies that allow that.

Insurance to cover liability in accidents is so cheap that cycling organisations tend to give it away with membership - which is one of the reasons to think that cyclists aren't causing that many accidents and injuries. Hard to see how you could discount that. Like to see the AA and RAC trying free insurance for when we're driving :lol:
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

That survey doesn't allow for more than one bike :shock:

I used the value of my most recetly purchased bicycle.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Nor more than 7 trips - given that a commuter makes 10, before they do anything else..
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
pwa

Post by pwa »

You will find that cyclists can be categorised into groups that vary greatly in their cycling style and risk level. I cycle mainly in rural areas and small towns, I obey the rules and I do not feel I am at much risk. At the opposite end of the spectrum are urban cyclists on busy roads and not doing what they can to stay safe. These are extreme examples and most will be somewhere between. I see little point in talking about "the average cyclist".
mjr

Post by mjr »

There are loads of ways to improve safety, from better highway design to law changes and enforcement, but I don't think much more can be done with product design.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Survey doesn't work on android mbrowser.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

mjr wrote:Survey doesn't work on android mbrowser.

or my old ie browser!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
mjr

Post by mjr »

foxyrider wrote:
mjr wrote:Survey doesn't work on android mbrowser.

or my old ie browser!

or the latest firefox at work. I suspect the survey results are going to be biased towards people using a handful of browsers with weak security settings... :roll:
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

It works on my (recently updated) Firefox.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom