Returning to the Saddle after 16 Years

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
longhotsummer

Returning to the Saddle after 16 Years

Post by longhotsummer »

I will shortly be taking one of my cycles out for what will be my first ride for 16 years. Back in 1999, I had a horrible accident in Spain and broke 3 front teeth and a finger. Six months later, I moved from the Cotswolds to Cornwall and placed both my cycles (road and tourer) in store. The tourer is now having its first service since 1999 and in a few weeks, I expect to take my first trip out on it since then.

What I'd like to ask is; how far should I aim for and what sort of terrain? I am in rural Cornwall and have a choice of country lanes that are flat or very hilly. How often should I go out each week and what should I be expecting to achieve? I am a reasonably fit 50 yo.

I realise that any replies will be subjective. I will be interested in what people have to state. Thanks.
pwa

Re: Returning to the Saddle after 16 Years

Post by pwa »

Take it very easy at first and build up slowly. Winter is coming so don't aim to do anything big until the Spring. Keep it pleasurable and when you feel like doing something else, like walking, do. And listen to what your body is telling you. Some days you will feel strong and others you will feel weak.

Welcome back!
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

I would try round the block first time, then no more than a few miles the next. then look at 5 mile rides once you are comfortable with that move up to to 10 miles from there on you should be able to gauge what you are comfortable with, then just steadily build your mileage.

If you push too far at first you will convince yourself cycling is hard and give up. Build up only do what you enjoy, and don't turn it into a war of attrition.
NUKe

Post by Vorpal »

Do what you feel up to. Listen to your body. If you aren't having fun, go home, but make sure the you go out again in a day or two. The best hing is short, but frequent trips to start. Just get out on your bike as often as you can, and don't worry about how far until you have an idea of your capabilities.

You and your saddle have to get used to each other again. Do you have short trips that you take by car? When you feel up to it, replace them with bike trips. Or set yourself a goal of a favourite cafe & reward yourself with lunch or afternoon tea.

Be careful out there when it starts to get frosty. Either stay off the roads until you are sure the frost / ice is gone, or get yourself some winter tyres, if your bike can accomodate them.

The most important part is to enjoy yourself.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

longhotsummer wrote:I will shortly be taking one of my cycles out for what will be my first ride for 16 years.......

What I'd like to ask is; how far should I aim for and what sort of terrain? I am in rural Cornwall and have a choice of country lanes that are flat or very hilly. How often should I go out each week and what should I be expecting to achieve? I am a reasonably fit 50 yo.

I realise that any replies will be subjective. I will be interested in what people have to state. Thanks.

hmm I bet in your heart of hearts you still think you are 34 and able to ride like a 34 ? I did after just a short break of just 5-6 years. SO dont be surprised if your expections dont meet the reality. take it easy that you can now go further than mere walking :D
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

16 years? i'd be a dribbling wreck after 16 days :lol:

start slow and instead of aiming too high just ride to your discomfort point - you'll soon easily manage 20-30 miles and can look forward to going further in the spring.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Welcome back to life on Earth. Mick F who is Cycling King Extraordinaire of Cornwall will be along shortly to advise on routes and delight you with his humour and straight talk...b
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

You have chosen to relocate in one of the most challenging cycling areas in the UK. Take it steady and good luck..

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

For me, after finishing in the RN and moving to a bungalow needing renovation, it was (only) eight years for me without riding. :oops:
Ok, it's half our OP longhotsummer, but the similarity of the problem is there. I was unfit, over a stone heavier than I am now, and no leg-muscle tone at all.

What I did, was to go for a ride and see how I felt. I managed less than two miles before I had to stop and "admire the view". I went on a little further, and turned round and came home.

Bearing in mind we live in a steep-sided valley, two miles before stopping for a rest is no mean feat.

I kept at it. Maybe riding once or twice a week, and slowly but surely I got further and further. It took me a year before I could do 25miles non-stop ............ and that's round here! Within two years, I was planning a LEJOG and Back.

My advice is to do what I did. Just go for a ride and see how you get on. Also, as you're older, you may need a wider (and lower) set of gear ratios.

longhotsummer.
Where are you?
Maybe we could meet up and have a pedal together.
I'm in Gunnislake, guarding the border and holding back the marauding English hoards. :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

When I was younger I had a short break of 18 years. Once I restarted I stuck pretty well to the flat - converted tow-paths etc - then gradually began folding in the odd short hill. Then got so happy about it that I tackled a real hill, damaged an ACL and was off for another 4 years. So softly softly, and good luck.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

I have a close friend, aged 49, who took up cycling again last year after a very long break. He had grown a large belly and was thoroughly unfit – I used to push the pace on stairways just to see him pant. Thought it would do him good!

On his maiden voyage he attempted a 10 km ride, felt faint near the end, and had to sit down on a bridge near home to recover.

Today, a few thousand kilometres later, he did 48 km at an average speed of 32.7 km/h (which he puts down to aerodynamic leg-warmers, the goat! I hope he reads this).

Along the way he seemed to have hardly any real problems at all. He hasn’t complained about serious or long-lasting pains and he hasn’t fallen off. He’s lost his belly.

Not everyone has the genetics to improve that quickly – I am far younger than him but slower – but it just goes to show that great progress may be possible in a short time.

The first ride will be depressing though.