puncture yesterday

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
blinkered

puncture yesterday

Post by blinkered »

I had a puncture yesterday nothing too out of the ordinary just a rough bit of path. as I was changing the inner tube I found this :shock:

20151012_210340.jpg

I guess the moral of the story is to check my tyres more often!

(I made the 14 mile trip home without further incident)
bigjim

Re: puncture yesterday

Post by bigjim »

I'm just about to throw a tyre as I'm sick of having punctures with it. It's been on different bikes, in different areas and it still punctures. It looks fine and I'm sure it has not done that many miles. It punctured again today. I repaired the tube, pumped it up and it went again so I stuck a new tube in. Got home and found anothr hole I had missed. That's four on that tyre this year! So in the bin it goes. Nice riding tyre too. When I get to ride it. :evil:
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

You got your money’s worth out of that one, blinkered. What tyre is it, by the way?
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

blinkered wrote:I had a puncture yesterday nothing too out of the ordinary just a rough bit of path. as I was changing the inner tube I found this :shock:

20151012_210340.jpg

Full mudguards somewhat restrict the amount of tyre visible, only noticed a bald spot on a rear tyre when I inverted the bike at home to deal with the effects of a PF visit.
blinkered

Post by blinkered »

Samuel D wrote:You got your money’s worth out of that one, blinkered. What tyre is it, by the way?

It's a Conti Gatorskin 23mm. I don't keep detailed records but it must have done 3k+ miles on the rear wheel. I had left it on too long (obviously) and wouldn't have gone that far intentionally.

I don't recall any punctures on that tyre other than the one this week.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

I was on tour in south Wales a few years ago when I felt a bump bump under back wheel. When I investigated I found a patch like the one above which had split wide open, and was only held together by a few strands of bracing stretched across the tube like a combover on a bald head! I'd checked it before I left home, but I overestimated the amount of life left in it.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

blinkered wrote:I had a puncture yesterday nothing too out of the ordinary just a rough bit of path. as I was changing the inner tube I found this :shock:

20151012_210340.jpg

At least you know you've got your money's worth out of the tyre.

It is annoying when a tyre with plenty of tread has to be thrown away because of a sidewall failure or a particularly nasty cut.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Well I'm removing a hardly worn one because it is so susceptible to punctures. Reading reviews about this tyre I find the manufacturers had removed the puncture protection in order to lighten the tyre!