London cyclists 'the most active in the world'

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Saw this in CycleClips
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/active/r ... world.html
So, yeah, London has more cycle journeys than Amsterdam or Copenhagen and the average journey taken by cyclists from Milan is 34 miles long :roll:
TonyR

Re: London cyclists 'the most active in the world'

Post by TonyR »

I can see a lot of London's commuting road warriors using Strava but I can't really imagine most Dutch commuting cyclists using it. Which would skew the figures quite a bit in London's favour but not reflect reality.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

TonyR wrote:I can see a lot of London's commuting road warriors using Strava but I can't really imagine most Dutch commuting cyclists using it. Which would skew the figures quite a bit in London's favour but not reflect reality.

The article reads like an advert for Strava (so now I know what it is).

Anyway I enjoyed the first comment:
They are a total menace, no wonder there are so many accidents. Cretins.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

TonyR wrote:I can see a lot of London's commuting road warriors using Strava but I can't really imagine most Dutch commuting cyclists using it. Which would skew the figures quite a bit in London's favour but not reflect reality.

Yep, that was the point. I cannot understand how a newspaper can quote preposterous figures that suggest London cycles more than Amsterdam or that Italian cyclists average over 50Km per journey without drawing attention to the blatant self-selection bias in the dataset.

They might as well have taken a survey at a sportive or audax.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Yep, this is just saying Strava use is most popular in London. Not cycling.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

A comment on the newspaper website is most apposite
'40.000 bicyclists use just one bike lane in Copenhagen daily. If you ignore weekends that is over 10.000.000 journeys a year on that one lane alone. Perhaps they do not count if they do not use Strava'.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Everyone knows if it's not on Strava it didn't happen :D
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

We are often told there are no cyclists in Copenhagen, only bike users. :)
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Bmblbzzz wrote:We are often told there are no cyclists in Copenhagen, only bike users. :)

[emoji23] Very good. I heard my Dutch friend's reply to: 'Dutch huh? Are you a cyclist?'

She replied, 'No! I've just told you. I'm Dutch!'
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Isn't Copenhagen where the 'green waves' are, so there would be no point using strava, everyone is doing the same speed to hit green lights.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

Bicycler wrote:Saw this in CycleClips
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/active/r ... world.html
So, yeah, London has more cycle journeys than Amsterdam or Copenhagen and the average journey taken by cyclists from Milan is 34 miles long :roll:

Depending quite how you define each of them, the population of London is about 6 times that of Amsterdam, so the propensity to cycle in Amsterdam remains about 2 or 3 times that of London. And I made over 500 of those cycle journeys in London, in the last year, and I don't even live in London, as in fact is true of most of the other bicycle travellers who keep their bikes in the approx. 400 bike spaces at Marylebone Station. And Amsterdam maybe isn't the best comparison because it is unusually bicycle unfriendly by Dutch standards. Iirc overall the Dutch use bikes for journeys at a rate somewhere between 5 and 10 times the British.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

iviehoff wrote:Depending quite how you define each of them, the population of London is about 6 times that of Amsterdam, so the propensity to cycle in Amsterdam remains about 2 or 3 times that of London. And I made over 500 of those cycle journeys in London, in the last year, and I don't even live in London, as in fact is true of most of the other bicycle travellers who keep their bikes in the approx. 400 bike spaces at Marylebone Station. And Amsterdam maybe isn't the best comparison because it is unusually bicycle unfriendly by Dutch standards. Iirc overall the Dutch use bikes for journeys at a rate somewhere between 5 and 10 times the British.

You forgot to mention Strava. They spend a lot of time and money to place press-releases-masquerading-as-news in the national papers. The least we can do is to mention the name a few times.

It's Strava: the name you can trust!

Good points, by the way.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

bovlomov wrote:You forgot to mention Strava. They spend a lot of time and money to place press-releases-masquerading-as-news in the national papers. The least we can do is to mention the name a few times.

My apologies. By way of amends, I'll mention that I don't know what Strava is. I can guess enough to know that I don't need or want Strava. Happy now?
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

iviehoff wrote:My apologies. By way of amends, I'll mention that I don't know what Strava is. I can guess enough to know that I don't need or want Strava. Happy now?

I didn't know what Strava was either, until this thread prompted me to find out. Now I'm still not quite sure, but it seems very good. Has it never occurred to you that you might want to 'unlock your potential, connect with a global community of athletes and train like never before'? That's the Strava dream!
Guy951

Post by Guy951 »

bovlomov wrote:
iviehoff wrote: Has it never occurred to you that you might want to 'unlock your potential, connect with a global community of athletes and train like never before'?

Nope. You?
What manner of creature's this, being but half a fish and half a monster