Midford to Wellow NCN 24 Shoot Season Closures

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Near the wonderful Two Tunnels south of Bath, a section of the NCN 24 between Wellow and Midford is closed for the local shoot. There is a steep, challenging diversion via the almost traffic free lanes or alternatively another one via Hinton Charterhouse on the road.

http://www.twotunnels.org.uk/midford-we ... sures.html
ChrisF

Re: Midford to Wellow NCN 24 Shoot Season Closures

Post by ChrisF »

Interesting; at least it's publicised but I wonder if there are signs on the road indicating the alternative routes? Several times I've come across road works on Sustrans (NCN) routes which close the road, and there's no help for any cyclists to find an alternative. Whereas when riding in Germany/Austria, if a cycle route is closed for some reason they provide a good set of diversion signs.
Chris F, Cornwall
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

quilkin wrote:Interesting; at least it's publicised but I wonder if there are signs on the road indicating the alternative routes? Several times I've come across road works on Sustrans (NCN) routes which close the road, and there's no help for any cyclists to find an alternative. Whereas when riding in Germany/Austria, if a cycle route is closed for some reason they provide a good set of diversion signs.

Yes the alternative via the lanes is signposted, but it is BEHIND you in true pantomime style, so you have to do a couple of hills, one which is formidable. If you don't know about the closure, you don't find out till it's too late. It would be nice if someone could sort out a system and put up a sign out (maybe in Wellow village) before you cycle off in the wrong direction only to find out (or be disappointed) that you have to turn around and go back on yourself to do the hills again.

The signs are also hidden in the brambles in true Sustrans style. On random posts at different heights, to sheep etc. This is why most people end up on the main road from Hinton Charterhouse to Midford.

Some Dutch guys were horrified by the Sustrans signage in a similar way to an American guy on You Tube who cycles from London to Cardiff was. Maybe in 40 years time we'll have caught up...b
Rob Archer

Re: Midford to Wellow NCN 24 Shoot Season Closures

Post by Rob Archer »

So a NATIONAL cycle route is closed for a LOCAL shoot. What century are we in? How often are main roads, railways and motorways closed for several days at a time to allow the local gentry to indulge in their archaic pastimes?
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Rob Archer wrote:So a NATIONAL cycle route is closed for a LOCAL shoot. What century are we in? How often are main roads, railways and motorways closed for several days at a time to allow the local gentry to indulge in their archaic pastimes?

Yes I get that! Long hair and beard besides, the land it runs through is owned by a private landowner and he has agreed to share it with Sustrans all year except certain Saturday's and Christmas and New Year shoots. It does earn our local community an income. Pubs, beaters, gun shops, pony trekking centre, log seller etc. I've got no problem with that. It forces me to do hills way out of my comfort zone too.

There'll be a few on this forum who will be pleased to know that 365 days a year ALL public person's dogs are banned from this section of the NCN 24, as there's a big game bird breeding programme and lots of vermin control. Dogs are no exception! Trust me I tried it 8 years ago when I ignored the signs and was taken to task by the head game keeper. In diluted, censored language, he said to me, 'If you let your spaniel go another yard more, it'll be in doggy heaven.' I can respect that and I was at fault. I turned around, apologised and went back to the style I should never have crossed. A few years later I was bought a pint by the same fellow when I was doing some owl conservation work. And do you know what? He asked me how my dog was! How he remembered me when he must have to tell people off all the time I'll never know....b