Rider Down Thread

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
TrekMad

Rider Down Thread

Post by TrekMad »

Thought I would start one of these as most forums seem to have similar!

Rider Down: Me, yesterday evening riding at dusk. New Lidl is being built nearby and some fool decided to erect 10" high concrete bollards at the bottom of the hill on (I presume) a no entry/exit road to their as yet unfinished car park.

Hit it quite hard and about 15mph, result: knee bashed, cuts and bruises to arms and painful back injury. Bike scuffed all over and handlebars bent. Going to injury lawyers tomorrow, had lights on but was taken aback to see the bollards at the last minute with no.road markings or any signage whatsoever.
Bonefishblues

Re: Rider Down Thread

Post by Bonefishblues »

What's the case you're seeking to pursue?
TrekMad

Post by TrekMad »

I'm not 100% sure, but probably injury and damage to bike caused by negligence and no signage/lighting on an unfinished section of road. The road is open to (site) traffic, pedestrians and I.presume cycle traffic but the bollards only appeared in the last 24 hrs. Not even any road markings or the kerb stones properly finished.

I feel pretty beat up today, I can tell you.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

If it was an unfinished section of road, perhaps slightly more caution might have been exercised?
TrekMad

Post by TrekMad »

The road has been open to traffic and a through way for nearly two weeks, no one can expect a set of bollards to pop up literally overnight!
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

You're right, nobody could predict that. I was making a different point, I think.
gaz

Post by gaz »

TrekMad wrote:Hit it quite hard and about 15mph, result: knee bashed, cuts and bruises to arms and painful back injury. Bike scuffed all over and handlebars bent. Going to injury lawyers tomorrow, had lights on but was taken aback to see the bollards at the last minute with no.road markings or any signage whatsoever.

I wish you a swift recovery.

Get your injuries properly assessed, photograph them. Photograph the damage to your bike and clothing. Return to the scene and photograph the bollards, approach roads and any relevant signing or the lack thereof.

Get advice from a lawyer: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49627
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade