Blasting cyclists

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
bovlomov

Re: Blasting cyclists

Post by bovlomov »

I live in quite a 'respectable' area, but within a mile of home I've had many things thrown at me: abuse, kicks, bottles, cans, balls, fireworks... Usually it's only meant as a bit of fun!
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Oh what a good idea - I must remember to carry a few bottles stones etc so I can throw them at those vehicles that pass a bit close or hoot. Only in fun of course :lol: :lol:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Oddly enough, this has never happened to me before in over 30 years of cycling, but it did yesterday (Sunday, when I don't normally go out on the bike). Spooky. :shock:
Some complete moron in a red pickup leaned on the horn before passing me. Double track straight road out in the country, no other traffic in sight, me alone, in secondary (primary had a big seam in the road) so no possibility I was 'in their way'.

Given I'm clearly female, but equally clearly neither young nor attractive, it' was plainly just aggressive and stupid behavior.
Roma Nimbus2000

Post by Roma Nimbus2000 »

I get that very often :( I don't know, is it because I'm a woman? And I'm a person who gets scared very easily with sudden noise. I was in many dangerous situations because some moron behind a stirring wheel (and not only vans!) decided to use a horn while passing, sometimes shouting something as well (I never managed to hear the words, just say some stupid grins) and I have never done anything wrong. Riding safely side of the road, hi-vised, lights, helmet on, checking regularly the road behind me etc.
Once I nearly feel in front of a lorry behind one of such morons because I got a shock reaction.
Thanks very much irresponsible drivers.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Has horn-blasting been advocated somewhere recently? Is Jeremy Clarkson broadcasting again?

I had it happen last week - the second time this year and probably the second time ever in this way. I was on a 30mph road heading out of a village. As I passed one driveway, a 4x4 was just emerging. I looked at them - it wasn't anyone I recognised. I'd say an over-60 fairly large gentleman driving. I forget what the passenger looked like. A few hundred metres later, they caught me up and leant on their horn. It's not like I could do anything to let them past sooner, as the next opportunity to do so was the turning on the left just after the bend that I was going to take anyway... and besides, the road's then straight enough that they could probably overtake anyway.

I have no idea what the purpose of the horn blast was. If I had stopped (or fallen), they would simply have to stop behind me.

I get the occasional short honk when riding around town, but most of the roads I use are wide enough that any horn user has usually overtaken almost before I can react (usually to wave in case it's someone I know, as it often is) and those roads are noisy enough that the noise of a car horn isn't enough to make me jump. The long blast on small roads seems like a recent development, though.

Some motorists are very odd, aren't they?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
ossie

Post by ossie »

I had the horn blast last week on my 40 miler

On an approach to a roundabout with me in primary, Mr Mazda 6 did the usual 'there's a bike I must get in front no matter what' routine so roared up overtook and pulled in to prevent me getting up his inside..he was about 5 in the queue...and he almost took me out in the process.

I rarely filter up the inside of traffic but he was an exception, he had his window down and as I wormed my towards his car he let rip with his horn at the mere prospect of me getting ahead of him.

My strongly worded tirade through his open window resulted in him attempting to run me off the road..... he missed by inches.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Roma Nimbus2000 wrote:I get that very often :( I don't know, is it because I'm a woman?
No it happens to men as well. And usually you've heard and know there's a vehicle behind.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
stork

Post by stork »

bikepacker wrote:
Paulatic wrote:
bikepacker wrote:A couple of times a van driver did it to me and I know did it to other cyclists. By chance I found where is van was parked at night so armed with a can of spray paint in big letters I wrote '<i>[inappropriate word removed]</i>' on the side Wrong I know but it gave me a sense of satisfaction.

Got ya!!
That was my van, I knew from the wording the culprit had to be from this forum. ]

No me my target was a small Citroen.

Ah, yes, I remember now.

van.jpg
stork

Post by stork »

mjr wrote:Has horn-blasting been advocated somewhere recently?

Yes, by Ronnie Pickering.