Blasting cyclists

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
MikeF

Blasting cyclists

Post by MikeF »

I went for a short test ride "round the block" to check the bike after carrying out some adjustments. I was passing a parked car on an uphill part nearly at the end of a quite residential no through road before continuing on the track at the end, when a car approaching from behind gave a long blast on the horn. This did make me swear. :oops: The car passed me slowly and the woman driver said through lowered passenger window "I'm sorry. That was my husband". There sitting in the passenger's seat was a 50yr? old goon grinning like a cheshire cat! :evil: He had obviously leant across and pressed the horn button because he thought it would be "funny" to blast a cyclist. :shock:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
661-Pete

Re: Blasting cyclists

Post by 661-Pete »

The next story in this series will be: "I'm sorry: my dog was sitting on the front seat and it put a paw on the horn button..."
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Isn't it an offence to use the horn for such a purpose?
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Flinders wrote:Isn't it an offence to use the horn for such a purpose?
It may be, but who would be the offender? The driver for not keeping passengers under control or the passenger for interfering with the driver?
I don't peddle bikes.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

It happened to me in Budapest - while I was riding under a bridge, so it was rather loud. The grinning goons were policemen.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Seriously, what does the law have to say about a passenger (aside from driving instructors) who interferes with a vehicle's controls? If there is an accident, who is responsible?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

It’s inconceivable that the woman in this case could be in any way to blame for her husband’s actions. He’s a grown-up (middle-aged, apparently!) and he reached over to blast the horn, the whole point of his action being that it was unexpected; short of somehow grabbing his wrist and proving to be the stronger of the two, what could she have done?

Maybe she could carry him in the boot behind a dog barrier the next time.

Still, I’d rather be blasted in jest by a passenger than in anger by the one controlling the car’s trajectory. And in this case I think the husband was trying to annoy/tease/play with his wife rather than the cyclist. MikeF just happened to be the butt of his joke.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

A guy in a little van did it to me but he was driving, was a young lad and did it angrily. It was a little downhill, not enough for me to pick up speed but enough for his engine to be idling. So I spotted him an way back on the rise but he closed on me quickly and I never heard him. When he honked his horn repeatedly whilst being too close I had the whatsits scared out of me. I nearly lost control and swerved out into the lane. If he'd been passing me I'd have been under his wheel. Thing is he wasn't trying to pass but drove up to as close to my back wheel as he dared then used his horn to scare me.

I'd done nothing wrong, was riding safely in good visibility and was aware of vehicles around me as I was shoulder checking regularly. I.missed his approach because I believe he'd closed the gap quicker than I expected him to and the slope meant his van engine was running quietly. Not freewheeling but not needing much gas.

It left me shaking I tell you and angry. He got stopped at lights a little further on but I was not right to confront him. Another cyclist was.just behind and his comments to me calmed me down. A horn can give cyclists a serious shock if it's not expected and there is no reason for it. Quiet.road, good visibility, I was riding safely and predictably, plenty of road space to overtake. You could get 4 cars and still have safe cycling space on both sides. No reason.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

A couple of times a van driver did it to me and I know did it to other cyclists. By chance I found where is van was parked at night so armed with a can of spray paint in big letters I wrote '[inappropriate word removed]' on the side Wrong I know but it gave me a sense of satisfaction.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

bikepacker wrote:A couple of times a van driver did it to me and I know did it to other cyclists. By chance I found where is van was parked at night so armed with a can of spray paint in big letters I wrote '<i>[inappropriate word removed]</i>' on the side Wrong I know but it gave me a sense of satisfaction.

Got ya!!
That was my van, I knew from the wording the culprit had to be from this forum. Image
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I think I posted before, some time ago, about being unnecessarily hooted at by an overtaking motorist. I followed the culprit, without much hope of catching him, but as luck would have it, about half a mile further he was caught at a level crossing. I drew up alongside, and addressed the driver through his open window: "please don't hoot at cyclists for no reason" or something like that. All civil and polite-like, yeah? What I got in response was anything but, and can't be repeated verbatim on this forum. I backed off hurriedly: road rage isn't my thing and my route wasn't over the L/C anyway.

Maybe there's a class of driver who's as jealous of his hooter as he is of the rest of his wheels. Rememer the 'Maserati Air Horns' that used to be the scourge of quiet residential areas back in the 1970s and 80s? We had one locally that used to play La Cucaracha, at top volume and stridently, over and over again. Once is OK, but every time he drove past....? :evil: I wonder if he knew that cucaracha is Spanish for 'cockroach'?

I hope such things have been consigned to history.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Paulatic wrote:
bikepacker wrote:A couple of times a van driver did it to me and I know did it to other cyclists. By chance I found where is van was parked at night so armed with a can of spray paint in big letters I wrote '<i>[inappropriate word removed]</i>' on the side Wrong I know but it gave me a sense of satisfaction.

Got ya!!
That was my van, I knew from the wording the culprit had to be from this forum. ]

No me my target was a small Citroen.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Hey, I laughed, Paulatic!
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Samuel D wrote:Still, I’d rather be blasted in jest by a passenger than in anger by the one controlling the car’s trajectory. And in this case I think the husband was trying to annoy/tease/play with his wife rather than the cyclist. MikeF just happened to be the butt of his joke.
I don't want to be blasted at all. I've no idea whether it was in jest. All I knew was a car was approaching from behind as I was "overtaking"? a parked vehicle. The car had to slow down as I was in front, but it less than 100yds to their drive.

As Tangled Metal says loud noises can be alarming. I've occasionally had the passenger in a van yell at me for no reason at all as the van has driven by. A few people have warped minds unfortunately. :(
I don't peddle bikes.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I've had yobs hurling abuse at me when walking on the footpath. Once one yob threw something at me but missed by a lot. Got me angry but the car had driven off. Chances are you confront one of them and their mates get involved.