Anyone think this is good way to spend £10k?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
cotswolds

Anyone think this is good way to spend £10k?

Post by cotswolds »

Bristol road rage mediation for bikes and cars

Cyclists and drivers are being asked to find ways to share Bristol's "congested streets" without resorting to road rage.

Charity Bristol Mediation has been given £10,000 of public money to "bring road users together".

But doubts about the plan have united some. Cyclist Hugh Marshall called it a "cosmetic exercise" and the Alliance of British Drivers said "it's a joke".

Full story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-34400851
pwa

Re: Anyone think this is good way to spend £10k?

Post by pwa »

I guess it is to pay someone's wages and expenses while they conduct a study. The value for money depends on the quality of the study.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Bob Bull, from the Alliance of British Drivers, said: "The problem is that cyclists can do what they like, where they like, when they like and there's no repercussions."

Cyclists are subject to the same laws as everyone else on the road, but for each person killed by a cyclist there are hundreds killed by motor vehicles. This probably goes some way to explaining the priorities with which manpower is allocated to the policing and enforcement of road safety.

Nothing much will change until motorists stop drawing an equivalence between being held up for a couple of minutes, and having your kidneys wrapped around a lorry axle.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
PH

Post by PH »

cotswolds wrote:the Alliance of British Drivers said "it's a joke".

Do you know who these people are? They call for the raising of speed limits, getting rid of speed cameras and claim climate change is a scare story. Them thinking this is a joke is something it it's favour.
I don't know if the idea is a good use of £10K, in transport terms it doesn't seem like a lot of money, several people have obviously looked at it in more detail than me, why not give it a try, something might be learned.
pwa

Post by pwa »

"Alliance" is a word used by extremists to give the impression that they represent a wider spectrum of the public than is the case. Think "Countryside Alliance" (pro hunting with dogs, and a few other issues tacked on to make it look like they are not a single issue group). Not to be taken seriously.
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Gimme 10k and I'll tell them what causes road road in one word.

Pratts.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

I rather suspect that if those calling for a bicycle test knew what's on the Bikeability syllabus they would be trying to ensure it doesn't become part of the National Curriculum.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

cotswolds wrote:... and the Alliance of British Drivers said "it's a joke".
I thought the letters stood for Association of Bad Drivers... :lol:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
gaz

Post by gaz »

Promoting "The Niceway Code" cost £425,000. Bristol's getting a bargain :wink: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Si

Post by Si »

gaz wrote:Promoting "The Niceway Code" cost £425,000. Bristol's getting a bargain :wink: .

Blimey - I'd forgotten all about that...whatever happened to it?
gaz

Post by gaz »

Si wrote:Blimey - I'd forgotten all about that...

Which just goes to show how effective a campaign it was and how quickly two years pass.

Si wrote:whatever happened to it?

It wound up two years ago. I believe it's about to reappear in Bristol :wink: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade