Beware the Wally

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Revolution

Beware the Wally

Post by Revolution »

I have just bought a new front light in preparation for the winter commutes. This morning, although clear and sunny, I switched it on to flash mode as I went through a village overtaking a line of stationary cars waiting for traffic lights to change. I left the light on and five miles later, cycling through another village at about 20mph, I was aware of a car pulling up to a T junction onto the road ahead of me. To my surprise as I got closer she started to pull out into my path but then stopped abruptly when about half way onto the road. She then wound down the window which was completely fogged up so she could actually see what was coming! I'm guessing that despite me riding a white bike with a bright orange pannier and wearing a bright red top, it was the flashing light which she noticed through her fogged up window. So a warning to everyone - don't assume that the motorist in front is equipped with common sense :roll:
[XAP]Bob

Re: Beware the Wally

Post by [XAP]Bob »

No motorist has common sense - precious few others do either.

It's no longer common, and should be renamed rare sense.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Oh, that kind of Wally. Thought you meant this one:

https://youtu.be/LLW1ZnFSTKM
Have we got time for another cuppa?
The fat commuter

Post by The fat commuter »

Audax67 wrote:Oh, that kind of Wally. Thought you meant this one:

https://youtu.be/LLW1ZnFSTKM

Very nice. Didn't think that I liked stuff like that but found it very pleasurable.

Feeling all relaxed now. Hopefully not too relaxed for my ride into work otherwise I'll be late.
maxcherry

Post by maxcherry »

I thoght it was mandatory to drive with fogged up windows ! must only be the case for the Birmingham :roll:
Honestly chaps, I'm a female!
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

I never ever assume the motorists around me have any commonsense, if you assume they are all wally's and will not be looking for you, the better equiped you are to deal with the situation when it arises...
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Revolution wrote:........ So a warning to everyone - don't assume that the motorist in front is equipped with common sense :roll:

I've always assumed every motorist is a mad lunatic out to kill me.
IME it's a correct approach when riding on UK roads :? .
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
scragglymonkeyman

Post by scragglymonkeyman »

I agree, in some areas in Bristol its pretty mandatory to adopt the primary position to prevent some idiot trying to flatten you to save seconds before you pass them further up the road.

Now... Breathe...
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

scragglymonkeyman wrote:......Now... Breathe...

...and relax..... :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

It's that time of year (season of mists and mellow fruitfulness etc.) when commuters get up and find their car windows covered with condensation.
They have two choices:
Get a scraper out and wipe them off so that you can see to drive safely, which takes a few seconds, or
Drive off without bothering about it as it will go away in a few miles anyway

Guess which most choose?
pwa

Post by pwa »

Yes, it's something to be aware of at this time of year. The steamed up window. The problem arises because the driver does not allow enough time to be able to wait for the car to warm up after the initial clearance of the windows, so they mist up again. So, don't assume the car approaching the T junction will stop. Have evasive action on your mind. And have your lights on.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

pwa wrote:The steamed up window.
and "damn, I've forgotten my driving glasses..." and S*** - I'm 10 minutes late for work..." and it's 90+ days since the tires were pumped up and now 1's OK, 2 are below 20 psi and the other's under 10... and the kids aren't buckled into their seats properly and are belting each other with the contents of their reading bags... and lastly the bl***y driver's on the phone wrangling with the partner about who should get the sodding pizza tonight... Watch Out Folks - they're not necessarily out to get you but the end results will be the same!!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

The clocks change this month, I always find the Monday and Tuesday evening afterward are a bit of trial as drivers, I think feel it is much latter than it is, and they just want to get home. You get close passes and cars drive close together.

Just a personal observation I add, not based on scientific research.
NUKe

Post by pwa »

NUKe wrote:The clocks change this month, I always find the Monday and Tuesday evening afterward are a bit of trial as drivers, I think feel it is much latter than it is, and they just want to get home. You get close passes and cars drive close together.

Never noticed that. I'll be looking out for it now.
Si

Post by Si »

NUKe wrote:The clocks change this month, I always find the Monday and Tuesday evening afterward are a bit of trial as drivers, I think feel it is much latter than it is, and they just want to get home. You get close passes and cars drive close together.

Yup.

And if it coincides with the return to school after the half term it's even worse.