Suitable commuting light on vented helmet

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Highkicker79

Suitable commuting light on vented helmet

Post by Highkicker79 »

Hi. I'm looking for a really light weight front light that I can attach to my vented helmet.

I'd like it to be:
1. Light and small as possible.
2. Has a low profile mounting option for a vented helmet.
3. Has to be fairly bright with a flashing mode.

I'll be using it for commuting so it doesn't need to light up the road. I already have another front light attached to my cycle so this is purely something directional that I can direct in a specific location to make me more visible.

I've already tried many options but none have been suitable:
Lezyne Super Drive XL (too heavy, big and sits very high so feels much heaving on the head)
Exposure Diablo Mk 6 (better than the Lezyne but still too heavy and big)
Exposure Trace Front Light (the light is perfect but there is no vented helmet mount option)

I've also considered helmets with built in lights like the Torch T2, but the front light on those are not very directional which doesn't help with my primary need for the light on the helmet.

Any ideas or options?
NUKe

Re: Suitable commuting light on vented helmet

Post by NUKe »

What are you trying to achieve with the light being more visible or something to see by. A head torch might be another option assuming it fits the helmet. but the strapps could be thread through the vents in any case. Tesco's for a cheap, I have one fo these for reading my Garmin on night rides ( No helemt though). if you want something a little better then Petz seem to be one of the better ones on the market available through places likes Blacks
NUKe

Post by Highkicker79 »

NUKe wrote:What are you trying to achieve with the light being more visible or something to see by. A head torch might be another option assuming it fits the helmet. but the strapps could be thread through the vents in any case. Tesco's for a cheap, I have one fo these for reading my Garmin on night rides ( No helemt though). if you want something a little better then Petz seem to be one of the better ones on the market available through places likes Blacks

Thanks for the reply. I thought I had covered this in my original post with "I'll be using it for commuting so it doesn't need to light up the road. I already have another front light attached to my cycle so this is purely something directional that I can direct in a specific location to make me more visible."

It's definitely just to be more visible. I have no requirement to use the light to light up the road so I can see where I'm going. A head torch is a pretty good idea that I hadn't considered. I'll need to find something that's very low profile and may need to butcher the straps a little but it could be a viable options.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

more visible rather than lighting up street signs (since you're commuting I assume navigation is OK)

Flashing is generally good, but leaves times of 'no light', pulsing or a pair of lights might be more appropriate?

Beware items which may penetrate a helmet (I know you're looking for low profile)

How visible do you think you are at the moment? Does a cyclist ever have a chance of winning the lighting wars?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Shuggie

Post by Shuggie »

Hi, I use the Exposure Joystick on my helmet, brilliant for what you want IMHO, I have their Strada on my bars. I believe the Trace does have a helmet mount, or probably uses the same mount as the Joystick which fits through the vents in my Giro perfectly.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

I use a small cateye light (now out of production) for exactly the same purpose.

This is the current equivalent I think

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cat ... t-ec012554

Cateye also do a helmet mount, you'd need to buy that separately, it's changed since I bought mine so can't comment on how good it is.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cat ... 2-ec035704

The joystick recommended above is brilliant, but *much* more expensive - I use one on my bars.
Vitara

Post by Vitara »

A light with integral battery will inevitably be heavy. I recently borrowers a cateye velo for a night ride and found the weight high up uncomfortable and unsettling.

Halfords currently have the bike hut L230 and L450 on offer at £24. The light itself is on the big side but very lightweight (unnoticeable when worn) and the heavier battery pack can be popped in your back pocket. I bought the L450 and while I haven't yet used it in anger I've been pleased with it on a short trial ride.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

I can't understand this fashion for wearing a helmet ostensibly for protecting your head and then attaching stuff to it that will likely punch straight through the polystyrene if you were ever in an accident.
Highkicker79

Post by Highkicker79 »

TonyR wrote:I can't understand this fashion for wearing a helmet ostensibly for protecting your head and then attaching stuff to it that will likely punch straight through the polystyrene if you were ever in an accident.

There is very limit protection a cycle helmet will give at speeds greater than 20mph whether things are attached to the helmet or not. The main protection for a helmet is to protect your head at lower impact speeds such as falling off your bike and your head hitting the tarmac. For those kind of impacts, I seriously doubt the objects would punch straight through the helmet.

By I do accept it is increasing the risk. However, not having a light can be the difference between being in an accident and avoiding one so it's the lesser of two evils.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Tony,

I look at it from the opposite point of view. Helmets are next to useless at providing protection in case of a collision, but constitute an excellent high level light mount.

Anecdotal evidence (me in a car) suggests that cyclists with helmet mounted lights significantly enhance their visibility.

Further anecdotal evidence (me being hit by cars, twice) shows that helmet performance is not impaired by light fixtures.

Warming: the value of anecdotal evidence may go down as well as up.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

some thing like this but add a velcro strap?

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/niterider-lightning-bug-10-led-front-safety-light-prod32198/

or this

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/LIPHSOFL/phaart-strap-on-led-light

very small & light I think ( I dont have one just looks very similar to some thing I have ->)

these look similar to this I have had a long time - they were so good that for a time my local 99p store had some copies

mini light with velcro strap
mini light with velcro strap

strapped to the  helmet
strapped to the helmet
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

I've got one of these on my helmet. A cheap light I got as part of a magazine subscription deal, £20 for 6 months and a free light.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-macro-drive-duo/
Highkicker79

Post by Highkicker79 »

Thanks for all the replies. I've got lots of options to go on so I'll need to sit down and look at what's going to fit the bill best. I think the head torch option is probably looking like the best. Especially when they take 3 x AAA batteries. I've got quite a few spare rechargeable AAA so makes for a quick swap when they're running low.
flatout

Post by flatout »

B’twin (via Decathlon) do small lights (both front and rear) that attach and detach to helmets easily. Fit and forget.... until you need them.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/vioo-100-fro ... 22807.html