Have you ever got home and gone back out again?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Manc33

Have you ever got home and gone back out again?

Post by Manc33 »

Ever gone out for a ride, got home and thought "You know what, I am only just warmed up, I am going back out and doing another 20 miles". I am not fit enough to be doing this but I do sometimes think it.

Anyone ever ended up doing this? No lying!

The time I nearly did it the most was going to New Mills and back (about 15 miles). I got home and felt like I was "ready" for a bike ride again, you can catch yourself out doing rides "too short" sometimes lol. Onwards and upwards. :)
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Have you ever got home and gone back out again?

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Normally to the shops when MrsBob has forgotten something...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

No, not specifically, but I have decided mid-ride to go further than planned.

However, as Bob says, I have gone back out later for a particular reason - shops etc.
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
By accident (must sack that mechanic :wink: ) to change the front brake calliper, add 11 miles.

Then its 40 miles to the tip (total so far) and another 7 home, add a roadie came past me :oops: Had given up by then what with a split tube :x
47 miles, nearly six hours on a cereal bar :)
Longest normal training ride in the week would be 44 miles with no food :?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Nope.
I live on the fourth floor. After squeezing the bike down a narrow hallway, through a narrow door, into a very narrow and short communal hallway, then an awkward exit into a communal area, into the stupidly small lift, into another communal area and through a set of double doors which both have be opened because of how narrow they are, then out through a secure door which weighs a ton and finally up the walkway and through a final secure gate, the faff of going back in and out again is too much fuss for me personally.
It's worse when the lift is on the blink and I have to haul the heavy lump up those stairs.
This stupid building was designed and built for smurfs. I can't wait to get away from it for good.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Yes. I wanted to do a long day, but had no plans to go anywhere specifically, so cycled 25 miles circular route back to home. Had lunch. Cycled 20 miles to home. Had coffee and cake. Cycled 20 miles.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

usually when i have cycled home from work then gone back out again to an event / clubroom etc....
I might have also done so when i got home, found the ex was in foul mood and it was better to be out on the bike....
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Yes, went out for a 50 miler with my clubmates in the morning, went home, had some lunch. My wife then comes home, fancies a ride, so I go out and do another 45 miles with her!
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Chicken & Henpecked come to mind :lol:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

Judging from the replies anyone could do this any time because if they "have to", they do go back out.

I tried doing 20 miles a day once and got to about 5 or 6 days and just couldn't do it anymore lol.
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

In sub-zero temperatures, I've been known to do two short rides with a warm-up in between, instead of one long one.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Mick F wrote:No, not specifically, but I have decided mid-ride to go further than planned.

However, as Bob says, I have gone back out later for a particular reason - shops etc.

Me likewise.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Manc33 wrote:Ever gone out for a ride, got home and thought "You know what, I am only just warmed up, I am going back out and doing another 20 miles".

In my fitter youth I can recall riding to the start of a nearby 200K and then realising I'd left my pump at home. So I started the event, peeled off route after about 5 miles, rode 2.5 miles home, collected my pump and retraced my steps to join the route where I'd left it.

Another year after completing the same event I decided to ride back home, freshen up and then ride back to help out at the finish before joining the après-audax celebrations at the local pub.

More recently I've often gone out for a ride, got round the first couple of corners, headed quickly home and thought "You know what, I did lock the front door after all, I am going out to do 20 miles" :wink: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I have been known to do a slightly extreme version on my hols - one day on this years trip I did 60km between campsites then went out, caught a ferry, rode around an island for three hours then back to the tent which added another 70km to the days total!

Used to do the commute then ride to race regularly but not often these days. Going out for a decent ride then tagging another short trip on afterwards isn't that rare for me - I don't drive so its bike, walk or bus anyhow.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

I do a glossy magazine drop for my charity, about 800 in total which I collect in the car as they total 96kg. I pop the bike in the boot and park up after I've collected them and cycle out and back twice to various drops in the town where I collect them from. (8 miles).

I then drop other magazines on the way home (by car) and whence home go straight out with up to 3 boxes at a time, cycling to the nearest big drop (of 150) & then home (5 miles), another drop of a 100 & back (4 miles). Then onto the most Northern point of town (I live on the most Southern point) and other drops in between, another 9 miles, out again to the town that pretty much adjoins ours and the 4 drops there (5 miles), back home and then finally the two drops to the west of the town, that's another 5.

There's 4 drops a year but I usually only do this out & back in one go once a year, I'm restricted by how my health is and/or the weather.
Total miles is 36 and I'm absolutely stuffed by the end of it.

Otherwise no, not on a general ride out 8)