Bloody labrador

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
AMMoffat

Re: Bloody labrador

Post by AMMoffat »

Flinders wrote:Working Labs from working bloodlines are fine, they're properly trained, and bred for intelligence and health.

No dog from a working strain or otherwise becomes properly trained without a great deal of effort from its owner. Have you any idea the number of border collies that end up in rescue because their owners think they arrive able to herd sheep, compete in obedience or do heelwork to music because they've seen them doing all these things on TV and they're clever aren't they :lol: So they don't bother to train it, it makes use of its intelligence to make its own mischief and then the owner gets rid of it because somehow it's not like those collies on the telly :(
Last edited by AMMoffat on 25 Sep 2015, 7:39pm, edited 3 times in total.
robing

Post by robing »

AMMoffat wrote:In both videos, I really don't know why the cyclist did not just continue on his way. Constantly stopping, gesticulating, shouting and unnecessarily swearing was just inflaming the situation and encouraging the dog. The dog, despite barking, was not in any way acting aggressively and would have got bored if the cyclist had just got on with his business. Whilst someone who is clearly fearful of dogs would not necessarily recognise this, I think the reaction of the cyclist was a bit over the top.

Disagree. Every time the cyclist tried to carry on, the dog chased him. This can trigger a predatory response and the dog could have tried to bite at his legs or just got in the way which could have caused the cyclist to come off. The cyclist was just on his way to work minding his own business. Why should he be disrupted by an idiotic owner and their out of control dog. :evil:
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

AMMoffat wrote:In both videos, I really don't know why the cyclist did not just continue on his way. Constantly stopping, gesticulating, shouting and unnecessarily swearing was just inflaming the situation and encouraging the dog. The dog, despite barking, was not in any way acting aggressively and would have got bored if the cyclist had just got on with his business. Whilst someone who is clearly fearful of dogs would not necessarily recognise this, I think the reaction of the cyclist was a bit over the top. That does not in any way excuse the dog owner who failed to put her dog on the lead when it was obviously irritating someone. The dog wanted to play but the cyclist clearly did not.

Absolutely. And had I been the owner dealing with a cyclist like that I would not have restrained my language like the owner in the video did.

Cyclists expect the public (drivers, pedestrians, horse riders, etc.) to cooperate with them ... well it works both ways.

It is very rare for a dog to seriously want to attack somebody. Occasionally when I cycle past a particular farm their massive German Shepherd will charge out after me and chase me down the road barking. 1st time it happened I looked back and immediately saw that despite the barking he was not being aggressive, so I slowed, he slowed, I slowed more, he slowed more and he was always maintaining a safe distance between me and himself. And I stopped and he stopped. If you are going to cycle you have to learn about the hazards and how to read them. People here get very critical of another cyclist who e.g. rides too close to the kerb and has a close pass (etc.). Dogs, like car drivers like blind bends are part of cycling so you have to learn how to read the conditions and behave appropriately.

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

AMMoffat wrote:No dog from a working strain or otherwise becomes properly trained without a great deal of effort from its owner. Have you any idea the number of border collies that end up in rescue because their owners think they arrive able to herd sheep, compete in obedience or do heelwork to music because they've seen them doing all these things on TV and they're clever aren't they :lol: So they don't bother to train it, it makes use of its intelligence to make its own mischief and then the owner gets rid of it because somehow it's not like those collies on the telly :(

I always used to be said that a Border Collie would never be allowed to win Crufts. Reason being that the breed of the winner invariably becomes "popular" and the organisers appreciated that loads of people knowing nothing about dogs rushing out and buying a Border Collie because they look great on Crusts would be a disaster.

It did actually happen in France where a doberman won their national dog show one year and loads of people rushed out and got one and had no idea how to handle them and them you had loads of untrained dogs being handled by un-knowlegable owners ...

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

robing wrote:
AMMoffat wrote:In both videos, I really don't know why the cyclist did not just continue on his way. Constantly stopping, gesticulating, shouting and unnecessarily swearing was just inflaming the situation and encouraging the dog. The dog, despite barking, was not in any way acting aggressively and would have got bored if the cyclist had just got on with his business. Whilst someone who is clearly fearful of dogs would not necessarily recognise this, I think the reaction of the cyclist was a bit over the top.

Disagree. Every time the cyclist tried to carry on, the dog chased him. This can trigger a predatory response and the dog could have tried to bite at his legs or just got in the way which could have caused the cyclist to come off. The cyclist was just on his way to work minding his own business. Why should he be disrupted by an idiotic owner and their out of control dog. :evil:

It is down to how you (as a cyclist) behave. It has happened to me once from one of a pair of Border Collies. And dogs (in my experience) can "go for" the back wheel (which worries me should their teeth get caught, dragged into mudguard ...). So all I did was say to the owner in a very friendly way that I was worried about her dog getting caught in the back wheel and getting injured. And owner happily took hold of the problem dog and was very grateful to me for my consideration for her treasured dogs. It's call dealing with other people - you can get their backs up and antagonise them and have problems or you can be friendly etc. and everything goes really smoothly.

Ian
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

AMMoffat wrote:
Flinders wrote:Working Labs from working bloodlines are fine, they're properly trained, and bred for intelligence and health.

No dog from a working strain or otherwise becomes properly trained without a great deal of effort from its owner. Have you any idea the number of border collies that end up in rescue because their owners think they arrive able to herd sheep, compete in obedience or do heelwork to music because they've seen them doing all these things on TV and they're clever aren't they :lol: So they don't bother to train it, it makes use of its intelligence to make its own mischief and then the owner gets rid of it because somehow it's not like those collies on the telly :(

Working dogs ought to be working. People ought not to buy them as pets unless they are willing to give them as much exercise as they would get when working, and few people are able to do that if they go out to work. Working dogs do take a lot of time end effort to train, of course, I never meant to suggest otherwise - and the owner also has to have the right personality; it's no good trying to train any animal if you aren't consistent about what you ask of it - some people just don't seem to be able to do that. They give in to the dog and give it treats when it has been disobedient, for example.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Psamathe wrote:
AMMoffat wrote:In both videos, I really don't know why the cyclist did not just continue on his way. Constantly stopping, gesticulating, shouting and unnecessarily swearing was just inflaming the situation and encouraging the dog. The dog, despite barking, was not in any way acting aggressively and would have got bored if the cyclist had just got on with his business. Whilst someone who is clearly fearful of dogs would not necessarily recognise this, I think the reaction of the cyclist was a bit over the top. That does not in any way excuse the dog owner who failed to put her dog on the lead when it was obviously irritating someone. The dog wanted to play but the cyclist clearly did not.

Absolutely. And had I been the owner dealing with a cyclist like that I would not have restrained my language like the owner in the video did.

Cyclists expect the public (drivers, pedestrians, horse riders, etc.) to cooperate with them ... well it works both ways.

It is very rare for a dog to seriously want to attack somebody. Occasionally when I cycle past a particular farm their massive German Shepherd will charge out after me and chase me down the road barking. 1st time it happened I looked back and immediately saw that despite the barking he was not being aggressive, so I slowed, he slowed, I slowed more, he slowed more and he was always maintaining a safe distance between me and himself. And I stopped and he stopped. If you are going to cycle you have to learn about the hazards and how to read them. People here get very critical of another cyclist who e.g. rides too close to the kerb and has a close pass (etc.). Dogs, like car drivers like blind bends are part of cycling so you have to learn how to read the conditions and behave appropriately.

Ian

Yeah, right. Tried that as a walker on a footpath on a local farm, Mr Ortho was bitten twice as we slowly walked away from the dog. And he was brought up with dogs in the house and knows exactly what to do. When challenged, and asked what he would do if we'd had a child with us that has been bitten, we were told by the owner that it would have been our fault a child was injured for taking children where we knew there was a dog.

It doesn't matter even whether the dog is in attack mode or not if you're on a bike. If it's as thick as pig whatsit and completely out of control and and runs at the bike, as this one did, it can still knock you over. That could cause serious damage to you very easily, like broken elbow or anything. That's what that cyclist seemed to be concerned about, and he was perfectly right to be concerned.
That dog ought to have been on a lead. A short lead. If dogs don't come when called they ought to be on leads in public places.
If owners don't stop behaving in an irresponsible way, as all too many do these days, I can see we will need a law that says all dogs must be on leads in public places or be impounded. I'm not sure we don't need such a law now. I'd be sorry to see it, but there are simply too many bad owners for things to go on as they are.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I have had to stop because of playful dogs slightly out of control on tracks and lanes, and I have always exercised a bit of patience. Okay, the dog should be under tighter control, but life's too short to spend it mouthing off to everyone who does something a little bit wrong that causes you a bit of inconvenience. I stay still and give the dog owner a chance to get their dog, and I do it with good humour. Usually the owner apologises for the dog's antics.

Being confronted with an aggressive dog is a different matter.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Flinders wrote:...
It doesn't matter even whether the dog is in attack mode or not if you're on a bike. If it's as thick as pig whatsit and completely out of control and and runs at the bike, as this one did, it can still knock you over. That could cause serious damage to you very easily, like broken elbow or anything. That's what that cyclist seemed to be concerned about, and he was perfectly right to be concerned....

Personally I'm far more concerned about large chunks of metal on wheels that speed past me often far too close often "out of proper control" as the driver is busy "liking" some Facebook post or twittering something, texting, etc. To me they are far more dangerous; encountered far more often; etc.

Some people in the UK seem exceptionally intolerant of dogs (or maybe the regard "shared use" and really being for their exclusive use). when I lived in France I was bitten by other dogs (drawing blood) 3 times in public places and all times the owners and everybody completely ignored the incident (a natural occurrence ... it happens some times) and guess what, every time the puncture wound heeled.

In my life I have been bitten far far far more often by creatures other than dogs (cats, rats, mice, exotics, etc.). So if it's fear of being bitten by a dog, then other creatures are bigger risk.

Ian
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I agree with people who said no dog is safe to be left around children. As a kid my grandparents had a jrt which absolutely doted on us kids. It still bit me once or twice when I ignored its warnings and continued stroking it when it was trying to sleep in a sunny spot. It growled slightly, then took a lazy snap at me but completely missing me then it bit me. My own fault due to my age and inexperience around dogs. Basically the dog is never safe to be around kids on their own and vice versa. Kids, especially young kids, should always be supervised around all dogs IMHO.

Dogs are a social, pack animal that can pick.up on a lot more subtle cues of behavior than humans. This often means they can learn to read your behavior but you will rarely if ever be able to pick up on all their behavioral cues. Other dogs can which is part of the problem. Dogs kind of see humans as they see other dogs in some ways. What I mean is normal and safe behaviour for a human could be different from a dog's pov.

BTW pity the postman if you have a dog and make sure it is kept inside so it can't get to the postie. They have to enter your property to deliver the mail. To a dog that is invading their territory. That natural behaviour that results could lead to aggression and a bite. The trouble is they have a legal duty to deliver the post. They get bitten, it gets reported, the manager writes a letter to the dog owner outlining possible actions if they don't secure their dog and it bites again. The postman then has to deliver the letter! The procedure, as told by 3 posties I used to know, is a certain number of these letters after each biting incidence before the owner has to collect all their post from the sorting office. After a period royal mail starts to deliver mail again.

To put it another way, postmen and postponed can legally be bitten by a dog many times in their job. Health and safety legislation be damned it can not protect posties. P.S. those posties I used to know used to have a bit of banter about it. They kind of.compete over who had the most dog bites. IIRC one guy won but only because he had a late surge of 3 bites in less than a year. Most of them from one Labrador that had only bitten him. It took a dislike to him but was really friendly to other posties delivering there.

Working dogs need to be worked. Plain and simple fact. Breeds like collie dogs need exercise and stimulation. Although I was told there are two breeding populations, working colllies and pedigree collies as family pets or for shows. Former are a handful but latter group tends to be slightly easier. However collies, Springer/ Cocker spaniels, etc are always thought going to be high energy/exercise level dogs that need high levels of exercise as least twice a day. I once read each walk should be 1.5 hours = 3 hours per day. You can't give that and you can't afford to pay someone to do you that for you then don't get those breeds of dogs.

My personal preference would be a greyhound cross. They're often known by those who familiar with the breed as the world's fastest couch potato. Basically they're often happy with half an hour to 45 minutes walk with about 20 minutes off lead running in a safe area. Then they'll tire and just want to sleep the rest of the day, usually taking up.most of your couch if they're full sized greyhounds.

Still, you always need to train your dog, which also trains the owner. A well trained owner keeps people and their.dogs safe and that'll make the dog happier too. It all comes.from the owner being trained and being responsible. A good for dog is because of a good owner IMHO.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Tangled Metal wrote:...
Dogs are a social, pack animal that can pick.up on a lot more subtle cues of behavior than humans. This often means they can learn to read your behavior but you will rarely if ever be able to pick up on all their behavioral cues. Other dogs can which is part of the problem. Dogs kind of see humans as they see other dogs in some ways. What I mean is normal and safe behaviour for a human could be different from a dog's pov.

I think the basic (and important) signs from dogs are fairly easy to read. The lifted lip, growl, tongue flick, mouth open, etc.. Trouble is a very small number of stupid owners train their dogs not to give these signs. Sometimes you see stupid people scolding their dogs for growling at somebody/something. I love a dog that growls as it is telling you it is unhappy with you and is a warning. Excellent that it is warning you; like somebody telling you that you have angered them and should leave now before things escalate.

(Most) Dogs (and many other animals) give warnings signs as part of their in-built aversion to fighting which is almost always a risk for the wellbeing of the dog itself and it knows that. They will warn before attacking in the hope and giving you time to back down from doing whatever it is you are doing that upsets them. Pity the wasps living in my garden don't give warnings though - I've had more pain from them than the accumulated injuries from other animals through my entire life.

Ian
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I've just remembered another reason to carry a frame pump.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

ANTONISH wrote:I've just remembered another reason to carry a frame pump.

Probably depends on how you propose to use it. Wave it around in a threatening manner perhaps - to tell the dog you're standing no nonsense! The more extreme employment of a pump is, perhaps, a bit too "Richard Ballantine" for my liking! :shock:

Or, perhaps, be prepared to sacrifice the pump? Throw it as far as you can, in the hope that the dog will chase it while you make your escape? Perhaps you'll retrieve it if you return to the locality later in the day.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

jackg wrote:Why do people do this? one on one side and one on the other?

This is "Shoulder theory"

Shoulders act like magnets, but only repel

Hence if you get a road or corridor, the shoulders force causes the person to walk down the middle

With more than two people it is more complex - The shoulders not only repel from the sides of the road / corridor, but from that of the other person.

This is why when you get to people they will position themselves equidistantly taking up the whole space.

Add a third person and again you will get equidistant spread across the available space.

Next time you are in a corridor - watch and you will see how this theory works

I haven't gained International recognition for this theory yet, but I suspect it is on its way
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cunobelin wrote:
jackg wrote:Why do people do this? one on one side and one on the other?

This is "Shoulder theory"

Shoulders act like magnets, but only repel

Hence if you get a road or corridor, the shoulders force causes the person to walk down the middle

With more than two people it is more complex - The shoulders not only repel from the sides of the road / corridor, but from that of the other person.

This is why when you get to people they will position themselves equidistantly taking up the whole space.

Add a third person and again you will get equidistant spread across the available space.

Next time you are in a corridor - watch and you will see how this theory works

I haven't gained International recognition for this theory yet, but I suspect it is on its way

The invitation to the Palace must be in the post, surely!