Cycle clothing?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
bobzeller

Re: Cycle clothing?

Post by bobzeller »

Has anyone experience with a Paramo Quinto jacket? I'm particularly keen to find out if it is usable during summer months. It seems to be an excellent all-round touring jacket. Not too cycling specific in cut but sufficient and both reasonably light weight and packable. But would it be too warm to wear year round?

Thanks

Bob
meic

Post by meic »

I mentioned it up thread and here before that.

Mine has pretty much hung on a hook since April, I think it may come out again for an Abergavenny ride on Sunday. That is because I have different jackets I can use for summer which are not as warm or bulky.

Last month had lots of dry days where I wore warm non-waterproof clothing and carried a waterproof. I could have worn the Quito on those occasions and not taken a waterproof in my panniers. I dont take the Quito because it requires special washing considerations, the clothes I wore were just thrown in the normal washing after every ride.

I am to a large extent saving it for best and not wearing it out* when not really needed.

*Wearing it out: meaning getting damaged, dirty, holed, stained, threadbare rather than meaning adorning it on outdoor trips.
Yma o Hyd
bobzeller

Post by bobzeller »

Many thanks Meic.

I hadn't seen your earlier comments.

Cheers

Bob
in4time

Post by in4time »

I use a Quito for riding and think it is OK, but with reservations.

Pluses:
*Venting options and the zips are good quality
"Adjustable drawstrings
*Breathability
*Quiet
*Waterproofing is good
*Internal pockets are good

Minuses:
*Not long enough
*Poor design around shoulder/nape region creates 'sweat sink' and billowing effect
*Cuffs are awful, truly.

I did think of a pair of matching trousers for cycling and hill walking but for the money there are better options.

Speaking of legwear: Anyone recommend a pair of 3/4 padded shorts. Its getting a little nippy in the trossachs now :D
bobzeller

Post by bobzeller »

Thanks in4time. I'm grateful for your comments. Perhaps I should look at Ventile cloth jackets as well. In the late seventies, I had a Green Spot Nomad Ventile cloth jacket and it was as good as you could get in those days. It's now being made by Hilltrek, in Scotland. Howies also make a couple. What I'm looking for is a jacket that is reasonably waterproof, quick drying, all-day comfortable and not form fitting like so many cycling specific jackets. It should have pockets for those times when it's worn off the bike. And it should be light weight and easy to pack in a pannier of 'bar bag. Any ideas?

Cheers
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Doesn't sound like paramo or ventile. Paramo is bulky and heavy when wet. Ventile is heavy when wet and heavy too I believe. I've had paramo for walking use before but not ventile. Paramo is loose fitting. IMHO baggy for the jacket/arm length. Medium is loose on me but large is only just long enough for me in the arms. Even their lighter, athletic fit jackets and smocks don't fit me. The first version of Alta and Cascade jackets 20 plus years ago.weren't as bad as.the current sizes.

Have you considered weather resistant rather than waterproof? I used to wear a buffalo windshirt over a.highly.wicking mid layer instead of a waterproof when walking in the lakes over 15-20 years ago. Before I could replace my winter paramo kit with lightweight event jacket. Kept me dry in.surprisingly wet conditions for hours but did dry out soon enough after the rain stopped.
bobzeller

Post by bobzeller »

Many thanks for the suggestion, Tangled Web. I'll do some homework.

Cheers

Bob
bobzeller

Post by bobzeller »

Sorry Tangled Metal. Got the name wrong.

Bob
bobzeller

Post by bobzeller »

Has anyone one compared the Showers Pass Refuge, Paramo Quinto and the RAB cycling jackets suitable for touring? I would use whatever I chose year round, so while waterproofness and breathability are import to me, so would ventilation. Other forum users have recommend these, but I'm wondering if one stands out from the others.

Many thanks

Bob