For a change...

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
[XAP]Bob

For a change...

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Yesterday I got home, and then had to pop out for a chorizo - so I got back into civvies (and sandals) and grabbed an upwrong from the stable for the gentle trip to the shop (easier to lock up).

This morning I decided that I fancied a change and grabbed the SQR bag to throw laptop etc into, and pootled to work on the same upwrong (but trainers today) - took the slower routes, even used a shared use facility, with consciously no intent to "get a move on" at any point.

Pleasant and gentle ride in, no idea how long* it took me :D

The joys of having a selection of vehicles to choose from each day, and the reminder that the easiest way to enjoy a journey... is to sit back and enjoy it :roll: 8)

* Not strictly true, I can put a reasonable upper bound on it, and it's disturbingly quick compared with a more effort driven day.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
661-Pete

Re: For a change...

Post by 661-Pete »

[XAP]Bob wrote:.... upwrong ....
Y'know, if you persist in using that word to refer to the means of locomotion which the overwhelming majority of cyclists favour (including, I suspect, the majority on this board), I shall have no hesitation in alluding to your alternative vehicle as a "deckchair-on-wheels" (or possibly, a "stretch-kiddytrike"). Sorry, but I find your term somewhat demeaning and snobbish. So there! :D
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

661-Pete wrote:
Y'know, if you persist in using that word to refer to the means of locomotion which the overwhelming majority of cyclists favour (including, I suspect, the majority on this board), I shall have no hesitation in alluding to your alternative vehicle as a "deckchair-on-wheels" (or possibly, a "stretch-kiddytrike"). Sorry, but I find your term somewhat demeaning and snobbish. So there! :D

I *do* ride a deckchair-on-wheels normally :mrgreen: although it tends not to collapse like deckchairs are wont to do.

It's intended as no more offensive than talking about dedanglers or any of the other mildly pejorative terms we use for all sorts of things - read it and smile. I could call them uplefts if you prefer ;)

Alternatively I could be completely proper and call them a "rover safety bicycle", or I could go for "UCI stagnated design" ;)

I have two uplefts (although one needs building up) and two deckchairs-on-wheels (one two wheeled, and one with three) of my own, the rest of the stable is filled with assorted uplefts belonging to family and friends. There is an intention to get a miniature deckchair-on-wheels (3) for MicroBob, but uplefts will still be in the majority at home.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I did smile - leastways I put in a :D - as you may have noticed. And "dedanglers" is a new one on me, even Google wasn't any help, but I presume it refers to the most popular type of gear system.

But this is a forum for all types of cyclist, novice, experienced, road, MTB, uprights, recumbents, the lot. I'd tend to avoid terms like "POB" - anything that other users of the forum might take exception to.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

I keep our upright in the lounge and it is staying there. If you aren't so fond of uprights for locomotion, have you considered using a grand instead? I recall seeing a film once which indicated the disadvantages of an upright for such purposes: it starred some obscure actors, called something like Stanley Laurel and Oliver Hardy. I have seen a more recent film in which a grand was used instead, but it didn't seem to be much of an improvement, to be honest.
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

I must admit that I'm yet to find a decent substitute to my 'upwrong' Stratton 3-speed folder for short urban trips where manoeuvrability and 'I'm not too fussed if it gets nicked' are the critical factors. But when I hit a headwind or suffer another low altitude motor pass I do long for a good, cheap, Urban Recumbent
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

iviehoff wrote:I keep our upright in the lounge and it is staying there. If you aren't so fond of uprights for locomotion, have you considered using a grand instead?
I'd love to have a grand - but (a) I haven't the space, and (b) a decent one comes in at a starting price of around £10,000+ :shock: . Would it go faster than an upright? I mean - could I play the Minute Waltz in under a minute, or emulate this rendering of Flight of the Bumble Bee?

I recall seeing a film once which indicated the disadvantages of an upright for such purposes: it starred some obscure actors, called something like Stanley Laurel and Oliver Hardy. I have seen a more recent film in which a grand was used instead, but it didn't seem to be much of an improvement, to be honest.
see here
MartinC

Post by MartinC »

Isn't a recumbent technically just a variation of a bath chair? :D
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

MartinC wrote:Isn't a recumbent technically just a variation of a bath chair? :D

You mean you don't choose to sit on a saddle when showering? Whyever not?

This thread have got slightly OT - it was really a "sit back and smell the roses" meandering across my mind...
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
The joys of having a selection of vehicles to choose from each day, and the reminder that the easiest way to enjoy a journey... is to sit back and enjoy it :roll: 8)

If only more people would do the same.

661-Pete wrote:
Sorry, but I find your term somewhat demeaning and snobbish. So there! :D

I'm not very upright on my safety cycle so I think I must be upwrong :lol: :lol:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I took out my (very safe and sturdy) upright bicycle, and attempted to play the Hammerklavier Sonata on it. Alas! I couldn't find the low B flat. That is to say, not after pumping up the tyres I couldn't....
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

661-Pete wrote:I'd love to have a grand - but (a) I haven't the space, and (b) a decent one comes in at a starting price of around £10,000+ :shock: . Would it go faster than an upright? I mean - could I play the Minute Waltz in under a minute, or emulate this rendering of Flight of the Bumble Bee?

If you had the technique, yes! A grand piano can play faster than an upright thanks to its 'double repetition' action. This means that a note can be repeated without the key having to rise back fully to the top before each finger strike. On an upright piano a key needs to be released completely before you can play it again. On a grand, however, you only need to allow the key to rise about 1/4 inch or less before you can repeat the note.

Really good players can 'beat' an upright but not a grand. That Bumblebee performance would be impossible on an upright. So the next time it takes you 10 minutes to play the Minute Waltz just blame your piano - a bit like cycling, perhaps :D .
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

LollyKat wrote:
661-Pete wrote:I'd love to have a grand - but (a) I haven't the space, and (b) a decent one comes in at a starting price of around £10,000+ :shock: . Would it go faster than an upright? I mean - could I play the Minute Waltz in under a minute, or emulate this rendering of Flight of the Bumble Bee?

If you had the technique, yes! A grand piano can play faster than an upright thanks to its 'double repetition' action. This means that a note can be repeated without the key having to rise back fully to the top before each finger strike. On an upright piano a key needs to be released completely before you can play it again. On a grand, however, you only need to allow the key to rise about 1/4 inch or less before you can repeat the note.

Really good players can 'beat' an upright but not a grand. That Bumblebee performance would be impossible on an upright. So the next time it takes you 10 minutes to play the Minute Waltz just blame your piano - a bit like cycling, perhaps :D .
Or you could try this instead. Is it an upright?? :wink:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.