Commuting tyes

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
reohn2

Re: Commuting tyes

Post by reohn2 »

MikeF wrote: Yes I have so far found the Hyper an easy rolling tyre and seemingly quite comfortable, but at the moment I don't know how it really performs in the wet. It doesn't appear to carry much water around it in the wet which maybe a good thing, but main mean there's a film of water at the contact patch.

I've found them good in wet weather,no complaints :)

The most sure footed (road/touring) tyres for these patches I found are Continental Contact II. 700x32. - may not be good in other respects, but grip is good.

It's not strange when you look at tread pattern
P1050065.JPG
And those tyres are 28mm wide on a 19mm rim.

Ah! My mistake :oops:
I thought you meant Sport Contact II,which are a pimply slick.
The tread in the picture could help,slicks and mud don't go together very well.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Today I cycled on a section of road through "slushy" mud which came up the side of the tyre nearly to to reflective strip and didn't have problems with grip from the Hyper although I tried to keep the front wheel as straight as possible.

It's a road which I use about once a month and for which the County Council has only limited responsibility for maintenance - what ever that means! The road sign states "unsuitable for motor vehicles". It's not a BOAT, but a bit of an oddity of a ROW, but extremely useful as a through route for cycling (or walking or horse riding). It has a hard base, some potholes and uneven surface, and the muddy section is used by farm vehicles. After recent torrential downpours the mud is a bit like soup!
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Therealsouthstander

Post by Therealsouthstander »

I do like the sound of hypers but I'm not sure I'll be able to use them for long. The roads up here in Scotland will have a bit of frost and ice anytime in the next 4 weeks or so.. Hope the Vittoria Randonneurs pro will suit a bit better. .
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

I've not used Vittoria Randonneur pro, but other reports suggest they're not the same rolling class as Hypers. I've only had a Hyper on a front wheel for about 150 miles on various terrain, but it certainly appears to be a comfortable fast easy rolling tyre. As mentioned above I've found Conti Contact II good for grip, but I don't know how they fare in ice and snow.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.