Commuting tyes

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Therealsouthstander

Commuting tyes

Post by Therealsouthstander »

I've finally taken the plunge and bought a Planet X London road for my daily commute.

Think I've blundered with my choice of tyres,went for the Hutchinson top slick 2.. Think they're a bit too slick..

Can anyone recommend me a decent fast ish tyre for ridding on country roads ,city centre and sometimes gravel paths.. Something with a bit more grip than the Hutchinson top slicks as it gets kinda wet at times up here in Scotland... :D

Think the Hutcinson ones come in at 590g so something close would be good

Many thanks
Rhodrich

Re: Commuting tyes

Post by Rhodrich »

Sounds like the Vittoria Randonneur Pro would fit the bill perfectly:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-randon ... 5360526448
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I've not tried those but the Hypers are well known round these parts and well regarded among those of us who have clearances for them.
http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVIVOHY/v ... lding-tyre but you'll have to wait till they're back in stock.
Absolutely brilliant tyres in all conditions, including offroad. Not brilliant through slippery mud, but they've yet to have me come off when I have had to get through it.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Looking at PX's site the London Rd has clearance for 35mm(actual size)700x37c Vittoria Voyager Hypers and mudguards,no contest IMO,fast,durable,sticky and long lasting.
If you don't wish to go that light Vittoria Randonneur Pro's*,same 120tpi carcass with a leettle more rubber on threaded area.

*not ordinary Randonneurs,the word 'Pro' means a better more supple carcass.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Therealsouthstander

Cheers for the suggestions.

The 700x 37c Vittoria Voyager Hypers seem to be a hit with quite a few people I've spoken with. Any idea where I can get a hold of them ? The PX website is saying out of stock and the old price of £9.99'seems to be a bargain.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Therealsouthstander wrote:Cheers for the suggestions.

The 700x 37c Vittoria Voyager Hypers seem to be a hit with quite a few people I've spoken with. Any idea where I can get a hold of them ? The PX website is saying out of stock and the old price of £9.99'seems to be a bargain.

Not as cheap as PX but not a bad price:-
http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/vitt ... aid:643237
W H Auden
Therealsouthstander

I've bought stuff from them before,excellent outfit and decent prices.. I see they have 3 different sizes.. What ones to you think would be best ?
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Go for the biggest you can get under your guards whilst allowing a good 10mm clearance.
The rolling resistance between the 32 and 38 will be barely noticeable to anyone but the most performance hungry but the bigger tyres allow lower pressures and smoother running with less risk of snake bites etc.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Vantage wrote:Go for the biggest you can get under your guards whilst allowing a good 10mm clearance.
The rolling resistance between the 32 and 38 will be barely noticeable to anyone but the most performance hungry but the bigger tyres allow lower pressures and smoother running with less risk of snake bites etc.

+1
W H Auden
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Vantage wrote: Not brilliant through slippery mud, but they've yet to have me come off when I have had to get through it.
Too true. I have recently put on a Hyper on the front to try out. Yes it's fine on a dry surface, but on patches where the mud maybe 1 inch deep grip can be very poor. I've had the front wheel slide as I've gone through patches. :shock: The most sure footed (road/touring) tyres for these patches I found are Continental Contact II. 700x32. - may not be good in other respects, but grip is good.

Interestingly a 700x32 bead to bead 84mm Hyper weighs 408gms and a 700x37 bead to bead 95mm weighs.... er 405/409gms :?. Also the pressures quoted on the sidewalls are 45-90psi for the 700x32 and 65-90psi for the 700x37 ie they are quoting a higher minimum pressure for the larger tyre.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

MikeF wrote:
Vantage wrote: Not brilliant through slippery mud, but they've yet to have me come off when I have had to get through it.
Too true. I have recently put on a Hyper on the front to try out. Yes it's fine on a dry surface, but on patches where the mud maybe 1 inch deep grip can be very poor. I've had the front wheel slide as I've gone through patches. :shock:

I find it strange you expect grip from a slick tyre on 1in thick mud.

The most sure footed (road/touring) tyres for these patches I found are Continental Contact II. 700x32. - may not be good in other respects, but grip is good.

Stranger still.

Interestingly a 700x32 bead to bead 84mm Hyper weighs 408gms and a 700x37 bead to bead 95mm weighs.... er 405/409gms :?.

Yeah odd is that :? ,I haven't tried a 32mm Hyper,I've been so happy with the 37c and 40c ones I've never felt the need to go smaller :)
Also the pressures quoted on the sidewalls are 45-90psi for the 700x32 and 65-90psi for the 700x37 ie they are quoting a higher minimum pressure for the larger tyre.

I've long since ignored sidewall recommended TP's and use this as a guide,adjusting up or down to suit the specific tyre and load:-
http://www.bikequarterly.com/images/TireDrop.pdf
I find to get optimum performance a harsh less supple tyre with such as a Schwalbe Marathon or the Conti Contact II mentioned* need a little less air in than a supple slick such as Hypers.
That said,I run 700x37c Hypers @ 45psi front and 65psi rear,and if riding a lot of off road tracks and forest gravelly roads will lower the front one to 40psi,that's with a load of 85kg(me) and 13kg bike and luggage 40% front 60% weight distribution.
FWIW we only run 32mm (Ribmo)tyres on the tandem @ 85psi front 95psi rear,with an all up weight of around 170kg.

*I haven't tried the newer Contact II only the older model with the crazy wavy line on it(what was that all about? :? ),it was more like a big Gatorskin ie; not the supplest of tyres,I don't know if the newer one is any different.
W H Auden
Therealsouthstander

reohn2 wrote:Looking at PX's site the London Rd has clearance for 35mm(actual size)700x37c Vittoria Voyager Hypers and mudguards,no contest IMO,fast,durable,sticky and long lasting.

I'm a little confused ( Not difficult )as what you mean, so the 700x37c will fit my bike ? What do you mean by the actual size ?
I think the London road has clearance for 38mm ??
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Therealsouthstander wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Looking at PX's site the London Rd has clearance for 35mm(actual size)700x37c Vittoria Voyager Hypers and mudguards,no contest IMO,fast,durable,sticky and long lasting.

I'm a little confused ( Not difficult )as what you mean, so the 700x37c will fit my bike ? What do you mean by the actual size ?
I think the London road has clearance for 38mm ??

My fault entirely,I got confused.
To put the record straight Hypers are marked up as 622x37,700x35c which = 35mmx35mm actual widthxheight and 622x40,700x38c which = 37mmx37mm actual.
These measurements are on a standard 19mm internal width touring type rim.
W H Auden
Therealsouthstander

Perfect, cleared up (Kinda)

Looks like any of these sizes will do..

Many thanks
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

And 700x32c Hypers are 32-622. :wink: I haven't measured them on a rim.
reohn2 wrote:
MikeF wrote:
Too true. I have recently put on a Hyper on the front to try out. Yes it's fine on a dry surface, but on patches where the mud maybe 1 inch deep grip can be very poor. I've had the front wheel slide as I've gone through patches. :shock:

I find it strange you expect grip from a slick tyre on 1in thick mud.
1 inch mud/muck isn't deep at all. Patches of it can be common on tracks/trails, rural roads etc. Yes I have so far found the Hyper an easy rolling tyre and seemingly quite comfortable, but at the moment I don't know how it really performs in the wet. It doesn't appear to carry much water around it in the wet which maybe a good thing, but main mean there's a film of water at the contact patch.

The most sure footed (road/touring) tyres for these patches I found are Continental Contact II. 700x32. - may not be good in other respects, but grip is good.

Stranger still.

It's not strange when you look at tread pattern
P1050065.JPG
And those tyres are 28mm wide on a 19mm rim.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.