"You can't ride in the middle of the road"

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Cunobelin

Re: "You can't ride in the middle of the road"

Post by Cunobelin »

ArMoRothair wrote:The best bit was my daughter's response. In all innocence she turned to me, as we joined the usual queue of cars at the next traffic lights, and asked: "what is she on about, everyone is in the middle of the road".

Colleague of mine was in a similar situation, and stood her ground (in her car). She couldn't understand why the driver was give=ing them funny looks, until her daughter (14) explained that she had been giving him a middle finger salute
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

My favourite was a narrow bridge crossing Haslar Creek on the way to work. It had cycle lanes both sides, and traffic light controls. Trouble was it was just too narrow to allow two bikes and a car. ... a common occurrence as the change sequence often left bikes crossing the bridge when the lights changed the other way

One morning i was in primary and had a muppet behind sounding his horn and shouting. Now as I was in Primary and doing nothing wrong - I assumed there was something worng with the trike so stopped, dismounted to check, shrugged shoulders and smiled.

Problem was that bythis point the lights had changed and there was now a bus and half a dozen cars coming up the other side of the bridge. I was fin as I just dismounted and allowed them to pass. He however had to reverse down the bridge and pull into an access road to let them past.

I enjoyed watching that!
ArMoRothair

Post by ArMoRothair »

Vantage wrote:
In contrast, I had a lovely ride today without incident, friendly walkers, patient drivers and even found a nice little picnic spot in a ravine with a gorgeous stream surrounded by forest and moorland :D

Isn't that nice to hear :)
ArMoRothair

Post by ArMoRothair »

Tom Richardson wrote:There's something weird going on with this problem that I've never got to understand:

Many times I've cycled following a car or a van along roads narrowed to a single car's width by parked vehicles. A driver coming the other way or pulling out of a side road has waited for the vehicle I'm following to go past and then immediately set off so that they meet me on my bike square on head to head in the road. I have to stop for them and they have to stop for me because what's left of the road's too narrow to get past. If they'd waited another second or two I could have cycled past unimpeded and they wouldn't have been held up by the faffing around that has to follow so we can get past each other.

Myself and my daughter had an even sillier one last week. Using the marked contra-flow cycle lane on a one way street, we came face to face with an Argos lorry which was driving along (the wrong way) the cycle lane. All three of us stopped. The driver and his assistant starting shouting and gesticulating at us. There were parked cars beside us so we couldn't just (do an illegal) hop up on the footway. I shrugged my shoulders. They shouted louder. Eventually, although I knew we were in the right, I could see it was causing the most enormous jam behind them, I stood off the bike and shepherded my daughter through the parked cars onto the pavement.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I find a headcam helps with these.

They tend to be a lot less shouty when they realise it is being recorded