Had a puncture today

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mercalia

Re: Had a puncture today

Post by mercalia »

well I recently nearly had a puncture. I bet most of us examine the tyres now and then, I did so the other day and found a gash about 4-5 mm long in the tyre, had gone right through the kevlar ( hehe useless stuff ) and I could see the Halfords red tyre liner - thats what stopped what ever it was! 1+ for Halfords tyre liners
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

mercalia wrote:1+ for Halfords tyre liners

But what do those do to comfort and rolling resistance? I dread to think! I’ll take the odd puncture instead.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Samuel D wrote:

But what do those do to comfort and rolling resistance? I dread to think! I’ll take the odd puncture instead.

well my tyres are marathon ( hs 368?) non green 1.75" so quite wide and run at low pressure 60-70 psi ( the max for them) on 26" wheels comfort is fine. no issue at all. As for rolling resistance dont know, my bike , Dawes 1-Down not a super fast machine nor am I, but the few times I have gone fast, goes well, got to top speed easily. so I think rolling issues may not be an issue. When I move over to the new green Marathons I probably wont use them as the green spongy layer is really a tyre liner, ( Kevlar dont really do the job)? Maybe if u have narrow tyres then the effect of tyre liners is not good - already hard high pressure; but certainly no comfort issues with the low pressure of wider tyres
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

mercalia wrote:
well my tyres are marathon ( hs 368?) non green 1.75" so quite wide and run at low pressure 60-70 psi ( the max for them) on 26" wheels comfort is fine. no issue at all.
Low pressure?? How heavy are you?
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Samuel D wrote:

I fitted a tyre with PP Strip (the tyre off a skip bike just happen to have one) waste of time thorns still go through.
Bought another set (different make) which happen to have PP strip and be the cheapest I could buy (I pay extra for no PP strip) and they had two thorns and a piece of glass in one tyre one ride.........all had gone through the PP strip.............................so I have no confidence that they work at all.

Maybe the lack of suppleness is why they still puncture as easily as normal tyres.

I don't buy tyres for speed either, I just select another bike to ride if I want faster :D
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

MikeF wrote:
mercalia wrote:
well my tyres are marathon ( hs 368?) non green 1.75" so quite wide and run at low pressure 60-70 psi ( the max for them) on 26" wheels comfort is fine. no issue at all.
Low pressure?? How heavy are you?

just under 16 stone now 60psi at front and 70 psi at rear. more if I load with camp gear. seems about right though sometimes I have 65 at front and 75 at rear starts to feel a bit edgey but still fine & at the limit for the marathon as said on the side wall
Last edited by mercalia on 11 Sep 2015, 9:35pm, edited 3 times in total.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Samuel D wrote:

I fitted a tyre with PP Strip (the tyre off a skip bike just happen to have one) waste of time thorns still go through.
Bought another set (different make) which happen to have PP strip and be the cheapest I could buy (I pay extra for no PP strip) and they had two thorns and a piece of glass in one tyre one ride.........all had gone through the PP strip.............................so I have no confidence that they work at all.

Maybe the lack of suppleness is why they still puncture as easily as normal tyres.

I don't buy tyres for speed either, I just select another bike to ride if I want faster :D

well in my case the halfords strip had done its job as I could see right thru to it. They have a new version that is tougher and I doubt a thorn would go thru it.
maxcherry

Post by maxcherry »

It would be nice if someone invented a 'Puncture Alarm' some kind of device that make a noise if your bike gets chosen by Mr P Fairy.
Honestly chaps, I'm a female!
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Just read your post again, I see you have inserted a strip inside the tyre.
But where do we end with puncture protection.
I have taken to adding another innertube around the first one, don't know why, but two thorns and the tube had not deflated till well after I got home.

I know some swear by PP strips whether inbuilt or added later.

When green laneing on motorcycles thorns would still go right through the tyres and they are more thicker than any bicyle tyres...............
GrumpyCyclist

Post by GrumpyCyclist »

Had TWO last weekend. Not immediate deflations, but two definite punctures. First one I went out in the morning and when I came to go out again the front tyre was flat. Still had a small part of the twig stuck to it. Culprit? Tiny thorn through the sidewall. The next time I was due to go out (after work a few days later) the rear tyre was very soft. Culprit? Even smaller thorn in main tread, just digging into the tube. Have to say I can't really recommend Continental Cyclocross Speed tyres right now. First real test of the bike on tow paths and trails and both tyres punctured by the same offender by the look of it.
Last edited by GrumpyCyclist on 12 Sep 2015, 11:31pm, edited 1 time in total.
Weight 8th July 2015 111.9Kg : Weight now 93.8Kg. Mostly due to cycling. Wish I'd started much sooner :( #LoveTheBike
robing

Post by robing »

Just completed my first puncture -free tour! It was only 10 days.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

robing wrote:Just completed my first puncture -free tour! It was only 10 days.

What tyres?
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Rhodrich

Post by Rhodrich »

Whilst we're talking about visitations, would anyone happen to know how puncture resistant original Conti Top Touring tyres (from the 1990's) are? I've recently got hold of some 27 x 1 1/4 wheels for one of my bikes that have them fitted, and I'm wondering if it's worth changing them for some more resistant modern tyres? The're in great condition though, with no sidewall cracking.

Back in the day, I can't remember having any more punctures with non puncture resistant tyres than I do today with supposedly puncture resistant ones, but that may just be me looking through rose tinted spectacles.
robing

Post by robing »

robing wrote:Just completed my first puncture -free tour! It was only 10 days.

Schwalbe Marathon - the Kelvar guard ones. I put these on new before my Spain tour of 6 weeks. I got quite a lot of punctures there, mainly from debris on the hard shoulders of N roads. My tour around the Hebrides was only 10 days but although some of the roads/tracks were quite rough, there didn't seem to be any metallic objects like there were in Spain.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Rhodrich wrote:Whilst we're talking about visitations, would anyone happen to know how puncture resistant original Conti Top Touring tyres (from the 1990's) are? I've recently got hold of some 27 x 1 1/4 wheels for one of my bikes that have them fitted, and I'm wondering if it's worth changing them for some more resistant modern tyres? The're in great condition though, with no sidewall cracking.

Back in the day, I can't remember having any more punctures with non puncture resistant tyres than I do today with supposedly puncture resistant ones, but that may just be me looking through rose tinted spectacles.

Rubbish I would ditch them.......................................................

No sell them to me first.................just finally taken mine off after 15 years on bike.........................which they still made them they are fast too and eat trails.

I wouldn't bother with PP protection of any description I have found that nothing will stop thorns, nails, glass, grit etc, etc,........................