Pride comes before a fall

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Shame the driver didn't have any. The cyclist is perhaps unwise to chase and confront the driver but the end would have been a whole lot different if he didn't. Yes, there were injuries but only minor I'm guessing.

This video clip is violent and contains several very strong profanities.

[youtube]2PFRdEUN240[/youtube]
Last edited by Graham on 31 Jul 2015, 7:49am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Warning added
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

As the OP didn't highlight a warning, I will:

This video clip is violent and contains several very strong profanities. Are we a family forum?

Sad indictment of the culture on our roads. Both motorist and cyclist should be brought to book.

The motorist's wrongdoings are a given but the cyclist doesn't even really suffer a close pass. If he was having a bad day and that pass caused him to loose the plot and give chase, maybe he should have stayed in bed. What's he doing cycling? Certainly not enjoying himself. In the process of the chase it looks like he nearly has a couple of collisions with pedestrians.

In the heat of one exchange he admits he's out to wind people up. That he did for sure and he's lucky the motorist didn't catch him the second time as he had lost control by then. I don't blame the cyclist for cycling off down the pavement to escape. Lucky he did but lucky he didn't hit anyone walking along. The poor kid perched in the car. I shake my head for him.

In my opinion, just another wannabe cop with a camera, without the skills or training to record a rational case that would help towards any improvement of the road safety problems we have. Maybe it's me but I think these cameras have made things more dangerous on our roads.

There's also something a bit sick about the editing of this movie. Totally unnecessary to show the motorist falling heavily and at speed a second time and IN SLOW MOTION!
bikerwaser

Re: Pride comes before a fall

Post by bikerwaser »

This is why Car drivers should wear Helmets. Lol !

I hope he got prosecuted for his driving and the assault.

Having said that I don't agree with cyclists going around looking for trouble. I don't think this cyclist was but he didn't control himself enough. Then again in that sort of situation where you've been shaved past within cms of your life and facing a raging lunatic it's hard to keep it together.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

IMHO, it wasn't a close pass anyway! :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
The fat commuter

Post by The fat commuter »

From that video I can't see whether it's a close pass or not.

I did think that the cyclist was a bit of a looney though. You can tell that it's going to get violent. Whilst having a word may have been in order (if it was a close pass), as soon as you can see that the motorist thinks that they're in the right despite being in the wrong, best thing to do is to just cycle away.

Some cyclists need to be more grown up. The red mist can descend sometimes - rise above it. Once the shouting starts then it's just 'another nutter on a bike'. That motorist is now going to go all out for the next cyclist that he sees that he deems isn't cycling properly.

I do think that the cyclist should go to the police with the video - but in my opinion he was looking for trouble by pursuing the motorist and the police may see it that way too.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I think that some miss the fact that a verbal confrontation ends with one individual getting out of car and assaulting another.
Blaming the cyclist because they feel SO vunerable and constantly intimidated by many car drivers is not right I.M.O.

I have had it many times for just raising my arm or not even moving my body apart from my eyes :roll:

When it happens to you good luck with any sympathy..........................................

I should be able to get verbal without profanity and getting physical but not expect any in return.

Best bet is to drive on and NEVER get out of your car to confront / assault..................the cyclist just might protect themselves from their violence...................

I do not blame the cyclist who like me dreads the close pass AT SPEED IN NARROW lanes and roads and the driver always retorts "Whats your problem mate".......................drivers defence - "cyclist confronted me"

Report the driver for assault you have the video.

If anyone thinks that the assault is OK then shame on you.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I think the explanation is that both had just tried to install Windows 10 and it didnt work and their pcs all messed up :lol:

maybe the cyclist should have been further out in the road so that the driver couldnt pass? when this happens to me and I know a car behind me I cycle into a gap of the parked cars - I see there was one coming up? the car driver should have considered this first and given time for this to happen?

Any way scarey all around, atleast the car driver had a fall and grazed his hands. One of these days a cyclist will pull out a taser, and taser the driver :shock: can u get them on Ebay?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Batman-Returns-CATWOMAN-With-Whipping-Arm-Action-Taser-Gun-Kenner-1992-MOC-/161778248009?hash=item25aabc2949

not good enough :cry:
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

mercalia wrote:I think the explanation is that both had just tried to install Windows 10 and it didnt work and their pcs all messed up :lol:

I think the cyclist may be a linux user, and the driver has Vista.

It isn't necessarily the closeness of the pass but the speed of it. The driver is adamant that the cyclist was cycling too far out - which seems like an admission that there wasn't enough room to pass safely (but it's the cyclist's fault!).

As to the benefits, or otherwise, of confronting people with their bad behaviour... in my experience it never turns out well. It's not just that people don't like to be told off. As the wronged party, I don't initiate the discussion in the most loving manner, and the response is consequently defensive or hostile. A beatific smile (like a member of a religious cult) works best for me - they can interpret it how they like.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

The fat commuter wrote:..... but in my opinion he was looking for trouble by pursuing the motorist and the police may see it that way too.

Sorry but there is no excuse for physical assault and there should be no place here for victim blaming either.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I till recently still been using W2K.........compatible with zilch..............."Don't push me"............... :lol:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Hate to say it, but if you need proof that pedestrians should be wearing helmets...
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

kwackers wrote:Hate to say it, but if you need proof that pedestrians should be wearing helmets...

And an argument for putting cannibis in the drinking water? There are a lot of people on a short fuse out there. They really need to calm down a bit.
Tacascarow

Post by Tacascarow »

mercalia wrote:I think the explanation is that both had just tried to install Windows 10 and it didnt work and their pcs all messed up :lol:

maybe the cyclist should have been further out in the road so that the driver couldnt pass? when this happens to me and I know a car behind me I cycle into a gap of the parked cars - I see there was one coming up? the car driver should have considered this first and given time for this to happen?

Any way scarey all around, atleast the car driver had a fall and grazed his hands. One of these days a cyclist will pull out a taser, and taser the driver :shock: can u get them on Ebay?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Batman-Returns-CATWOMAN-With-Whipping-Arm-Action-Taser-Gun-Kenner-1992-MOC-/161778248009?hash=item25aabc2949

not good enough :cry:
I was in a discussion a few weeks back with a cyclist from the States who was amazed when I said it's illegal to carry pepper spray in the UK.
Actually made them think twice about coming here to tour.

The cyclist in this instance handled it badly but that's no excuse for the drivers ignorance of the highway code or his subsequent attempt to harm property & physical.
If you are trying to prove a point with a camera the best thing you can do is shut up & let the camera & the offender do the talking.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I've never had a confrontation since I took to carrying a camera - and I think one lesson learned is, I wouldn't draw attention to my camera if such a situation arose with me. As pointed out already, just let the camera keep rolling, hope the offender is too full of his own venom to notice, and then if it merits a Police report, hand the camera (or at any rate the SD card) over to the police intact. Let them draw their own conclusions. But I hope it never happens...

I've never had a driver get out of their car in anger. The closest I got was a stream of F-words from a driver waiting at a level crossing - but he stayed in his seat. I cleared off. No sense in escalating it. This was before I got my camera.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Regarding the close pass which sparked all this off - debatable I think, but the motorist certainly seemed to be driving aggressively (as so many do). My close pass from my Dutch motorist a few weeks ago, which I posted up on here, seemed a bit closer in actual inches. Judge for yourself.
close pass by NL driver.jpg

But I didn't do anything about it. I wouldn't have been able to catch the car anyway.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).