Share the space drop your pace

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
reohn2

Re: Share the space drop your pace

Post by reohn2 »

Mark1978 wrote:What's the point in fishing if you don't eat the result?

Would you eat something you caught in the canal? :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

RickH wrote:I liked the illustration they used for this on Facebook
Duck lane.JPG

First time I've ever seen a Duck Lane! :D

Rick.

But it is only a painted one and guaranteed cars will be parking in it before long!!
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Slowroad wrote:I'm never quite sure how to 'give way' to pedestrians - if they are going your way you tinkle your bell cheerfully and say hello, and they move over so you can overtake saying 'thanks!' If they are going the opposite way they see you and stand or walk to one side so you can cycle past. I've sometimes stopped to let pedestrians walk past but have been beckoned to cycle on as they stand to one side. That's if it all goes well! I do stop and let people walk past if I'm on a path where I'm not sure I'm supposed to be cycling though!

I think by saying 'give way to pedestrians' they have not used quite the right phrase. Probably giving them priority is closer to what the people behind the leaflet intended. This is pretty much what you are doing — slowing down, taking care, letting them know you are there in a courteous and non-demanding way, being prepared to stop in order that they can continue walking. Generally, treating others as more important than yourself. Politeness and consideration.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bmblbzzz wrote:....... Generally, treating others as more important than yourself.Politeness and consideration.

That sums it up IMHO,consideration and being polite costs nothing,unfortunately for some you'd think it costs the earth :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden