A (sort of familiar) tale

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Chris the Sheep

A (sort of familiar) tale

Post by Chris the Sheep »

So, I'm riding my bike along a long straight road in Blackpool. It's a 30 limit, but seven or eight cars ahead there's somebody doing no more than 20, and the traffic behind is a bit start-stop, probably averaging 15mph.

Because of parked cars and pinch points, I was riding along in Primary, keeping up with the traffic without difficulty.

Then a moron in a blinged-up Celica decides he's sick of being held up by me, and in a gap between parked cars he accelerates up my nearside and forces his way in from my left, nearly knocking me off (it was completely unexpected).

A familiar tale I hear you cry.

The difference?

I was riding a 1000cc motorbike!

Some drivers really are too thick to be allowed out without an adult.
reohn2

Re: A (sort of familiar) tale

Post by reohn2 »

Yesterday in primary,I was about 1.5metres from the STOP sign at a crossroads when out of the corner of my eye I noticed a car bumper on my right side.
On looking around I saw a white Fiat 500 with it's left indicator flashing and a rather attractive twenty something lady at the wheel.
As we stopped at the line and with the car straddling the central white line,she held her wrists together on top of the steering wheel with her palms facing outward and mouthed,''which way''.
I pointed straight across and shouted to her ''straight on'',she then held her hands up to heaven(praise the Lord fashion).
Traffic cleared and I set off and was almost across the junction,when she began turning left behind me and with her drivers side window down shouted ''which way are you going''.
I'm afraid I shouted ''straight on you silly bu@@er''

She didn't look like a nutter but it's hard to tell :?

PS,I wasn't in Blackpool at the time :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Eammno

Post by Eammno »

Have had similar experience, a couple of times on cycle and motorcycle... typically approaching a TL on red, so I usually filter past.
Problem is half the population is below average intelligence.
MartinC

Post by MartinC »

Eammno wrote:..............................................Problem is half the population is below average intelligence.

.....................and the other half don't understand averages! :D
karlt

Post by karlt »

Moron of the Day - red thing, didn't get the model because self preservation dictated concentrating on brakes, left hook into Aldi. Good job I was going slightly uphill or there'd have been no chance. Thing about left hooks is they can't even claim SMIDSY; if they'd not seen you they'd have rear ended you.
ArMoRothair

Post by ArMoRothair »

Lights turn green, I'm first in the queue in the ASL taking primary. I start off quite briskly. 20 mph zone, lots of pinch points, I stay in primary.

Ford Transit behind doesn't like this and overtakes me engine screaming in second gear. He hasn't even fully completed the overtake when his right indicator goes on (at least he indicated) as he's reached the turning on the right he needs. As he slows for the turn the oncoming traffic means he pushes over on me and forces me into the gutter.

That was this morning. I'm sure there'll be something similar tomorrow.
Slow Loris

Post by Slow Loris »

An unhappy man in a van recently shouted at me for being in primary :x . I dutifully moved over – to his right, and proceeded to filter past him and the huge line of stationary traffic he'd cut in front of me to join :lol: .

More of the same expected next week (smug mode now turned off) :mrgreen: .
Slow Loris
Energy sparingly used
The fat commuter

Post by The fat commuter »

After over a year of commuting on my bike, someone had a go at me last week for riding the primary line. I was doing 26mph in a thirty zone. I would have been doing 30 only there was a car and skip lorry in front of me. As I was cycling, I sensed this car next to me then braking as there was a car coming in the opposite direction. At the next junction, he was turning left, I was going straight on when he shouted at me to ride in the side of the road. I gave him two words in reply and they weren't "Primary Line". I do feel guilty about dropping to his level but he was a muppet.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Well, here in the States for the moment (with car), guys are overtaking each other on either side with complete abandon. Apparently it's not against the law over here. As far as using the roads is concerned, I'll be jolly glad to be back in Blighty tomorrow (and back on the bike :) ). There are worse things.... :wink:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).