Bus Stop Wireless interference?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Postboxer

Bus Stop Wireless interference?

Post by Postboxer »

Leisurely rode past a bus stop earlier, on Paddock Lane in Warburton, near Lymm, noticed my Aldi wireless computer showed my speed going up and up to about 38 then back to normal, lots of the bus stops around Cheshire seem to have electronic display boards on them, with information of ETAs of the next bus etc, I didn't notice if the bus stop I passed had one of these, streetview doesn't show one but it's from 2009. Didn't see anything else obvious that could have caused it, has anyone else noticed interference when passing bus stops?
It may explain why the max speed recorded was 48mph the other week.
Psamathe

Re: Bus Stop Wireless interference?

Post by Psamathe »

I've recently returned (for refund) my cycle computer.

I found that after a ride it was sitting on my kitchen table recording occasional speed (e.g. 0.0, 0.0, 18.5, 5.5, 0.0, 16.2, 0.0, etc.). It could go on doing that for hours. However, it stopped the unit from recording "stationary" so whilst it would not accumulate too much distance, it would extend the ride timer which meant the av. speed dropped significantly.

And then I noticed that walking round Waitrose the computer would be doing the same - resulting in very significant average speed drops. With my bike stationary and locked up outside, cycle computer in my pocket and the two contacts that detect "on bike" un-shorted, I could enter waitrose with an av. speed of e.g. 13.8 and after a brief shop for a few items my av. speed would be down to e.g. 12.6.

So they replaced and replacement did the same, so returned for full refund.

And the cycle computer I've got now does not suffer the same problem (though I fooled it by accidentally stopping at a junction with the magnet right beside the sensor and slight movements sent the speed a bit OTT briefly!!).

IAn
Rob Archer

Re: Bus Stop Wireless interference?

Post by Rob Archer »

I'm never convinced by these gadgets. I've just got (second hand) a 'smartphone' with all bells and whistles including a GPS and an app called 'Map my ride'. According to said gizmo I rode 52 miles on Friday and climbed to a maximum altitude of 633 metres. The distance was, I suspect pretty accurate. My ride was from King's Lynn to the Norfolk coast and back! It also told me I'd reached a maximum speed of 118kph!