Boris Backies

Roger Geffen

Boris Backies

Post by Roger Geffen »

Media reports that CTC had "criticised" Boris for giving his wife a 'backie' sparked a certain amount of controversy. When the Press Association phoned up for our reaction to this silly-season political knock-about story, we described it as "naughty", whilst stressing that CTC doesn't defend illegal behaviour by any road user. Yet some media outlets still managed to make us sound incredibly po-faced.

What we hadn't expected though was the number of people who felt we should instead of defended Boris's backie! And of course, it is legal - and perfectly normal - to give backies in countries like the Netherlands.

To be honest, I doubt that many people would argue that legalising backies is a terribly high campaigning priority when there is so much else that needs doing to make cycling in Britain as safe and normal as it is in Denmark, the Netherlands, Germany, Sweden and even mountainous Switzerland. Still, it would be interesting to hear what others think of Boris's backie. Dangerous criminal or just a bit of a rogue - what does everyone reckon?
Si

Re: Boris Backies

Post by Si »

discussion ongoing here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=98888
mjr

Post by mjr »

Roger Geffen wrote:Media reports that CTC had "criticised" Boris for giving his wife a 'backie' sparked a certain amount of controversy. When the Press Association phoned up for our reaction to this silly-season political knock-about story, we described it as "naughty", whilst stressing that CTC doesn't defend illegal behaviour by any road user. Yet some media outlets still managed to make us sound incredibly po-faced.

I felt that CTC should have seen that one coming. Would it have been better to trot out the age-old "we wouldn't advise it, but surely everyone can understand why he did it"? Presumably CTC doesn't make that mistake when asked about other questionable legal offences?

What's this "CTC doesn't defend illegal behaviour"? I thought CTC set up a fund that defends justifiable illegal behaviour like http://www.cyclistsdefencefund.org.uk/p ... st-dropped Has CTC now gone all wishy-washy and abandoned the radical law-challenging to CDF? At what point is a law so absurd that CTC would support civil disobedience?
Still, it would be interesting to hear what others think of Boris's backie. Dangerous criminal or just a bit of a rogue - what does everyone reckon?

Neither: perfectly understandable ordinary person, for once! I bet he wishes the so-called "Boris bikes" had rear racks!

Sorry to answer a question with questions. Thanks for posting here.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

Roger Geffen wrote:Media reports that CTC had "criticised" Boris for giving his wife a 'backie' sparked a certain amount of controversy. When the Press Association phoned up for our reaction to this silly-season political knock-about story, we described it as "naughty", whilst stressing that CTC doesn't defend illegal behaviour by any road user. Yet some media outlets still managed to make us sound incredibly po-faced.

What we hadn't expected though was the number of people who felt we should instead of defended Boris's backie! And of course, it is legal - and perfectly normal - to give backies in countries like the Netherlands.

To be honest, I doubt that many people would argue that legalising backies is a terribly high campaigning priority when there is so much else that needs doing to make cycling in Britain as safe and normal as it is in Denmark, the Netherlands, Germany, Sweden and even mountainous Switzerland. Still, it would be interesting to hear what others think of Boris's backie. Dangerous criminal or just a bit of a rogue - what does everyone reckon?

It is a non story will forgotten tomorrow.
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I know from experience that there's a difference between preparing a press release, when there's usually time to think, and responding to a press query where they need a reply almost immediately for a story being submitted to meet deadlines. I've had a while to think about this, of course, but it needs something which pins it all on the cunning buffoon himself. How about

"At least it stops him using his phone .........." ?
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

mjr wrote:.....
What's this "CTC doesn't defend illegal behaviour"? I thought CTC set up a fund that defends justifiable illegal behaviour like http://www.cyclistsdefencefund.org.uk/p ... st-dropped ....

Didn't that case involve the wrong signage on the contested section: ie in one direction was signed as shared use and the other separate use? Annoyingly I can;t fiind the appropriate link/pdf.
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
gaz

Post by gaz »

SA_SA_SA wrote:Annoyingly I can;t fiind the appropriate link/pdf.

Link to CTC article, the pdfs are a footnote.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
mjr

Post by mjr »

gaz wrote:
SA_SA_SA wrote:Annoyingly I can;t fiind the appropriate link/pdf.

Link to CTC article, the pdfs are a footnote.

Did I miss where they mention what the various orders say? What was the actual situation apart from the rubbish design and botched signs?

My understanding was that was a technically-illegal action which is awkward to avoid and not in the public interest to prosecute.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.