Pavement Cycling? Time for some sort of idenification?

Tasker

Post by Tasker »

Shocking moment toddler is knocked over by 'hit-and-run' cyclist and dragged 12ft along the pavement outside her home

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z3amfkrqym
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Apparently he was wearing a 'hi-viz' jacket though.....
landsurfer

Re: Pavement Cycling? Time for some sort of idenification?

Post by landsurfer »

Sorry ..I don't get the "high viz jacket" bit ....so what ..... hit and run on a child ...hopefully the same penalty as a car driver would get for a similar offence... the video of the offence is on the Telegraph front page, on-line edition.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Image it's a fairly clear picture.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

This was a pavement on a residential street. AFAIK they do not put mixed use paths in such places so this cyclist was simply being antisocial riding on the pavement. That is one of my pet hates about the minority of cyclists who do that. Round here it is often older females who do that rather than young men. I think that is down to them not being comfortable riding on the main road (a relatively quite A road north of lancaster).

In this case the worst thing in my book is not the accident caused solely by him riding where he really should not be riding but the way he did not stop. IMHO with any accident you stop to check for injuries from those involved and to see if any assistance is needed. That is true whether you are the cause of the accident or the victim of the accident. He rode off which is unforgivable considering a person got injured. I know others will disagree but I think it matters not the age of the person not stopping is bad whether the victim is in the prime of their life or at each end of it.

I wonder if there is anything other than riding on the pavement the guy could be done for? Can cyclists be done for hit and run?

As far as the hi-viz comment goes that was a misguided attempt at humour, just like if I said something about wearing a helmet (which he was not).
pwa

Post by pwa »

Is that a blue cycle path sign in the background?
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

I don't find an incident in which someoned gets a few scratches that shocking, but perhaps that's because I've heard of many instances where people have been killed or seriously injured by careless and criminal road users.

We have identification plates on motor vehicles because of the large amount of death, injury and destruction they are involved in. We don't have them on bikes because they aren't.
danhopgood

Post by danhopgood »

I think that could well be a shared use sign in the background. Path is certainly wider than other paths I've seen that are designated as shared use.

If so it would be a good example of why higher standards of provision are required. The visibility of the toddler to the cyclist and vice versa was virtually zero - making conflict inevitable at some stage.

Regardless, it doesn't justify the cyclist's reported actions and attitude.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Where has the picture of the cyclist come from?
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

I think it's here-

https://goo.gl/maps/70hSY

so the blue sign is for the paint on road cycle lane that starts further along, can't see anything for the pavement.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

This happened to me when I was a kid but I was stepping out of a shop and got hit by a butcher's bike. Not good. I'm sorry this happened and I'm glad the little girl us ok.

I ticked off a kid who almost mowed down my 5 yod on his BMX on a local pavement. The LBS owner commended me for being a 'traditionalist'. Sometimes a simple telling off is enough, but this kid is in trouble now for yelling at the mother and then running off like a coward.

Good luck to him in the future...b
pwa

Post by pwa »

Children cycling on pavements is okay by me when they are small, but this person looks to me to be adult. He should not have been on the path, and a child running out of her garden gate is a reasonably foreseeable event that he should have anticipated. So in the wrong on two counts, made worse by not apologising afterwards.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Tangled Metal wrote:...I wonder if there is anything other than riding on the pavement the guy could be done for? Can cyclists be done for hit and run?...

I don't propose to dig through the forum* for the details but a cyclist cannot be "done" for "hit and run", there is no legal requirement on a cyclist to stop at the scene. In my opinion that does not relieve them of their moral duty to do so.

Dangerous or reckless cycling may be other options, speculatively some form of assualt charge.

Discussion of a previous cycling "hit and run" here, outcome was more severe.

*RTA 1988 s170, offence of "leaving the scene" applies to the driver of a "mechanically propelled vehicle", a definition which excludes pedal cycles.
Last edited by gaz on 21 May 2015, 7:54pm, edited 1 time in total.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

+1 to all that. The most likely charges (other than pavement cycling) are dangerous or careless cycling. Those specific cycling offences under the RTA will be used in preference to the more obscure "wanton and furious driving" etc. offences.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Morals in UK society seem to be in the decline IMHO,it should cost the moron in this incident some serious time in community service and a serious pocket hurting fine to boot,he's a moronic sicko IMO.
If all people had moral fibre there would need to be a call for cycle ID plates,however with our society in the present situation there will be repeated calls for them :?
FWIW,in France it's the law to stop and seek/phone/offer for medical attention to road accident victims,there's a stiff penalty for not doing.But then that's a civilised country....
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
bikerwaser

Post by bikerwaser »

I try my utmost to be respectful of other people , no matter what mode of transport i use but my preferred mode is the bicycle so it really annoys me when i see cyclists behaving badly. It puts us in a bad light.
Mind you , if they mentioned all the collisions and scrapes and deaths caused by motorists the papers would be full.