£14.5 million to improve cycle parking at rail stations.

gaz

£14.5 million to improve cycle parking at rail stations.

Post by gaz »

Details of latest round of grants from the cycle rail fund here :D .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
mjr

Re: £14.5 million to improve cycle parking at rail stations.

Post by mjr »

It's all so random! What we need is some consistency of provision, so you know every station has a proportionate amount of parking and ones over a certain size have cycle hire nearby.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Rob Archer

Post by Rob Archer »

It does seem a bit haphazard. Having said that I'm quite chuffed that they're finaly going to do something at King's Lynn, Watlington and Downham Market after years of me making a nuisance of myself. My main fear is that it will be accompanied by more on-trsin restrictions.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Well done for making a nuisance of yourself.

I got wind of the proposals for a scheme at my own local station about six months ago. The funding bid also encompasses improvements to access routes and I hope to have some involvement in that area as things move forward.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

We've got a load of ace new bike parking at Warrington Central. Trouble is it's only on one platform and not the one I normally leave my bike!
PH

Post by PH »

mjr wrote:It's all so random! What we need is some consistency of provision, so you know every station has a proportionate amount of parking and ones over a certain size have cycle hire nearby.

You want it all and you want it NOW. Can't you maybe give a little credit that something is at last being done? It's a start, something to build on...
As for the need to know what the provision is, I'd have though that most people only leave their bikes at a very limited number of stations, one in my case. Shouldn't be to hard to find out all you need.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I am often critical of the CTC but this is some good work. I think many are discouraged from riding to/from the station by the prospect of finding their bike gone when they return. I agree it is not perfect, not enough, etc. but it is something so well done CTC.

I find much of what the CTC does have vague un-quantifiable aims that are nigh on impossible when it comes to quantifying success/failure of campaign money (i.e. you can never know if the campaign actually achieved something). But this is a real success. Because there will be specific facilities for cyclists built at specific locations. So a real success.

So whilst I am often critical I will also happily congratulate the CTC on successes as well.

Ian
mjr

Post by mjr »

PH wrote:
mjr wrote:It's all so random! What we need is some consistency of provision, so you know every station has a proportionate amount of parking and ones over a certain size have cycle hire nearby.

You want it all and you want it NOW. Can't you maybe give a little credit that something is at last being done? It's a start, something to build on...

Yes I am happy to give credit for it being forty years late and a rounding error-sized amount from the transport budget at the dog end of a government term being spent making a start.
As for the need to know what the provision is, I'd have though that most people only leave their bikes at a very limited number of stations, one in my case. Shouldn't be to hard to find out all you need.

Even as someone who prefers bikes and trains, I suggest it is easier in the sort term to get in my car and be reasonably confident that the billions of transport budget each and every years means there will be roads and parking places, rather than spend time finding out if stations I use will have no, awful or mediocre facilities.

CTC and others should say "thanks but realistic proportions of budgets are needed".
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Be thankful for the crumbs. Don't even think of asking for a slice of cake.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mark1978 wrote:Be thankful for the crumbs. Don't even think of asking for a slice of cake.

...for we are not worthy dear lord.......
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
PH

Post by PH »

Mark1978 wrote:Be thankful for the crumbs. Don't even think of asking for a slice of cake.

£14.5 million is hardly crumbs, dismissing it as such belittles the hard work people have put in to get that far, do you think they didn't ask for a bigger slice?. Make this work and there's a stronger case for next time, this is how change happens, one little victory at a time with hopefully not too many setbacks. We should be celebrating the victories and applauding those that make it happen.
PH

Post by PH »

mjr wrote:rather than spend time finding out if stations I use will have no, awful or mediocre facilities.

I choose not to have the option of a car, so for nearly all journeys that are not feasible by bike I use the train. I'm only going to join the train at local stations, two in my case. Maybe your usage is different to mine, but I'd be surprised if mine wasn't the usual scenario and finding out if one or two stations have adequate facilities (Something I'd only judge by looking at them myself) doesn't seem like a big deal.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

How often do you check for improvements?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

There are 96 spaces in the new cycle parking facility at Letchworth installed well over a year ago
it went from this (though there was covered parking behind the main building too
station Sheds.JPG

to this (with a third parking area too)
new cycle parking.JPG

The main problem in Letchworth is that aside from a couple of shared use lanes in the town centre there are zero cycle lanes and so called 'cycle corridors' are impassable, impractical and downright dangerous :evil:
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

kwackers wrote:We've got a load of ace new bike parking at Warrington Central. Trouble is it's only on one platform and not the one I normally leave my bike!

Well whichever platform you use, it is bound to be the wrong one at one end of your journey. I see the wheeling ramp has come in for a bit of stick in the local rag.