Crash tweeter sacked

TonyR

Crash tweeter sacked

Post by TonyR »

A man who tweeted that he had knocked over a cyclist but could not stop because he was "late for work" has been sacked from his job at a stockbrokers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-30700872
mrjemm

Re: Crash tweeter sacked

Post by mrjemm »

Read about this in the Guardian.

Not a pretty blonde, so getting more grief already than Emma Way, and so far it's not even sure he did actually hit someone.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Idiot is idiotic, seemingly...
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

And rightly so, bragging about crashing into a vulnerable road user and then driving off just shows you what kind of person this is and his mentality..I bet he drives like a [rude word removed] all the time.
That he's since come out and said oh I made it up, it was a 'joke' condemns him even more as a nasty piece of work..he got what was coming to him and well done to his employees for seeing him for what he truly is.. :twisted:
beardy

Post by beardy »

If he did make it up, then it was just a joke tweet and this is all an over reaction.
Whatever happened to a sense of humour.

It should have said "No cyclists were hurt in the making of this tweet" at the bottom but I think there is a character limit.

It seems there is greater upset at those who talk about something than those who actually do it.
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

beardy wrote:If he did make it up, then it was just a joke tweet and this is all an over reaction.

It should have said "No cyclists were hurt in the making of this tweet" at the bottom but I think there is a character limit.

It seems there is greater upset at those who talk about something than those who actually do it.

My sense of humour is pretty catholic, but wasn't called into play on this occasion!
TBH, I think he's been canned because he has revealed that he doesn't have the judgement to realise that something that might get a wry smile or groan from a close friend in private conversation makes you look like a complete **** when you trot it out before the whole world.

Especially in Bristol - City of Cycling?

Would you buy a used share from this man?
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

I like a bit of dark humour but I must have missed this one. Could somebody please guide me through the humour in the comment
Think I just hit a cyclist. But Im late for work so had to drive off lol
beardy

Post by beardy »

I always thought that pushing the boundaries is one of the major types of comedy.

The knack is staying just the right side of the line before it tips out of being funny, a lot of "classical comedy" was banned in its day.

There are plenty of jokes that dont do it for me either but I dont see a joke's failure to click as a reason to sack somebody.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

beardy wrote:I always thought that pushing the boundaries is one of the major types of comedy.

The knack is staying just the right side of the line before it tips out of being funny, a lot of "classical comedy" was banned in its day.

There are plenty of jokes that dont do it for me either but I dont see a joke's failure to click as a reason to sack somebody.

It depends on context... Satire and irony have their place

I remember Alexi Sayle joking that cycle paths were unnecessary as cyclists had the gap between the yellow lines

Controversial and unacceptable?
Not at all - as an experienced London cyclist he was simply satirising the unacceptable view of many London motorists

However in the case of this guy there is no satire or irony simply a malicious and sad post
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

beardy wrote:If he did make it up, then it was just a joke tweet and this is all an over reaction.

You completely & utterly miss the point :roll:
beardy

Post by beardy »

I can understand that something gets its humour or becomes demeaning because of who said it, rather than what was said.

I know nothing about the tweeter, so I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they are no more malicious than me (avoiding stereotyping all stockbrokers as scum).

I also fall into the band of tolerant pinko liberal veggie eco-warrior cyclist rather than militant pinko liberal veggie eco-warrior cyclist. Am I really too relaxed and easy going for this forum?
easyroller

Post by easyroller »

Maybe an over-reaction, maybe he was already major [rude word] at work and they wanted to get rid of him anyway.

Either way he tweeted something that he probably shouldn't have and faced the backlash... Moral is don't tweet something out to the entire internet that could get you into hot water (and especially not about cyclists, they get pretty fired up).
beardy

Post by beardy »

I get pretty fired up when they try and push me off the road or take me off my bike.

But not over a tweet, the least of my worries, unless he was driving at the time.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Perhaps it should be pointed out that the article also says:
Avon and Somerset Police earlier appealed for any victim to call them.

Maybe 'no harm done', but this idiot - and everyone else - ought to be reminded that wasting police time is a criminal offence.
I think he got his just desserts - just as Ms Way did.

Is there something about Tw*tter that brings out the worst in some people? I should explain that I don't tweet and never have done.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

661-Pete wrote:Perhaps it should be pointed out that the article also says:
Avon and Somerset Police earlier appealed for any victim to call them.

Maybe 'no harm done', but this idiot - and everyone else - ought to be reminded that wasting police time is a criminal offence.
I think he got his just desserts - just as Ms Way did.

Is there something about Tw*tter that brings out the worst in some people? I should explain that I don't tweet and never have done.

I don't think it's changed anything per se, it has just given the hard of thinking a different medium to use.