Police on to Contact from Cab "maybe a touch too close"

ydrol

Police on to Contact from Cab "maybe a touch too close"

Post by ydrol »

the police response to a cabbie bullying and making contact with a cyclist (*) shows attitudes that will hinder the uptake of cycling without a separate infrastructure...

http://youtu.be/8pj4Khg1sRw?t=17m21s

"Maybe he got a touch too close ?"

(*)Cyclists was TrafficDroid - and that may have contributed to the polices 'inaction'
Tonyf33

Re: Police on to Contact from Cab "maybe a touch too close"

Post by Tonyf33 »

I've had similar..police attended after driver tried to drive away from scene after they'd gone into back of me albeit not that hard(it bent my mudguard). I blocked him from driving away. he then deliberately drove into me . luckily id positioned my bike between us so it was my crank that took the hit. I called the police and basically he did nothing. they are worse than uselessand propagate awful driving by not addressing it properly.
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

Could it be down to witnesses?

A couple of years ago I was assaulted by an aggressive motorist and the police were very helpful because there was a witness who backed up my account.

Many years ago I seriously injured a man when he stepped out into the road without looking, wrecking my bike and causing me weeks of aches and pains. Again, the police were helpful because there were witnesses to say it wasn't my fault. They took statements which were useful to me in getting my bike replaced by the injured man.
Thermostat9

Post by Thermostat9 »

I reported a woman who swerved at me in a cycle lane by calling 101. I gave the number of the car and as soon as I had done that the complaint was escalated and I was asked to go to the police station to sign a statement form.

The Sargent on the desk told me that the driver was being brought in already - apparently I was not the first person to make a complaint about her driving - they asked if I wanted to press charges, I said they should do what they thought fit.

I didn't hear from them again, so I guess they thought that arresting a mother at home at tea-time and bringing her in was enough for her to get the message. I'm happy with that sort of policing.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Thermostat9 wrote:I reported a woman who swerved at me in a cycle lane by calling 101. I gave the number of the car and as soon as I had done that the complaint was escalated and I was asked to go to the police station to sign a statement form.

The Sargent on the desk told me that the driver was being brought in already - apparently I was not the first person to make a complaint about her driving - they asked if I wanted to press charges, I said they should do what they thought fit.

I didn't hear from them again, so I guess they thought that arresting a mother at home at tea-time and bringing her in was enough for her to get the message. I'm happy with that sort of policing.

That shows that it is important to report things, even if you don't expect the police to be able to do anything- if they then get subsequent reports that confirm there may be an issue with someone's driving, it might make it possible for them to act.
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

This sort of thing does seem like a good compromise, if there is no way of escalating it. I remember, years ago a few of us were out and a couple of lads swerved towards us as they approached, thought it was funny. Got number and called local police, very helpful, said no problem, they would send a couple of their 'big lads' round to 'have a chat' . Made us feel much better
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
IanW

Post by IanW »

I once witnessed a pair of "high performance" cars racing through Manchester airport runway tunnels and nearly crash with a number of 3rd parties.
I telephoned the police to report it and was asked to pop into a local police station to give a statement.
I went to my local station who were absolutely not interested in taking anything from me.
A week later I received a phone call from the police at Manchester airport asking why I had not been in to give a statement. I explained
They asked if I would go into Manchester airport police station.
Scary place. Officer arrives to meet me carrying a submachine gun (which he puts away when I explain why I am there.
The reason for their interest is that one of these two cars had been involved in this sort of thing [racing through the tunnels] on a number of occasions but they had not yet got enough evidence for a prosecution.
And then they did ;-)
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

IanW wrote:I once witnessed a pair of "high performance" cars racing through Manchester airport runway tunnels and nearly crash with a number of 3rd parties.
I telephoned the police to report it and was asked to pop into a local police station to give a statement.
I went to my local station who were absolutely not interested in taking anything from me.
A week later I received a phone call from the police at Manchester airport asking why I had not been in to give a statement. I explained
They asked if I would go into Manchester airport police station.
Scary place. Officer arrives to meet me carrying a submachine gun (which he puts away when I explain why I am there.
The reason for their interest is that one of these two cars had been involved in this sort of thing [racing through the tunnels] on a number of occasions but they had not yet got enough evidence for a prosecution.
And then they did ;-)

IIRC that's where young Mr Ronaldo stuffed his Ferrari isn't it?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rance.html
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I know it is not normal practice to "cross post" from other forums, but occasionally it can be justified

This is a thread from "Cycle Chat"

One of the members is a Police Officer and provided a statement template that means your chances of having it taken up are increased