More sensible than most journalism:

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... -city-life

Nick
No pasaran
Mark1978

Re: Good Guardian story on Cycling in cities

Post by Mark1978 »

"Has cycling finally become a natural part of British city life?"

Perhaps in Central London. But else where no.
David Cox

Post by David Cox »

Thanks for highlighting this a good positive but realistic assessment and it made me feel good while recovering from this morning's ride!
ArMoRothair

Post by ArMoRothair »

Good article indeed.

Even more gratifying is to see the comments (so far) are devoid of 'road tax' and RLJ'ing rants.
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

I enjoyed reading this article too - a bit London and Bristol-centric - but then both are good examples for the UK. I was gobsmacked recently by how many cyclists there are at rush hour in London, and Bristol is hilly - if cycling can be increased there, it can be done anywhere.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
ArMoRothair

Post by ArMoRothair »

Slowroad wrote: I was gobsmacked recently by how many cyclists there are at rush hour in London.

There's been a massive increase in London cycling recently, particularly commuters. On some roads, such as Theobalds Road, over 60% of their rush-hour traffic are bicycles. Yet there is still no provision.
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

Only if you don't count the road itself as provision.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Mark1978 wrote:"Has cycling finally become a natural part of British city life?"

Perhaps in Central London. But else where no.

It is in Cambridge with cycling at Dutch levels - about 30% of journeys by bike and that's not including students.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

And what factors have brought that about in Cambridge?
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Mark1978 wrote:And what factors have brought that about in Cambridge?

Flaaaaat.

Or even 'critical mass' (note small 'c'); with more and more cyclists being present and seen, those typically unlikely (in any other city in UK) could have begun to realise that going against the tide was more likely in cars than bikes. That the population's intelligence is probably skewed towards more than average, and I understand it to be traditionally quite a left wing place, probably has helped too.

But more likely cos it's flat.

And students want cheap transport, transport that international students can easily get and use without the hassle of bureaucracy, of which there are many (Intl students) in Cambridge. Also, the colleges are not in campus' as such, but scattered about the town may play a part. I focus on students/academia as they are a large part of the pop, and will be prominent in the centre, where others will encounter them, and their transport, which would likely rub off- see my comment above on critical mass (again, not the antagonistic jolly day out that usually gets referred to as such).
ArMoRothair

Post by ArMoRothair »

Pete Owens wrote:Only if you don't count the road itself as provision.

I don't.

The roads are obviously designed and intended for motor vehicles, bikes are only allowed on them in sufferance and at their own risk. For example I cycled out of town the other day and the phasing of the lights stopped me (I stop at lights) at every single set of lights up Charing Cross Road, up Tottenham Court Road and up Hampstead Road - 14 in total, that's an awful lot of stopping on a very short journey. On my motorbike I can give it a bit of a twist on the wrist and I can ride a "green wave" through the same lights - it's all aimed at motors.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

ArMoRothair wrote:The roads are obviously designed and intended for motor vehicles, bikes are only allowed on them in sufferance and at their own risk.

Cough :roll: Agree that many in built up areas have been adapted to 'ease' motorised travel, though, at great loss to the majority of the population.
"42"
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Whilst roads weren't originally built for cars those built for at least the last 60 years were built for cars. Which is the main problem we now have.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Mark1978 wrote:And what factors have brought that about in Cambridge?

My guesses would be a history of cycling, narrow streets, a compact city, limited parking, a large student population that is banned from having a car within ten miles of the city (so although they are not in the percentage share figures, there are a large number making cycling seem normal and many stay after graduation to work locally so carry on cycling). The one thing that isn't a factor is infrastructure. Apart from lots of cycle parking provision, there isn't much road infrastructure and what there is is pretty poor.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

From the article linked in the OP:-
Britain as a depressingly aggressive place where, when drivers see a group of cyclists, "they just put their hands on the horn".

And it's not just groups of cyclists,after yet another ''punishment pass'' by yet another 4x4 yesterday, I found myself(yet again) contemplating unreasonable revenge,before coming to my senses and considering a more reasonable one.
My crime? the driver couldn't pass due to five oncoming cars preventing his progress :? a wait of approximately 5 seconds.
It's that lack of consideration for anyone but self that depresses me the most,the willingness to risk someone else's well being to save that kind time is crass in the extreme,which if it was an occasional occurrence I could live with but it's every,yes every,time I ride there is some lunatic trying to bully me simply because I'm riding a bicycle.
It simply doesn't make sense,but then irrational unchecked behaviour seldom does.
If I thought reporting such dangerous driving to the police would be taken seriously enough to warrant even a word in the ear of such drivers I'd make the call,but the fact that it won't only adds to the frustration and depression.
Add to that,p*** poor and even dangerous cycling provision and the UK approaches a third world society where cycling is concerned.
I cannot imagine any other society denying and ignoring such a popular health related activity that cuts pollution at a strok and where everything related to such an activity is a plus.
The overwhelming popularity of cycling in recent years and increasing year on year and which can only be described as an explosion in most cities,one has to ask what kind of ''critical mass'' does it take before politrickians,policeforces and the judicial system see it's overall benefit to society and seek protect cyclists from such bad driving behaviour?
Sadly the opposite seems to be the case IME and the platitudes,aforementioned p** poor cycling infrastructure and,it has to be said,limpwristed approach of the CTC,BC,etc shown toward their members interests only makes things worse.
I ask myself,is it time for a completely different and more direct approach by the cycling fraternity toward this huge problem?
I also ask myself,given that kind of backdrop,how many people are reluctant to cycle because of such attitudes toward cycling and how much more popular could it be if taken seriously by those in power?
Rant over.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden