Police reaction to cyclist deaths is...

meic

Re: Police reaction to cyclist deaths is...

Post by meic »

I love the way the girls are wearing their helmets. The Police Officer could have changed tact and offered some advice on how to wear helmets correctly but I think that the people being paid to hand out safety advice havent got a clue what they are talking about.
Yma o Hyd
ArMoRothair

Post by ArMoRothair »

I happen to know this chap and he has had some awful abuse from van drivers shouting at him for 'putting his kids in danger' - it seems now the police have taken up the same batten.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

From the article,
Last Monday, the Met carried out spot-checks on cyclists and HGVs in Vauxhall.

In four hours, the officers stopped 70 lorries and issued 15 fixed penalty notices for offences such as the vehicles not being fit for the road.

They also stopped 100 cyclists, who were given safety advice.

I welcome 15 fixed penalty notices, but stopping someone taking his kids to school? Really? And the officer didn't even know if the bike was legal. :roll:

As if having a word with a few cyclists will stop the carnage... :cry: :cry:

If they want to look good, the money would be better spent on a PR firm. :evil:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mike_dowler

Post by mike_dowler »

Gotta love the balance in the quotes as well: cyclist says "not all cyclists are that bad", van driver says "cyclists are hooligans". Actual stats: loads of HGVs are driving illegally.
cjchambers

Post by cjchambers »

I'm genuinely surprised that a London copper can be unfamiliar with a Bakfiets. Plenty of them about, even out in the provinces.

Perhaps he is an 'indoor policeman'?
Thermostat9

Post by Thermostat9 »

I see the Daily Prole has the story yesterday as well, only in that it is a "rickety 'wheelbarrow bike'" :roll:

The comments are predictably hilarious.
Thermostat9

Post by Thermostat9 »

mike_dowler wrote: Actual stats: loads of HGVs are driving illegally.

20% of them apparently!

That is shocking.
Shootist

Post by Shootist »

OK, at a time when there's a rash of fatalities involving bikes, our hero sets out at what looks to be a very busy time on the roads, at one of many locations that are described as the most dangerous in London, with two children who are not wearing their helmets correctly and who have been placed in what does quite look like a wheelbarrow bolted to a bike. A classic case of "I have a perfect right to place my children in significant danger because I'm saving the planet." The man is, in my humble opinion, a dangerous cretin.

I have no doubt that someone here will happen along to say that there should be provision made for cyclists to be safer. I agree. But they bloody well haven't been, have they! The busy roads are dangerous still, and this lunatic takes his children into the middle of the danger.

Still, he says "I know my lights." He doesn't look Chinese. He says he's been taking his kids to school on that route for years. I don't mean to sound callous, but it's no comfort whatever to he holding the moral high ground at your child's funeral.
Pacifists cannot accept the statement "Those who 'abjure' violence can do so only because others are committing violence on their behalf.", despite it being "grossly obvious."
[George Orwell]
MartinC

Post by MartinC »

Shootist, the "significant danger" is your opinion. How many million miles are cycled in London and how does the casualty rate compare with other transport modes? The Boris Bikes are a good example.

The bike is a purpose built cargo bike. Their use in civilised countries to carry children is commonplace.

In my experience the easiest way to be noticed on a bike is to be unusual - he and his kids are probably far safer than every other London cyclist.
Shootist

Post by Shootist »

MartinC wrote:Shootist, the "significant danger" is your opinion. How many million miles are cycled in London and how does the casualty rate compare with other transport modes? The Boris Bikes are a good example.

The bike is a purpose built cargo bike. Their use in civilised countries to carry children is commonplace.

In my experience the easiest way to be noticed on a bike is to be unusual - he and his kids are probably far safer than every other London cyclist.

Sorry. I misunderstood. Clearly cyclists are quite safe in London and there is no need to upgrade or change any road layouts. That's a relief. For a moment I was worried.
Pacifists cannot accept the statement "Those who 'abjure' violence can do so only because others are committing violence on their behalf.", despite it being "grossly obvious."
[George Orwell]
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Shootist wrote:OK, at a time when there's a rash of fatalities involving bikes, our hero sets out at what looks to be a very busy time on the roads, at one of many locations that are described as the most dangerous in London, with two children who are not wearing their helmets correctly and who have been placed in what does quite look like a wheelbarrow bolted to a bike. A classic case of "I have a perfect right to place my children in significant danger because I'm saving the planet." The man is, in my humble opinion, a dangerous cretin.

I have no doubt that someone here will happen along to say that there should be provision made for cyclists to be safer. I agree. But they bloody well haven't been, have they! The busy roads are dangerous still, and this lunatic takes his children into the middle of the danger.

Still, he says "I know my lights." He doesn't look Chinese. He says he's been taking his kids to school on that route for years. I don't mean to sound callous, but it's no comfort whatever to he holding the moral high ground at your child's funeral.

Well, let's just wrap them up in cotton wool and never let them out of the house, then. Or perhaps you would advise him to walk to school and increase their exposure to risk, instead?

London's roads need more children in bakfiets and fewer in cars!
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
RickH

Post by RickH »

Shootist wrote:Sorry. I misunderstood. Clearly cyclists are quite safe in London and there is no need to upgrade or change any road layouts. That's a relief. For a moment I was worried.

Cyclists in London are quite safe - in the sense of being less safe than very safe - but there is definitely room for much improvement, especially if you are going to encourage the less confident out onto the roads. People live, work & go to school in the middle of London. A careful, yet assertive rider should generally be fine. As has already been said - it's probably safer than trying to get across on foot with small children.

As a side note: from the photos the guy wasn't actually ON Euston Rd but had probably just crossed it. By my reckoning, the police were on Woburn Place near its junction with Euston Rd ("Prezzo" in the background of the second photo is on that junction - just the other side of Euston Road from Euston station).

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
sirmy

Post by sirmy »

This was covered on The Daily Politics today.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03kkgmr/Daily_Politics_26_11_2013/ The part about cycling starts at about 33:10 but watch the reaction of the officers at around 34:15. Interesting :?
jezer

Post by jezer »

I've never cycled in London, being in rural North Wiltshire. Even here it can be pretty bad at times. I have ridden in Amsterdam, albeit in the 80's, and the culture even then was totally different to the UK. Surely in time we must accept that roads are not just for motorists, but for all road users? We still have a lot to learn in the UK.
Power to the pedals