Bristish Cycling E-petition

94inchandy

Bristish Cycling E-petition

Post by 94inchandy »

just to let everyone know Bristish Cycling have a E-petition with the government

e-petition
Road Safety - Driving Test and Highway Code

Responsible department: Department for Transport

Whilst the driving theory test has some optional cycling awareness questions, not everyone is tested with these and the practical driving test does not have any particular focus on cyclists. If drivers are not trained to be aware of cyclists and how to drive around them they will retain the lack of awareness after they pass their test. British Cycling supports the motoring organisations which are calling for harder tests and the inclusion of cycle awareness in the test.

British Cycling's manifesto says: changes to the driving test to make cycle awareness a core part of driver training and testing with emphasis on how much space to give cyclists and how to safely overtake cyclists.

We need to make this happen and stop people being needlessly killed on the roads.

please have a look at this E-petition it may help new drivers to under stand our needs on the road

cut and paste this address http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/44059%20
hexhome

Re: Bristish Cycling E-petition

Post by hexhome »

Signed, a well written and pertinent petition with the backing of a national cycling organisation.
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

Also signed
Back when I was a driving instructor I used to teach cycle awareness, but I would wouldn't I
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Signed :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
gaz

Post by gaz »

+1.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Guy951

Post by Guy951 »

Signed it.

I think this is something the CTC should be working with BC on, if only to get awareness of this petition out to a much wider audience. I know BC is a "rival" organisation but driving instruction / test changes of this nature will be of benefit to all cyclists, in fact, all road users, and not just us slow-moving self-propelled nuisances, so the quicker it gets it's 10000 signatures the better for everybody.

I'm too worldly-wise* to expect the government to actually do anything about it, but there's no harm in trying.

*Cynical
What manner of creature's this, being but half a fish and half a monster
Geriatrix

Post by Geriatrix »

reohn2 wrote:Signed :)

+ another one.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled - Richard Feynman
meic

Post by meic »

hexhome wrote:Signed, a well written and pertinent petition with the backing of a national cycling organisation.

Also signed

but will it get many signatures hiding in a thread on the CTC forum. The backing of two national cycling organisations would be better. A petition like this will get the necessary numbers only if it is well publicised.
Is it worth us, as CTC members, to lean on the CTC to get it included in the weekly cycle-clips. Assuming that it isnt actually on the cycle-clip coming out today.
Yma o Hyd
Geriatrix

Post by Geriatrix »

meic wrote:Is it worth us, as CTC members, to lean on the CTC to get it included in the weekly cycle-clips. Assuming that it isnt actually on the cycle-clip coming out today.

I think its worthwhile. Do you know how to go about it?
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled - Richard Feynman
Si

Post by Si »

Geriatrix wrote:
meic wrote:Is it worth us, as CTC members, to lean on the CTC to get it included in the weekly cycle-clips. Assuming that it isnt actually on the cycle-clip coming out today.

I think its worthwhile. Do you know how to go about it?

email publicity@ctc.org.uk for stuff regarding cycleclips
Geriatrix

Post by Geriatrix »

Done.
meic

Post by meic »

Me too.
Yma o Hyd
hexhome

Post by hexhome »

Nearly 3500 signatures already. This could be a contender!
Simon_Winns

Post by Simon_Winns »

Signed. 5981 signatures now...
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

signed enthusiastically.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.