Do NOT ride at night - health warning

Cunobelin

Do NOT ride at night - health warning

Post by Cunobelin »

Out today and parked next to a rather nice fixed machine, Giving it a quick once over I was amazed at the "Safety Sticker"

"Bicycling can be hazardous
Always wear a safety helmet
Do not ride at night"

Amazing!

So we now "have to" wear a helmet, and cannot go out when it is dark!

Is this really advice from a cycle manufacturer, and I wonder what evidence they base it upon?
larfingravy

Re: Do NOT ride at night - health warning

Post by larfingravy »

LMFAO all black bike?
Fatou

Post by Fatou »

Bike Snob was showing a similar sticker on a Walmart Fixie made by Mongoose. Perhaps it's the same bike, Mongoose Cachet...

http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2010/04/bsnyc-product-review-walmarts-mongoose.html
As good as Lance.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

'twas a Mongoose Maurice

reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

You know when you've been Tango'd ! :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

Cunobelin wrote:a rather nice fixed machine
Cunobelin wrote:'twas a Mongoose Maurice

am i missing something or turning into a BOF ? :oops:
drsquirrel

Post by drsquirrel »

No reflectors at sale...
And possibly if it included pedals...?
downfader

Post by downfader »

The company that makes the thing has a vested interest. They sell helmets. Need I say more. :wink: With regards night riding, perhaps they shouldnt open Wallmarts after dark, their staff may get robbed on the way home? :lol:
rbrian

Post by rbrian »

It's all about liability. Warning! This packet of nuts may contain nuts. Caution! This cup of coffee may be hot. Danger! Our lawyers are more expensive than yours.
Cynic? No, an optimist tempered by experience.
horizon

Post by horizon »

I think they are right. Cycle paths are wonderful (perhaps) during the day but in the late evening can turn into frightening places. This is a fundamental problem with any cycle paths routed along urban canals etc - they are lonely places after dark. I haven't seen any convincing proposals for dealing with this but I am open to correction/other views.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
EdinburghFixed

Post by EdinburghFixed »

When SWMBO was commuting from Edinburgh to South Queensferry, she voluntarily chose to ride in on the dual carriageway once it got dark, rather than take the much-vaunted NCN1 railway line. I had never really worried about it until then!
goatwarden

Post by goatwarden »

On the odd occasions I ride late at night along our local, slightly notorious, cycle path I ride (carefully) unlit. I am big and quite belligerant and would love to catch the little scrote with a baseball bat; however on a bike you are quite vulnerable so said scrote and there is no point illuminating the target for him. When he and his mates start wearing head torches, I will switch my lights on!
drsquirrel

Post by drsquirrel »

goatwarden wrote:On the odd occasions I ride late at night along our local, slightly notorious, cycle path I ride (carefully) unlit. I am big and quite belligerant and would love to catch the little scrote with a baseball bat; however on a bike you are quite vulnerable so said scrote and there is no point illuminating the target for him. When he and his mates start wearing head torches, I will switch my lights on!

Haha stealth...

I do kind of wonder what lurkies could be lurking down some really dark and remote lanes, but I have it enough in my mind that there is going to be no one here, let alone anyone waiting to try and take me down. I could imagine in a leafy suburb though where kids might hang out, the surprise is probably the worse. Otherwise heading directly for them and/or blasting them with an airzound hopefully is unexpected enough to make someone stutter.

Or you could just cycle along talking to yourself like a crazy person... they might just leave you alone ;)
goatwarden

Post by goatwarden »

[quote="drsquirrelOr you could just cycle along talking to yourself like a crazy person... they might just leave you alone ;)[/quote]

ah! So that's why I haven't met him yet.
anothereye

Post by anothereye »

If you have good lights you are more visible at night than in the daytime.