Transport for London's 'Share the Road' Campaign

Velo Vigilanty

Transport for London's 'Share the Road' Campaign

Post by Velo Vigilanty »

Copy of Email sent to Transport for London
'SHARE THE ROAD' Campaign.
From the BBC London's coverage it seems that the media will focus on minor infringements by a few cyclists, rather give a balanced view of your campaign. This is unfortunate because I know of no instance where a cyclist has killed a motorist yet the widespread disregard of the law by motorists has been responsible for the death of many cyclists. It is proven that - speed kills - yet the majority of motorists perpetually break the law by exceeding the speed limit. So in pursuing your campaign please ensure a balanced view is given by the media, so that reports are viewed in perspective.
I hope that your campaign is really endeavoring to ensure that cyclists get their fair share of the road and exist in harmony with motorists. Not giving fuel to the motorists common misconception that cyclists have no place on the road (perhaps this could explain why a few are sometimes forced to take the footpath!!). .
geta4x4

Re:Transport for London's 'Share the Road' Campaign

Post by geta4x4 »

perhaps its time to give cyclists the same pavement rights as these electric buggies.
a 2 foot strip along the gutter in a busy road is not always safe
gar

Post by gar »

I have got a disabled trike which has full rights on the road AND full rights on the pavement.

As soon as people see me, they know that I DO have that right.

The only problem is that I can't walk very well!

Even able bodied people using this vehicle would be able to make the same use of pavements.... provided they do not PEDAL, but use HANDALS.

It must be obvious that if you are doing something which amounts to walking on your hands, in the same way as a cyclist is walking on his legs, then you have a right to use the pavement freely.

The concept of Handal cranking is so revolutionary that nobody can cope with it, and accepts whatever I do as proper.

I can do 24mph on the road and 1mph on the pavement. no problem. People are always polite to me on the pavement and nearly everyody gets out of my way and apologises. I always have to set aside their apologies, as they do have a right to use the pavement, the same as I do, on a handal cranked trike.
Dave Williams

Post by Dave Williams »

4x4, cyclists should always be on the road. We don't want to campaign to allow us to use the pavement, our place is on the road where it should be. We should be demanding safer roads, not unsafe alternatives.
Dave
keepontriking

Post by keepontriking »

perhaps its time to give cyclists the same pavement rights as these electric buggies.
a 2 foot strip along the gutter in a busy road is not always safe

Definitely not.
The rightful, and safest place for cyclists, is on the road.
You are correct though, in that the gutter of a busy (or any) road is often not the safest place to be. By positioning yourself in the gutter, you leave no room for manoeuvre, have to contend with road debris, potholes , drain covers and so on, and put yourself out of the direct line of sight of other road users. Keeping to the edge can actively encourage close overtaking, putting you at greater risk. You should aim to ride further out and use the primary road position if possible.
Cyclecraft by John Franklin covers this in detail and IMO is an essential read for all cyclists.

Promoting pavement use is just one further step towards removing cyclists from the roads completely.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

keepontreking

You are correct with one exception: do not ry this in the West Mercia Police area where it runs out at £300 a go. Mick Agar