YHA closures

Andy Tallis

Re:YHA closures

Post by Andy Tallis »

I'm fed up with YHA right now. I tried Yesterday to book St Briavels for 24th and 25th Feb for the Chepstow Gospel pass 150 9I'm riding there and back from Bangor hopefully) and they are full. Welsh Bicknor is also full and Chepstow and Monmouth have closed down recently so the nearest others are 45m away. If they are struggling so badly why can I never get a place? I wonder if the reason they can make these closures is that many people arrive by car so just need a hostel in vaguely the right place and they're OK. Those of us who try to pedal large distances each day are far more vulnerable to these closures.

How I long for the day when you weren't allowed to bring a car to a hostel! If only I could have been alive to experience it.

Andy :-)
gar

Post by gar »

I have never found YH helpful for long distance journeys. If I were doing a tour of YHA as Helen does then that would be fine (and very economical).

Abroad, I combine other hostel orgs and B+B and sometimes tent, if I get caught short.

In England and Wales I sometimes say that I will go check such and such a YH to "see what it is like". I may do that for the new Portland hostel
which is about 25 miles on my hand crank/25 back the next day.

That is a fair ride for a 60 year old.

One hour's exercice a day is not enough to feel really, really good at the end of it!
jb

Post by jb »

You & Yours Radio 4
Interviewing cyclist Walker & YHA rep.
this dinner time.
Penny

Post by Penny »

In terms of my earlier suggestion of unofficial websites on closing hostels - there are now two websites on the hostel closures (and another one is planned).

Dave Plummer's website is at: http://www.daveplummer.co.uk/hostels/closures/index.htm

And I've just started putting together my own website, and would welcome photos of the hostels or walks or cycles nearby.
My "embryonic" website is at http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/pennyswebs/hostelclosures/

I know it may be somewhat of a forlorn hope to expect the YHA to change its mind, but perhaps publicising the hostels in this way may make it more likely that they will be sold for use as independent hostels?

Maybe the future of hostelling is with the independent sector if the YHA really have turned their backs on walkers and cyclists ?

I did receive an interesting suggestion from a poster on another forum. Can hostels be 'saved' using similar tactic to one that CAMRA uses to save pubs?

That is to ensure that planning permission is only allowed for a change of use to residential once the unviability as a youth hostel has been proven. I think the idea is that people put in objections if there are applications for planning permission for a change of use.

The argument can be put forward that a youth hostel is a local amenity and as such should be retained - brings in business, promotes tourism and so
on.

Worth a try?
Pedalling Pete

Post by Pedalling Pete »

This latter suggestion worked for Thurlby. This was saved when the County Council (Lincolnshire) and District Council (South Kesteven) agreed, after some buck passing as to their liabilities, to contribute to restoration costs.

I suspect the YHA would have got a good price from developers to knock down hostel to access building land beyond hostel, but this factor helped gain support from anti-development locals.

So why didn't the YHA sell the hostel to the developers? Could it have been the manner in which the building was gifted to the YHA originally? I mention this to show that outside help won't necessarily stop the headlong rush of the YHA to sell off the life members' family silver.
CJ

Post by CJ »

In case it interests anyone here's how I responded YHA's glad news of "Network Renewal". I got a reply that still prattled on about young people and families so I doubt they even read it:

"Network Renewal indeed, what a preposterous example of spin!

In his justification for the closures that are to pay for this so-called renewal, Roger Clarke says: "We are targeting families with children, schools and youth organisations, and young people travelling independently for the first time." But apparently not if they're travelling by bike.

The hostels that are to close permanently will open up even bigger gaps in YHA so-called network. These gaps already cause untold problems for anyone unable to ride the distance from one tourist honeypot to the next place where a youth hostel may still be found. Families and young people new to cycling, i.e. "travelling independently for the first time", are exactly those people.

Our family Land-End to John O'Groats tour in 2000 would not have been possible without the stepping stones provided by two of those closure list hostels. From Bellingham onward to Melrose was already the longest day of that trip. Our Devon tour the year before needed even shorter days (my daughter was only 9 and touring on her own bike for the first time) via two of those future missing-links. Blackboys was our regular first or last day stop on excursions from home. It was, in fact, visited by our son and three of his mates the first time they travelled independently, on a four-day cycle tour to the pointy end of Kent and back. That first "road-trip" cemented their bonds of friendship and was the foundation of the most successful and experience-packed inter-rail holiday I've ever heard of.

Far from preparing YHA for the next ten years I think this strategy is totally 1990s – an accountant's backward-looking assumption that the future will be like the present only more so. The future never is like that – or not for very long. There are many indications that we are presently approaching one of history's turning points. The days of cheap energy are over. If we are lucky there will not be an economic recession before the end of this decade, but the ever-rising price of oil etc. is nevertheless bound to impact severely upon the way we live, work and play. Non-essential travel will decline. Rather than simply driving 200 miles to somewhere obviously spectacular (but packed with others who've done the same), people will begin to take more interest in places nearer to home, places they can easily reach by public transport, or – dare I say it – by bike. A need will re-emerge for a geographically comprehensive network of low-cost accommodation and it would be a great shame, not to mention a wasted opportunity, if YHA in the meantime loses the plot."
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

CJ
I have to agree with what you say, especially the last paragraph.

But isn't there another organisation much closer to us that is suffering from poor management and also showing signs of losing the plot?
gar

Post by gar »

Ha! Ha!Ha!

Good one.
Helen

Post by Helen »

Braz - your posts cracked me up. Cheers!

Gar - visiting Portland YH is a good idea. Non-android Wardens are as rare as rocking horse s**t these days, but Bonnie at Portland is a gem. Last I heard, she's re-introduced CHORES!!!
Other top Wardens: Martin at Epping Forest (he used to be at Skiddaw House); Bob at Mankinholes; Janet and Bob (cyclists) at Edmundbyers; Brian (cyclist) currently at Kemsing, I think; and Colin who's currently at Thurlby I think.
braz

Post by braz »

Helen - thank you for your kind words - I aim to please.

You must have found Bonnie sober for a change when you went to Portland - and not in floods of tears when the going gets tough - nice hostel though, with good facilities.

I still await a response from the YHA regarding my recent mail to them about prospectively purchasing a hostel (not too far from where you Helen delivered what you thought was an 'uplift' - more of a 'stick out', I'd have thought - but nice to know that you were thinking of me) and in all truth do not expect a reply from them. Come on, YHA - some of us have years of business experience and could help you turn things around!

Some of you may also have noticed that I was called a Gigolo by a certain poster recently - who ought to remain anonymous - oh, OK then, it was Gar - can we please keep personal comments out of these message boards from now on - it's not what they are here for.

And anyway - I thought a Gigolo was an Italian tandem.......

regards to all, Braz
gar

Post by gar »

Gigolo an Italian tandem!
In her dreams Helen!

Chores! where? Portland..... my first port of call!
Amazing! Whey!
gar

Post by gar »

I was called a Gigolo by a certain poster recently - who ought to remain anonymous - oh, OK then, it was Gar - can we please keep personal comments out of these message boards from now on - it's not what they are here for.

Certainly not me Braz... or on this board. It is a very chatty board, just like a crowd of cyclists out on the road.

Personal comments must be in the pejorative above... which obviously nobody likes and should be deprecated.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Doesn't it make you weep, CJ is right about concentrating all the hostels in the honeypots. I tried to get a thread going about this on the C+ board last year, but no-one there seemed to give a toss. For what it's worth, this is what someone in the YHA told me last summer:

For donkeys years the YHA has been going cap in hand for a sub to the tourist board. A couple of years ago however, they said enough's enough, and told them they'd get no more money unless they brought in some accountants to show them how to run the outfit properly. The first thing the accountants did, was to tell them to stop subsidising the loss makers from the honeypots. Hence all the closures.

If we want to make a difference, it might be more effective bending the ear of the ETB (or the Govt.). Ministers keep spouting about supporting environmentally friendly transport, but then they undermine an organisation that was doing it's bit for just that.
The comment about difficulty's buying hostels due for closure was interesting, presumably they don't want scruffy old hostels tarnishing their new "hotel" image.
DangerousDave

Post by DangerousDave »

Hi - I have just come back from Bangor YHA and been scratching around for a forum on YHA management. They really are rubbish clueless incompetants! Way back in 1980's I was desperately trying to hire entire youth hostels for my university walking club in the winter - I put in full accounts of of our weeknds and half terms - I clearly showed how they could hire a youth hostel over the new year and clear £1000 off the bottom line (thats £1000 in the 1980's). All I got was some retired brigadier in the the lake district telling me how awkward it was! God I tried for over two years - just hitting a brick wall. Then about five years later rent a hostel appears - so I would say the YHA runs about 8 to 10 years behind anyone with half a brain. Braz is the man here - get the initiative back in the local hostels - use fanchise - local knowledge. On the YHA web site the local wardens need to add some local input. Instead of short term wardens who are young and just killing time for a few years - foster some wardens who can run with the hostel and promote it for their own good. Franchise food, the bar, cycle hire - allow them to build up the hostel.
I am now in the family situation - with a car! I booked a family room four beds... I am a life member - wife is not a member - I pay four beds 3 as members - one as non member (+£6)! then for my four bedded room I am paying for single occupancy on top - well over £100. So it is so tempting to come on Saturday morning early and stay in a lovely B&B Saturday rather than having the full weekend experience.
Is a family room booking a single booking needing one member of the Family? Why am I paying for single ocupancy of a four bed room for four people? In the 1980's the warden would do this for free. I know they are trying to get as much out of us as possible - they are in a bad way after the foot and mouth - but they are so so close to the edge.
In the 1980's I asked the YHA to look at the Austrian hut system - you can pay for a room - a place in a small shared dorm - or on the alpine sleeping shelf. You keep everyone happy from the cheap hostellers to the ones requiring more comfort. Plus franchised food - eat your own or mix with some bought stuff. I will wait another 20 years for that one to sink in!
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

So is Dover coming or going? The website puts it on the hitlist for closure, and this morning's Triangle is listing it for refurbishment!!