YHA closures

trikster

Re:YHA closures

Post by trikster »

several of our members who used hostels on a regular basis are now giving up their membership. Some of us have disabilities and although mobile we found it difficult to climb up on a top bunk. i decided to write to the yha and explain our problem. whilst the letter i recieved in reply stated that we should ask for a bottom bunk, everytime we did this we were told they couldn't guarentee one but if we came early we may be lucky. most of our group have been yha members for over 20 years but are now finding it to much hassle and will not be renewing our membership. From now on we will use b&b's or selfcatering cottages. With this attitude the yha will soon be losing a lot of its older, long term members. by the way i'm not a doddering old biddy! i can cycle miles but walking far and climbing bunks at a hostel are definitely out for me.
Karen Sutton

Post by Karen Sutton »

When I see places like this I don't want to use YHA hostels. This is an independent hostel I must get to.

www.berrowhouse.co.uk
gar

Post by gar »

i can cycle miles but walking far and climbing bunks at a hostel are definitely out for me

That is an interesting reflection on the value of a bike for exercice as you get older.

As for me, I can cycle miles but cannot walk at all... climbing bunks I would enjoy.

Whereas you have no disabiltiy claim upon the Hostel.... I do!! (DD act 2005)
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Karen.

When you do pay them a visit don't forget to call and see us. We are only just down the road.
Jim Crosskell

Post by Jim Crosskell »

Just spent a great weekend at Lee Valley YHA hostel. Lots of youngsters and oldies fighting for their breakfast..great stuff. The Lee Valley park surrounding the hostel was awash with folks on YHA hire bikes, so that's a good point. For the traditionalist the management had to get a drain company in on bank holiday Monday, so that unique hostel smell was also present! I know it's a serious matter, but come on folks there are still good times to be had with the YHA.
gar

Post by gar »

YHA does not provide for "oldies".
Patricia

Post by Patricia »

New website for gathering info & news of action about the closures. whyha.org.uk
If you have valued the hostels PLEASE take every action possible - love of the countryside requires having places to stay when we walk/cycle....
Jim Murphy

Post by Jim Murphy »

I've just registered and am pleased to see some opposition to the YHA 'renewal' strategy. I work for the YHA and if you don't like what they are doing, just wait, you ain't seen nothin yet !!
By next March all hostels will be B&B. You will be charged for a breakfast whether you want one or not. Some hostels are introducing this before March. There will also be no cooked breakfast but a continental breakfast only and remember you will pay for this whether you want it or not. YHA do NOT want any one self catering.
If, like me, you think this is wrong then please complain, complain and complain to the YHA before they do it.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Reading about the closure of hostels - many of which are places where I have stayed - makes me very sad, but it is nostalgia. I was a very keen hosteller between the ages of 13 and 20 in the late 50's early 60's but I got married and never went back. Many others must have done the same. Since these are youth hostels that ought not to be a problem, but with the change in traffic conditions and all the fears connected with child protection, I suspect that today's teenagers no longer have that freedom to disappear up the road for a couple of weeks. Even as a teenager I could not really understand the economic viability of the YHA. With the huge rises in property values it must now be a very asset-rich organisation but cash-flow must be an endless problem. I did read a suggestion that a lot of ££ had been lost through the Adventure shops.

Anyone who paid for life membership must now be feeling utterly betrayed.

On the bright side, if CJ is correct, (and having read his LEJOG account , I salute him and his family) then fuel shortages will eventually lead to motoring being once more restricted to the wealthy and there will be an increased demand for accommodation for walkers and cyclists. The consequent collapse of rural property prices will allow the reestablishment of a viable YH network. It might not be one to hold your breath for if you are over 40. Mick Agar
Tim

Post by Tim »

I hope CJ's optimism is deserved, and we are near a turning point. Otherwise we'll have done our children a diservice by having them. Life - but not much human life - may survive a real meltdown (7 degrees this century; complete disruption to climates, and thus the surviving forests; death of the oceans through acidification with CO2) but there's no real indication to me that the powers-that-be want us to realise that we have to change our lifestyles. Not just tinker with emissions. And not accumulate radioactive waste to ponder on for thousands of years (just to stay in Downing street for a few more years...)

Ironic that we've only been encouraged to waste things on this scale for a couple of decades!

So I hope the YHA doesn't collapse just too soon.
gar

Post by gar »

radioactive waste

The Montana electric bike dealer builder I am in touch with does a solar panelled electric Pedi trike, which acts as a sun roof too!

Just right for the whole of a hot summer on Blackpool or Bournemouth promenade!!

no nuclear waste!!!
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

I don't think that the policy on hostel closures will change without getting rid of the current management. The popular view of the YHA is one of scruffy hostels frequented by eccentrics, and their policy is to do away with both.
gar

Post by gar »

The popular view of the YHA is one of scruffy hostels frequented by eccen---"nits and crabs... wouldn't go near one" as many young people say.
Shackleton said

"Would the CTC like to take over some hostels"----where there is high cyclist useage?

There's an offer... instead of carping. Why not just rent them out to keen independents, who might even be CTC members?
Jim Crosskell

Post by Jim Crosskell »

Just spent a great weekend in mid~south Wales, staying over at Kington YHA. No breakfast or catering provided, but a good self catering kitchen. Superb recommendations by the warden for the microbrewery up the road and from there to the unlicenced Indian restuarant ten minutes walk away. I accept there are big changes happening to the YHA, but there are still good hostels and wardens left.
slowcyclist

Post by slowcyclist »

Very upset at losing Elmscott. The area is quieter and more beautiful than Cornwall - yes really! Is anybody out there trying to save some of these genuine hostels?