So near and yet so far!

TonyR

So near and yet so far!

Post by TonyR »

Great news? Cambridge is about to open its new 3,000 bike parking at the station. Going Dutch? Well except the bike park is upstairs and you have to wheel your bike up ramps on stairs to get to it. Somehow I don't think they've quite understood this cycling lark. Next innovation? Replacing the ramps in multi-storey car parks with stairs? Such a shame with what could have been.

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Cambrid ... story.html

Last edited by TonyR on 12 Feb 2016, 12:47pm, edited 1 time in total.
[XAP]Bob

Re: So near and yet so far!

Post by [XAP]Bob »

At least they've put ramps there...

Hard hats essential in such an active building site...

Asked about the ramps to access the upper floors, Mr Meades said any cyclists with mobility issues would be able to park their bikes at ground level, where there would be plenty of room to store larger bikes, buggies and other bikes that would be too difficult to navigate up the ramp.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

I could live with ramps if they didn't have sudden changes of angle, ime of trying to use them that's what makes it a pita.
Si

Post by Si »

pah, it's Cambridge...a few hills'll do 'em good.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Oop North, such cycling facilities are custom designed to "help" us...

Here is one such near me. So safe, so convenient, so designed by a motorist.
Attachments
wilmwaters-steps.jpg
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Si wrote:pah, it's Cambridge...a few hills'll do 'em good.
They look fun. :D
Nice low gear for going up, and weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!! coming back down.
Almost worth a visit just for a laugh.
Mick F. Cornwall
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

TonyR wrote:Great news? Cambridge is about to open its new 3,000 bike parking at the station. Going Dutch? Well except the bike park is upstairs and you have to wheel your bike up ramps on stairs to get to it. Somehow I don't think they've quite understood this cycling lark. Next innovation? Replacing the ramps in multi-storey car parks with stairs? Such a shame with what could have been.

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Cambrid ... story.html

Where are the cyclist dismount signs?? Oh it's not complete yet! :mrgreen:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Tragic innit? :?
If they'd wanted to do it right someone could taken a jolly to NL had a quick look around and come back the right idea.It's all a bit somewhat Bedford Turbo :evil:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mjr

Post by mjr »

reohn2 wrote:Tragic innit? :?
If they'd wanted to do it right someone could taken a jolly to NL had a quick look around and come back the right idea.It's all a bit somewhat Bedford Turbo :evil:

Not really: no cyclist groups approve of that multi-storey cycle park folly, as far as I've seen, unlike Bedford Turbo.

And they wouldn't even need to take a jolly to NL: Cambridge station is operated by Abellio aka Dutch Railways. I don't remember if this farce is entirely their fault or if the developer of the former Rank Hovis site is involved... but they could still ask.

To top it off, the cycle park is further from the station entrance than the car park. It's all very surprising and quite disappointing that the councils even in Cambridge approve that sort of rubbish.

Despite all the needless anti-cyclist features, I'm sure it'll still get full and be praised as a huge success. It's Cambridge, after all. :(
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mick F wrote:
Si wrote:pah, it's Cambridge...a few hills'll do 'em good.
They look fun. :D
Nice low gear for going up, and weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!! coming back down.
Almost worth a visit just for a laugh.

From the looks of it, I'd bet that people will be trying to do that, especially at quieter times.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Rob Archer

Post by Rob Archer »

I suspect the real issue will be the huge numbers of cyclists arriving leaving within a short timescale, between about 7 and 8 am and 5 - 6 pm. As far as I can make out there's only one entrance / exit.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

TonyR

Post by TonyR »

A few of these would do better.

reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

TonyR wrote:A few of these would do better.

What! and stop all those extremely fit cyclists from running up the stairs with their bikes :mrgreen:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mjr

Post by mjr »

Interior video:
[youtube]HT9vJV6_-yw[/youtube]
https://youtu.be/HT9vJV6_-yw

And a correction to my earlier post: according to Cambridge Cycling Campaign on facebook, the cycle park is built on the corner of the old car park nearest the station, so it's not further away. At the moment OSM standard layer is correct but the cycle layer shows the old temporary cycle park location.