Just been to Amsterdam, what a difference!

james01

Just been to Amsterdam, what a difference!

Post by james01 »

We were sightseeing/walking/cycling, my first visit.
My impressions as a "utility" cyclist:
Huge number of bikes. Very deferential motorists, this took some getting used to.
Mostly cheap sit-up machines ridden surprisingly fast (could be because average Amsterdammer seems quite young and fit).
Hard to spot any obese people compared with typical UK town centre.
Operating a motor vehicle is tedious and expensive (I saw some of the parking charges) so most movements were by bike/foot/bus/tram, with lots of cargo bikes for tradesmen etc.
Fascinating variety of bike designs, lots of different ways of carrying a toddler/infant/sofa/big shopping order.
Helmets and reflectives? Don't be ridiculous.
Plenty of people walking & cycling late at night. One of the best tests of a civilised city is solo women of all ages being free to move around without anxiety.
Where busy cycle lanes intersected the locals seemed able confidently to synchronise crossing at full speed without collisions, incredible to watch, I suppose they've been cycling regularly almost since learning to walk.
Some criticisms:
Most bikes had built-in dynamo systems but as many as 80% of bikes were unlit - this was quite dangerous for pedestrians. We went on a city cycle tour and the tour leader admitted that most people including her didn't bother to switch them on - she reckoned that Amsterdammers were a bit anarchic about rules in general. There was also quite a lot of RLJing, but it was done so expertly it didn't seem to matter. The police seem to have given up on cyclists anyway!
Conclusion:
Great place to visit, and in most ways a perfect blueprint for the UK (dream on!).
Heltor Chasca

Re: Just been to Amsterdam, what a difference!

Post by Heltor Chasca »

[emoji106]Glad you enjoyed James. Den Haag was more my type of city. I surprised myself by enjoying a city actually as I'm definitely one for remoteness in preference...b
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

Nevertheless, is Amsterdam is relatively dodgy for cycling by Dutch standards. Go to other cities in the Netherlands for an even better experience.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

james01 wrote:Operating a motor vehicle is tedious and expensive

My first visit to NL we were in Amsterdam calling in on pals of my wife (who's Dutch). A wonderful quote over dinner one evening from our host, "you can drive through Amsterdam, but it would be your own fault".

TBH I feel much the same way about London, and even Edinburgh.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Oooh, you've made me want to get back there RIGHT NOW! :D
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
jan19

Post by jan19 »

We thought when we were in Amsterdam that the trams were in charge. They didn't stop for anyone, and everyone without exception got out of their way.

Lots of bikes of course, but nobody messed with those trams!

Jan :D
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

I heard people just take a bike and put it back where they found it. It isn't even considered "stealing" it happens that much.
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
karlt

Post by karlt »

How does Amsterdam deal with the tram line problem? Better than Sheffield, I'm willing to bet, where crossing the road at an almost parallel angle seems perfectly acceptable.
mjr

Post by mjr »

I think they mainly try to make cycle routes cross tram lines near-perpendicular. In outer areas where trams are going faster, they're even like level crossings:
[youtube]qUJuro-_wN0[/youtube]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUJuro-_wN0

I suspect part of the British problem with cycles and tram tracks is the popularity of narrow racing tyres. I've read that 1⅜" tyres (37mm) became popular on roadsters because it was too wide to easily fall into a tram track, but I've not taken mine anywhere with trams to try yet! I know someone who crashed a Brompton (which uses 37mm tyres IIRC) on full-size rails at a skewed disused level crossing but that was from the back wheel skidding sideways on the rail, rather than falling in.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
karlt

Post by karlt »

My off and near offs on Sheffield tracks have been slipping on wet rails rather than dropping in the slot
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

karlt wrote:My off and near offs on Sheffield tracks have been slipping on wet rails rather than dropping in the slot

Hit as close to parallel as possible, jump the front wheel over. That may be easier said than done, of course, especially with some road layouts.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
karlt

Post by karlt »

pjclinch wrote:
karlt wrote:My off and near offs on Sheffield tracks have been slipping on wet rails rather than dropping in the slot

Hit as close to parallel as possible, jump the front wheel over. That may be easier said than done, of course, especially with some road layouts.

Pete.

Virtually impossible on a 40mph dual carriageway with heavy traffic. The moment you move to the left to take the tracks at a decent angle they all come screaming past you in your lane.
mjr

Post by mjr »

karlt wrote:Virtually impossible on a 40mph dual carriageway with heavy traffic. The moment you move to the left to take the tracks at a decent angle they all come screaming past you in your lane.

Signal right as you move left but it's no fun and bad design.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

pjclinch wrote:

Pete.
Yes and what would the following motorist think? "That cyclist is all over the road - I must cut him (or her) up" :evil:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
karlt

Post by karlt »

mjr wrote:
karlt wrote:Virtually impossible on a 40mph dual carriageway with heavy traffic. The moment you move to the left to take the tracks at a decent angle they all come screaming past you in your lane.

Signal right as you move left but it's no fun and bad design.

I ended up flooring another cyclist that way. He came up on my left as I was signalling right.