Who's right?

TonyR

Who's right?

Post by TonyR »

LBC claims a new segregated cycle "superhighway" is not used by 40% of cyclists, London Cycling Commissioner says they're lying. Who's right?

http://www.politics.co.uk/comment-analy ... -about-cyc
Pete Owens

Re: Who's right?

Post by Pete Owens »

It doesn't matter what the exact ratios are - the existence of any cyclist who has the temerity to use the road when there is an adjacent path brings out the worst in a small minority of drivers. As they see it they have paid good money to fund a facility to get cyclists out of their way so their ought to be a law to force us to use it.
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

Did they mean that for every 6 cyclists on the cycle route there were another 4 riding on the immediately adjacent footways or general-use carriageway (and if so which did they ride on), or that 40% of cyclists for whom this was a feasible route chose another possible route along a different road, path, etc, altogether?
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

I wonder what proportion of motorists are currently not using the Motorways... All those expensively built roads and they don't use them! There should be a Law against it! :lol:
mjr

Post by mjr »

AlaninWales wrote:I wonder what proportion of motorists are currently not using the Motorways... All those expensively built roads and they don't use them! There should be a Law against it! :lol:

This is a retort I often use, also pointing out that in general Roads Were Not Built For Cars (.com) so they should give the rest of the roads back to cyclists. :twisted:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Explanation here. It appears it's not completed yet, and a bit of media windup by taking words out of context and omitting other facts. :evil: The conclusion is that as there's a protest it shows it's working. :wink:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Meejah with a bonnet-bee or politicians spending money... Who to trust? Probably neither, TBH.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

mjr wrote:
AlaninWales wrote:I wonder what proportion of motorists are currently not using the Motorways... All those expensively built roads and they don't use them! There should be a Law against it! :lol:

This is a retort I often use, also pointing out that in general Roads Were Not Built For Cars (.com) so they should give the rest of the roads back to cyclists. :twisted:

Tis a pity that Gilligan didn't take the same approach - robustly defending cyclists rights to ride on the carriageway - rather than gettting into an argument about how many or few cyclists were on the road thus effectively conceding the point that they shouldn't be there at all.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

MikeF wrote:Explanation here. It appears it's not completed yet, and a bit of media windup by taking words out of context and omitting other facts. :evil: The conclusion is that as there's a protest it shows it's working. :wink:

But also it appears its the usual appalling design requiring north-bound cyclists to cross a busy road twice, at either end of the bridge, to use a bi-directional track on the other side rather than building a cycle track on their side. No wonder people use the road instead and this is supposed to be a superhighway.
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

TonyR wrote:
MikeF wrote:Explanation here. It appears it's not completed yet, and a bit of media windup by taking words out of context and omitting other facts. :evil: The conclusion is that as there's a protest it shows it's working. :wink:

But also it appears its the usual appalling design requiring north-bound cyclists to cross a busy road twice, at either end of the bridge, to use a bi-directional track on the other side rather than building a cycle track on their side. No wonder people use the road instead and this is supposed to be a superhighway.

Not really, as MikeF said it just hasn't been built yet.
aseasyasridingabike wrote:Equally, if there was a northbound cycleway on the western side of the bridge, linking up with cycling infrastructure on Vauxhall gyratory (plans for which have just been announced today)

Selective misquoting is part of LBCs criticism of the Superhighway, let's not miss out facts simply in order to criticise it from the other direction.
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

Pete Owens wrote:It doesn't matter what the exact ratios are - the existence of any cyclist who has the temerity to use the road when there is an adjacent path brings out the worst in a small minority of drivers. As they see it they have paid good money to fund a facility to get cyclists out of their way so their ought to be a law to force us to use it.

Many experienced and confident cyclists can't be bothered to use cycles lanes and prefer to use the road.

I'm one.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I can't be bothered to take the risk that the facility won't just randomly stop - not a risk I take on the roads...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mjr

Post by mjr »

[XAP]Bob wrote:I can't be bothered to take the risk that the facility won't just randomly stop - not a risk I take on the roads...

You've never ridden past a "no through road" sign when it's reasonable to think that there's a way through on a cycle?

That said, I've gambled and lost on cycle tracks, but I've also gambled and won a more direct route.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I have, and I do - but generally only where I have good reason to believe that I can get through, and a significant saving by doing so.

But too many facilities just stop - and if it's a contraflow facility that means it stops with me facing oncoming traffic, which is unacceptable in my book.

From what was said above though it looks like this isn't even finished infrastructure, so we should really be asking why motorists aren't using the M14 (pick some number that doesn't exist)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

blackbike wrote:
Pete Owens wrote:It doesn't matter what the exact ratios are - the existence of any cyclist who has the temerity to use the road when there is an adjacent path brings out the worst in a small minority of drivers. As they see it they have paid good money to fund a facility to get cyclists out of their way so their ought to be a law to force us to use it.

Many experienced and confident cyclists can't be bothered to use cycles lanes and prefer to use the road.

I'm one.

Many experienced cyclists find their local cycle routes are far more dangerous than the adjoining roads.
I'm one.