Bikeability in schools

pjclinch

Re: Bikeability in schools

Post by pjclinch »

aspiringcyclist wrote:It looks like getting the car parking ban and widening of the cycle lane was a tough battle that took 10 years. I've read that pavement cycling is still a problem, though. Pavement cycling is a sign that the conditions aren't good enough, which is why I think it shouldn't be used as an example of high quality infrastructure.

Yes, pavement cycling shows that conditions aren't good enough, but it's general conditions over the whole network that have caused it to be a habit. If you cycle on the pavements anyway, why change your habits just for that road? It's an indicator, but not a smoking gun.

aspiringcyclist wrote:I'm not 100% certain about what turn you are referring to, but if I understand correctly, it's a fair point. I'm not sure on road cycle lanes provide much advantage in way of position though, perhaps just better visibility because there are no vans blocking the lane. The on road cycle path is probably quicker as you don't have to slow down and make a sharp 90 degree turn but instead change lanes and make a graceful turn if the opposing traffic is clear.

With the subjective safety of either, the popularity of segregation suggests people feel more secure. There's also the bus stops and ASLs which aren't good.

The thing I'm trying to get across isn't that one is better than the other, but that the degree to which it's clear cut depends on more than the road width and some pictures. Take that turn (forward a couple of stops in Streetview, next left, opposite the white van parked ~100m on from the start view, Zwartwatersweg) and from the pictures you're now in a 30 km/h zone and there is no other measure for bikes visible at all (in fact it's a through-route with similar connectivity to Gilbert Road). So is that street a cycling fail? Or is that street not busy enough to warrant doing anything more than the 30 km/h zone? I don't really know, because even assuming I could make objective sense of it I don't have enough information on traffic flow etc. and frankly, I don't know enough about cycle infrastructure and how it affects everything else.

What I'm trying to get at is it's not as simple as "fietspad good, on-road lane bad, end of". As Einstein said, a thing should be as simple as possible, but no simpler. Where you need the extra degree of complication it will make things work better, where you don't it will just cost more and get in the way. It takes more than a picture and an armchair expert (i.e., someone like me, quite possibly you) to reliably decide where the line goes. Someone has decided your target street there needs fietspads either side, but that Zwartwatersweg needs nothing at all: I suspect they went on a bit more info than is contained in the picture.

I'm happy to tell people what doesn't work backed up with reasons based on my own practical experience, but with a few odd exceptions coming up with an optimum solution based on the amount of info available here is in danger of underestimating the problems and overestimating our ability as lay people to fix it. "Nothing is impossible for the man that doesn't have to do it himself"...

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
aspiringcyclist

Post by aspiringcyclist »

From what I've read it sounds like it was a significant compromise, hardly a situation in which good design will come out of it. On the other hand the with the Dutch example, they probably had the freedom to do any design.

Even regular pavement cyclists will use a good infrastructure because a pavement will hold no advantage.

Here is a gallery with shots from before and after:

http://www.cyclestreets.net/galleries/241/

Because of the circumstances and result, I think this shouldn't be classed as a model to follow. It is an improvement, yes, but it still falls short from what is at least necessary to enable cycling for everyone.

I'd like to understand what the strategy is. Councils are reluctant to do anything, even in Cambridge with its high modal share ( it's similar to the modal share of the Netherlands in the 70s). How will asking what I would call 'not enough' lead to something that is good enough? This will only cater for existing cyclists and perhaps a few more, but again it won't be enable cycling for everyone. It seems the campaigning is doomed to fail this way.
mjr

Post by mjr »

aspiringcyclist wrote:I'd like to understand what the strategy is.

http://lcc.org.uk/activist-pack/ but in short it's to keep pushing, keep explaining the improvements needed and keep organising.

Councils are reluctant to do anything, even in Cambridge with its high modal share ( it's similar to the modal share of the Netherlands in the 70s).

Ah, well, if you mean what the council strategies are, they publish them as part of their Local Transport Plans and Local Development Frameworks, which most seem to fail to enact. There's now a Cycling and Walking Investment Strategy announced but not yet live http://ctc.org.uk/news/20150624-cycling ... s-go-ahead

How will asking what I would call 'not enough' lead to something that is good enough? This will only cater for existing cyclists and perhaps a few more, but again it won't be enable cycling for everyone. It seems the campaigning is doomed to fail this way.

Bang bang, more potshots at fellow campaigners? While it wasn't the ideal solution for Gilbert Road IMO and not the sort of thing that CamCycle ask for today, that was a request first made in 1995 and was still an improvement when it finally happened a few years ago. They've learned from it and moved forwards. How does obsessing over one picture and concluding "doomed to fail" help do much except depress and deter existing activists?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

aspiringcyclist wrote:From what I've read it sounds like it was a significant compromise, hardly a situation in which good design will come out of it.

That's English road environment design in a nutshell. :cry:
aspiringcyclist wrote:I'd like to understand what the strategy is.

Councils publish them. IMO, most councils have somehting decent on paper, that includes target numbers of people cycling, infrastructure goals, etc. Essex County Council has produced an excelleNt guide to design for cyclists. But in function, it's always compromise, and slightly improved designs done by engineers who prioritise motor vehicle movements.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
aspiringcyclist

Yes campaigns generally have moved foward. What LCC said was acceptable a few years ago they are now saying isn't, and being able to suggest good ways to improve it. Of course it's still down to the council/ and I don't see councillors in Westminster or most of the outer London boroughs changing their minds any time soon.

I know I've been dragging out the conversation regarding the picture for too long, but it was shown recently. The design wasn't 'bad' in the sense that it was a farcility or useless, but I don't think it should be used as the best example to emulate. That's all.
mjr

Post by mjr »

aspiringcyclist wrote:I know I've been dragging out the conversation regarding the picture for too long, but it was shown recently. The design wasn't 'bad' in the sense that it was a farcility or useless, but I don't think it should be used as the best example to emulate. That's all.

Whose banner was it? (space for cycling is a campaign started by LCC and shared by its siblings and CTC.)

Do we know whether they thought it was "the best example to emulate" rather than "an example better than most current UK streets"?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

To be fair, compromise isn't necessarily a dirty word here. Designs have to be compromises to some degree because what's perfect for pedestrians won't be perfect for cyclists or motor traffic or residents, and all the other combinations there, and (almost) everything will have to be built to a limited budget and placed in a wider context.

There is, however, a world of difference between a good compromise and a bad one. UK cycle planning and execution does tend towards the bad, Dutch and Danish to the good.

Pete.
mjr

Post by mjr »

mjr wrote:Whose banner was it? (space for cycling is a campaign started by LCC and shared by its siblings and CTC.)

Do we know whether they thought it was "the best example to emulate" rather than "an example better than most current UK streets"?

Searching a bit more and I find https://carsickglasgow.wordpress.com/20 ... edinburgh/ says it was a CTC banner but no info about their motives in making it.
aspiringcyclist

I think they probably could have found a better example even in Britain. This is a page that the Cycling Embassy considers good design. Of course Dutch features predominantly, but they have things from Britain too. I guess it's the polar opposite of ''Cycling Facility of the Month''. http://www.cycling-embassy.org.uk/good- ... eek?page=2
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

aspiringcyclist wrote:I think they probably could have found a better example even in Britain.

Fair comment. The A91 path from that selection, only jigged to show some fast traffic zooming unimpeded past some bikes also zooming along unimpeded and neither troubling the other.

Pete.
aspiringcyclist

pjclinch wrote:
aspiringcyclist wrote:I think they probably could have found a better example even in Britain.

Fair comment. The A91 path from that selection, only jigged to show some fast traffic zooming unimpeded past some bikes also zooming along unimpeded and neither troubling the other.

Pete.

Had to be too good to be true :wink:
TonyR

Bad news on Bikeability training

Post by TonyR »

The results of a recently published study are not what I had expected :sad:

Conclusions
Offering high-quality cycle training free at the point of delivery in English schools encourages children to do cycle training, but we found no evidence of short-term effects on cycling frequency or independent cycling. Future evaluation should investigate longer-term effects on these and other stated Bikeability objectives such as increasing cycling safety.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 0515005691
aspiringcyclist

Re: Bad news on Bikeability training

TonyR wrote:The results of a recently published study are not what I had expected :sad:

Conclusions
Offering high-quality cycle training free at the point of delivery in English schools encourages children to do cycle training, but we found no evidence of short-term effects on cycling frequency or independent cycling. Future evaluation should investigate longer-term effects on these and other stated Bikeability objectives such as increasing cycling safety.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 0515005691

Yeah I brought that up several pages ago. Although this may be the case, I'd say that cycle training provides a good coping mechanism ( albeit one that seems to 'force' you to be able to cycle at a reasonable speed, e.g. Cyclecraft's 20mph sprint speed), so it's a shame that most existing cyclists don't seem to know it, and worse is that the vast majority of motorists also don't know it.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Thanks, I hadn't spotted it buried in this thread until the new one I started got merged into it.